Still confused by SLOT1 & SLOT2 devices

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Carlotta_Monroe, Aug 6, 2007.

Aug 6, 2007
  1. Carlotta_Monroe
    OP

Newcomer Carlotta_Monroe Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hey guys. I've been reading up as much as I can on NDS homebrew, and I want to dive on in ASAP, but I'm still having a hard time finding answers to a few questions I have - I hope by asking here, I can finally clear them up in my mind and make a purchase. [​IMG]

I'd like to use both NDS and GBA homebrew, and I'm upto speed that the SLOT1 cards are unable to run GBA roms and homebrew.

So my questions:

1. To play both NDS and GBA roms/homebrew on my NDS Lite, is there a product that will do both?

2. If I have to purchase both a SLOT1 and a SLOT 2 device, are they separate items, or are they sold together? If they're sold separately, do they work separately also, and does this mean each device, SLOT1 and SLOT2 needs it's own separate MicroSD in order to work?

Hopefully I can finally clear this up and join the fun-wagon [​IMG]

Thanks for your help.

2. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    1. I recommend the M3 Lite for GBA and NDS homebrew and ROMS, the only game that has problems for me on it is Castlevania PoR.

2. Separate items, and if they are removable storage, they need Micro-SD's for both. I would suggest buying a Slot 1 and a Slot 2 as Slot 2 are now a little outdated and are only really good for GBA homebrew and ROMS. I could be wrong, as I only use a Slot 1 device now so I haven't kept up to date with Slot 2 things.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Most GBA slot carts, certainly the big ones (m3, g6, supercard and EZFlash) can play GBA and DS roms/homebrew. To use DS code on a GBA device you will need to either mod your firmware (most use flashme: http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/flashme/ or use a nopass (which should come as a feature for DS slot carts as well).
    There are however alternative cheap versions with limited/no GBA support such as the m3 profressional, supercard rumble and EZ4 lite compact. It has to be said also that supercards are not good at GBA in any version:
    http://rothmans.joskeonline.com/supercardsite/

Some retails do bundles but the only DS and GBA slot devices bundled as standard are the EZ5 and the 3 in 1 although there may be some older packages from before the 3 in 1.
    Assuming the carts use microSD (some have inbuilt memory) then realistically you will need 2 but you could swap (assuming they both have the same filesystem). MicroSD go for peanuts these days as long as you remember to stay the hell away from the high street:
    http://www.mobymemory.com/microSD.asp

4. Kuromadoshi

Newcomer Kuromadoshi Member

United States
    wait so, slot-1 devices can't run nds homebrew?

5. Carlotta_Monroe
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks. [​IMG]

So, say I'm not interested in GBA ROMS - since SLOT1 devices seem more up-to-date, would you recommend getting just a SLOT1 device rather than both? Or is a SLOT2 device worth it for the GBA homebrew?

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    @Kuromadoshi DS slot devices can do DS homebrew, they may struggle for early homebrew but there is little of merit there these days.

@Carlotta_Monroe personally I like GBA games, the GBA has a fairly nice selection of RPGs and puzzlers. GBA homebrew is a bit more polished as well (nesDS is very good (especially now it has DLDI) but HVCA and pocketnes (especially the forks) are still better).

7. Carlotta_Monroe
    OP

United Kingdom
    Oh my poor brain! I think I'm more confused now than before.

A Slot 2 device can run both GBA and NDS homebrew/roms with the use of a pass me card. Only one MicroSD card need.

A Slot 1 device can only run NDS homebrew/roms, but buying a separate SLOT 2 device can let me use GBA homebrew/roms - but 2 MicroSD cards are needed, or they can share one (which confuses me, but still).

What does the EZ Flash 3 in 1 Expansion Pack do? It's a SLOT2 device, but it sounds like a pass card in reverse - that is, it allows GBA homebrew/roms stored on the MicroSD card in SLOT1 devices to run - Is this correct?

Best product solution overall?

8. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    Any big slot 1(M3,R4,SCDS,G6) and the EZF 3 in 1 are your best bet. Get a 1GB Kingston MicroSD for your memory card(G6 Real has internal memory). Yes, you are correct with the ROMs being stored on the slot 1 for the EZF.

9. Carlotta_Monroe
    OP

United Kingdom
    Excellent. I'm on track now - Thanks for your help everyone!

10. Carlotta_Monroe
    OP

United Kingdom
    One last thing (!) - I've decided to go with the CycloDS Evo I think.

Is there any particular SLOT2 device that works best in conjunction with the CycloDS Evo?

11. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    most probably a EZ V 3in1 since they just added support in the last firmware update

an EZ4deluxe is the best slot 2 available though

12. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States
    Dont get a slot2. They are quickly falling out of favor. Get both or just a slot 1. Just getting a slot 2 will require iffy patching too.s and a nopass card, which are expensive;

13. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    however, if you use a slot 1 and slot 2 combination, you get the best of both worlds
    ram, rumble, gba, homebrew etc