Stickied News Thumbnails

Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I think that there should be more care taken with the handling of stickied news, as it would appear that someone has been rather lazy and hotlinked a 1280×1024 image from wallpaperbase.

Now you may not think that this is very important, but considering that it's being used for a 100px tall image (so it doesn't even display properly) and that it adds an extra 4 seconds of load time.......
2011-08-26_1904.png

(plus hotlinking isn't a very nice thing to do anyway)

For future image optimization, I must recommend Yahoo's SmushIt tool.

*it might be acceptable in regular threads, but on the page with the most traffic? I think not. Some webmasters are very strict about hotlinking and have referrer based images, so while someone is linking to a relevent image, it could appear to visitors as anything which in the worst case could be illegal and/or shocking material. Family friendly indeed.

Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
ron975 said:
Also the LoZ news thumbnail is just broken.
It's been stealthily resolved, and is now working. I was going to mention that too but didn't even notice that there wasn't an image there in the first place.

EDIT: Here, have some proof. Totally not just because I can.
2011-08-26_1934.png

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Antoligy said:
ron975 said:
It's been stealthily resolved, and is now working. I was going to mention that too but didn't even notice that there wasn't an image there in the first place.

2011-08-26_1934.png
Whatchu' Talkin Bout?
brokenoz.png

And before anyone asks, yes, I cleared my cache

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's strange. It only takes about 2 secs for me to load that page.
unsure.gif

Though sometimes it takes a little longer.

ron975 said:
Antoligy said:
ron975 said:

2011-08-26_1934.png
Whatchu' Talkin Bout?
brokenoz.png

And before anyone asks, yes, I cleared my cache
It's working just fine on my end.

Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
KirbyBoy said:
unsure.gif

That's local content, not including external content. And it's relative to the browser you're using (Firefox and Chrome are designed to make pages look like they're loading faster). I'm looking at website optimization objectively, and any external resources are regarded as part of a page's final load-time.
There's other things that really need to be implemented here, as summarized by Google's user-friendly test.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Antoligy said:
KirbyBoy said:
unsure.gif

That's local content, not including external content. And it's relative to the browser you're using (Firefox and Chrome are designed to make pages look like they're loading faster). I'm looking at website optimization objectively, and any external resources are regarded as part of a page's final load-time.
There's other things that really need to be implemented here, as summarized by Google's user-friendly test.
Ah, I see (I'm using FireFox btw). I didn't noticed any slow down.

But it's fixed now so now worries.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Antoligy said:
KirbyBoy said:
unsure.gif

Hopefully it'll come with the new forum update.

Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
ron975 said:
Antoligy said:
KirbyBoy said:
unsure.gif

Hopefully it'll come with the new forum update.
Some of the improvements are pretty easy to implement /without/ any major changes (though though they'd obviously have to be re-implemented with the update process anyways). Stuff like minification (which is literally just taking out all the unnecessary spaces, tabs and newlines - things that that is only left in to make later modification easier) and image optimization can be done in bulk via shell scripts.

There are also a tonne of MySQL and PHP improvements that could be made, which could come whenever.

shadowmanwkp

Your roms are on another rom site
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Crude HTML editing ahoy!

Now in all seriousness, I expected some simple img tags with some custom coding, or text pasted onto the image. However, it appears that the thumbnails are simple table cells with backgrounds with a hyperlink in front of it. Because tables don't resize the image, they get cut off as you can see in the screenshot of that wallpaper. What's even more bizarre is that it is set to be relevant to the width of the page! You can see that in the zelda article screenshot. If it is set as a background, it will repeat if the width is too great. Just try toying around with the width of your browser window, you'll see what I mean, images will get cut off, or get repeated, while other images don't.

I'd just use an img tag up there that resizes its witdth along with the page, because the code with the thumbs is a frigging mess. A golden rule with making a website is resize images BEFORE using html to resize them. Otherwise you can get the thing anthology mentioned. It might take you an extra 10 seconds, but it also saves a lot of hassle for the users.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You could say the same for a couple or so threads that used to be popular, I guess.