Sterling's The Legend of Zelda OoT 3D Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Reviews & Guides' started by Sterling, Jun 21, 2011.

Jun 21, 2011
  1. Sterling
    OP

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

The Legend of Zelda is a highly acclaimed action adventure series by Nintendo. The Ocarina of Time was Link's first foray into the 3D world. This game is a blast back to the past for many, and a incredible game for newer players. The 3D iteration holds true to the original game in many ways, while providing new experiences with secrets, easter eggs, and new control schemes. The main problems I had with the original game has been fixed and improved upon, but a few do still remain.

Gameplay: 8/10

The gameplay feels almost untouched at the core. However, new motion controls sometimes make it a pain to look around. They do work well most times though, so they weren't just tacked on. The other problems I have isn't because of the game, but because of the size of the System. I have big hands so I get cramps easily from cycling targets.

Dungeon exploring is still the same. Untouched and unchanged. While this is good for many people, some wanted bigger improvements. For many though, the nostalgia factor is more important than revamping a tried and true system. Especially since Nintendo wasn't in charge of the remake, the chances of a screw up were fairly high. Though Grezzo did a great job on the graphics and surprised even me.

Graphics: 8/10

The graphics have received a huge overhaul. So much so, that it's hard to sneeze at. Places like the Town Square and shop fronts are now fully rendered scenes. A much needed improvement. Textures are now less blocky, and blend much more seamless than in the original. Things such as dirt paths on Hyrule field, or the drag marks from the grave stones in the village below Death Mountain. Trees, and flowers even look much more integrated into the environment. Even the water has a much improved hue and clarity. The game really showcases the 3D effect from the system itself. Things like the Bombchu alley are somewhat easier to play. The new view system now lets you look before you jump too. The graphics themselves really make the story a fresh experience even though they aren't the best, or the most glitch free on the system.

Story - 8/10

The story itself is a epic tale, spun from the Goddess' energy. That being said, I am not judging it based upon the standards of a decade later. The story itself is outdated, but not by depth. The depth comes from the mysticism and wonder of the land. The story lacks dialogue, but the newly added vision system really tells the story well too. The story is well made, even if the written words are few and far in between. Video game stories nowadays all seem to miss that added effect the player experiences when they encounter that monster the first time, of that last boss kidnapping your friend. They seem to focus on the tale itself. Which isn't a bad thing, it's just a newer way of spinning the yarn. Many people who cut their teeth on epics like the Elder Scrolls won't find the game appealing, but in my opinion, this release brings modern gaming back to it's roots.

Glitches/Other coding Gremlins - 9/10

Grezzo did a great job with their bug/glitch department. There aren't any glitches I've encountered so far that have impeded or frustrated me yet. So far, only a few graphical glitches have come up, but almost perfect so far.

Lasting Appeal - 10/10

With the addition of a boss rush and the inclusion of the Master Quest, long time fans don't have anything to lose by getting this game. Newer players, won't have any trouble jumping right in either. They have the perfect balance of content to keep people interested, and it is definitely worth the purchase. Unless you are a skeptic, or you just didn't like Ocarina of Time on the N64, or the other platforms it was released on, don't bother.

Final Score: 8.8/10 - The retelling and re-imaging of the "Best Game so Far" is even more intriguing and compelling than it's first release. It continues to live up to it's name, and always will for fans and enthusiasts alike. This re-imagining will ensure that the Legend of Zelda series continues to garner fans for another generation or two.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 - This release keeps all the wonder and amazement the original carried, while still feeling like a new game. If you liked the original, you will hands down consider this *the* Nintendo Release of the 3DS for quite some time.

//Reviwer's EDIT: I made a few changes. I changed the graphics score to an 8 because as I was posting here, I did notice a few graphical glitches that weren't in the original when I booted it up on my Wii. Also, spelling and some punctuation errors.

2. Langin

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    Nice review guy!

Also you use a nice template.

You go into detail a bit. Also you could have give some more info on the in game music. The in-game music is not untouched it's remixed a bit but still it is a great soundtrack!(example of remix Bongo like in the Hyrule field main theme)

Also could you give a more detail on the begin of the story? Like I did, you start with Link with his nightmare. Then you will end up in the first dungeon etc. [​IMG]

And at last, you could tell more on the item, status, equipment screens how they were in the old games.(clumsy, hard to use, etc.)

Hmm I see you have forgotten to detail on the Sheikah Stones which can help on your way if you are stuck in the game! [​IMG]

3. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    Very nice review. This is awesome, I'm getting the game today! And this review has got me extra excited.

4. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Graphics 10/10? Honest unbiased rating?

5. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Yeah, I have to agree. If I was reviewing, I'd have given the game a 6/10 for ugly graphics.

The 3DS could have done so much better.

6. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    Okay, 6/10 is horrible for a great looking game. And I think if he was biased he would have mainly given the game play a 10/10.

7. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Well he basing it from a jump from the 64 not what the 3ds can do. Tbh 8ish/10?

Anyway glitches can be amusing. [​IMG]

8. Paarish

Member Paarish Connor's Nublet

United Kingdom
    The graphics aren't the best for OoT. Granted it's an improvement from the original. But the 3DS could do better

9. ShawnTRods

United Kingdom
    Well, improvements of a game that was released more than 10 years ago.. not THAT much of a huge step up, was it?

but yeah, 7-8 out of 10 would sound more reasonable.

10. Sterling
    OP

United States
    I'm looking at it from the 3DS point of view. Hands down the best game on the system so far. I'm not being biased either. Many of you want me to look at it like it was a console game. If this was on the Wii, it would be inexcusable. This is not the Wii however. This is a handheld.

The colours and the animations are much smoother. The famerate is steady, and smooth. It plays 10x better than the original release.

Given the time they had to revamp all the graphics, increase the framerate and keep it steady and port all the code, yes it is a huge step up. Look I'll lower it, but I'm telling you. They squeezed all the power they could in the amount of time they did. The very fact that it keeps nearly all the nostalgia and feels like a new game at the same time attests to this.

11. Paarish

United Kingdom
    DoA had better graphics than this. Just saying...

12. Sterling
    OP

United States
    Open World Action Adventure game, or Beat 'em Up fighter? Hmm, considering the circumstances and the fact that I don't own DoA Dimensions, I'd have to side with OoT on this one. DoA Dimensions doesn't compete.

EDIT: DoA Dimensions does indeed have great levels of detail, but how you're comparing it to a totally different genre (which in fact requires different demand of resources) is silly. OoT has open fields, dungeons and transitions without many loading screens. DoA Dimensions is going to look better because it simply doesn't have to work as hard to do it. I dropped it down to an 8. Does that seem more fair guys?

13. Paarish

United Kingdom
    Well I still don't think it deserves a 10. Maybe a 7 or 8. And I also play the "MGS: 3D" Card.

14. Sterling
    OP

United States
    I don't think that's been released yet though. I also read around here that the detail in it has dropped since E3. (Or where ever it was shown.)

15. Paarish

United Kingdom
    Yeah, that's what I heard as well, but graphically it's still superior.

16. ShawnTRods

United Kingdom
    No matter from what perspective you see, graphics isnt 10/10, period.

In other words, its pretty mediocre and acceptable. Nothing to get hyped about.

17. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    MGS:3D is actually beginning to look worse than first thought judging by the video available. If anything Resident Evil: Revelations is going to be the game at this point that really shows what the 3DS can pull off.

The genre also has no bearing on graphics. Being blunt, that was a dumb statement to iterate. Favoring a genre doesn't automatically discount the perks of another. DoA Dimensions doesn't look worse just because it isn't LoZ, or just because it's a fighter. If the game looks good, it looks good.

18. Paarish

United Kingdom
    Don't get me wrong, I think the games is graphically brilliant. What I am saying is it's not worth a 10.

19. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    I can't think of a single game ever made where the graphics deserve a 10. Some of the games with the best graphics have graphical glitches that hurt it, or certain aspects aren't utilized well enough. Game testers should work harder to have those things found and fixed.

20. Sterling
    OP

United States
    I'm still puzzled why the graphics are "Mediocre and Acceptable". OoT isn't in the same style as DoA, or Resident Evil. It is a major point in my review because of how much they have been updated. I'm judging it like a 3DS game, and not a Wii, or 360 game. It's a handheld game, plain and simple. If you took any of the afore mentioned games and put them on a TV right now, they would look terrible. I'm saying they are the best example of graphics on the 3DS. I'll admit, I overlooked DoA:D, and Mercenaries, so I did overstate them a bit. To call them mediocre and acceptable is absolutely and understatement. It's at an 8 now, which I've read, and decided would be appropriate because so far, it's the 3rd best looking game on the system right now. Is this acceptable?

Also, the only Graphical glitches so far are flashing fish in the fishing pond.