HNI_0077.JPG

I just received my much anticipated Deal Extreme GBA Clone (Original
tongue.gif
). I have to say it's a pretty good one too. It comes with everything you need:

USB Link Cable
Charger
Unit
(Pics are in the spoiler)
Sorry for the Half-assed pics, but I had to use my DSi.

HNI_0086.JPG

HNI_0081.JPG

HNI_0084.JPG

HNI_0087.JPG

HNI_0079.JPG
When I first put it in my hands, I noticed that it has a great feel to it. Very good build quality. A couple of differences I noticed between the Original, and the clone is the fact the buttons click, and the plastic feels different. Also there is the fact that it will not boot GB/GBC games (Cartridge or otherwise) only GBA cartridges, and I haven't been able to boot any gba home brew either. When you first boot it up, you'll get a laggy GBA start up screen. Then it will go to a complete menu of the games stored on it. I have to hand it to the Chinese, they have an image of every game I can throw at it. (A screen Shot) All the games I have tested, have worked. The only one that seems to lose playability is Golden Sun 1 & 2 (That's what I wanted to play. :/), and that's only on the world map. It also allows you to use saves for games you have played before (like backups), just make sure the save is the EXACT name of the rom. The speaker is good, and plays sounds pretty loud.

Presentability: Has great feel, and build quality. Buttons play nice, and has a rechargeable battery... 9/10

Game loading: Almost all games are run from internal flash, but you can still run GBA game carts. With lack of GB/GBC cart loading... 6/10

Rom Compatibility: Most GBA games work great. A few not so much. 9/10

Overall: Not only is it a great GBA clone, it's an Original GBA clone. 8/10

Here is a poster that confirms what I experienced with this clone.
biggrin.gif

Thaddius, has clarified a few things I was unable to test.
smile.gif

Links to buy: (if you don't need/want to then don't read the spoiler.)

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
airpirate545 said:
Nice review. Might buy this, but a couple of questions. How does the Mother 3 translation work and what is exactly wrong with GS 1+2?
I'll try that in a sec.
GS 1&2 both have a severe slowdown problem on the world map. If you turn the sound down, and play it that way on the world map it's playable.

EDIT: Looks like it works fine.

arielp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
actually i'm planning to get one (purple), i do have the original purple,

since you already got it?

there is some question, '
- is there any slowdown? mario kart for example?
- frame rate? are they steady and fluid like the original?
(cause my dsiplayer gba emulator does not have fluid motion like the original)
- as the screen is 320x240, i need your own opinion, whether the image stretching really noticeable or not.
- battery life? adv for 3 hour, is it longer/shorter?
- battery seems removeable, is it? nokia compatible battery (lot of chinese product use Nokia BL type batteries)

Thank You.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
arielp said:

- is there any slowdown? mario kart for example? -I'll check mario kart, and get back to you on that. Some games have minor slowdowns when a lot of sprites come on screen at one time (lord of the rings for example).-
- frame rate? are they steady and fluid like the original? -Most games play like the original. (At least the way I remember it)-
- as the screen is 320x240, i need your own opinion, whether the image stretching really noticeable or not. -Nope, it really doesn't bother me-
- battery life? adv for 3 hour, is it longer/shorter? -From my experience, it does seem to have a short battery life 3-4 is my estimation-
- battery seems removeable, is it? nokia compatible battery (lot of chinese product use Nokia BL type batteries) -I would not know that, but if you do get one, you may be able to shed some light on it-

Thank You.

Answers to questions in bold.
smile.gif

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Wow. Nice review
smile.gif

I just might get one myself. I've been looking to get a GBA expansion (or whatever they are called) for my NDS but this looks better than that.

arielp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Sterl500 said:
arielp said:

- is there any slowdown? mario kart for example? -I'll check mario kart, and get back to you on that. Some games have minor slowdowns when a lot of sprites come on screen at one time (lord of the rings for example).-
- frame rate? are they steady and fluid like the original? -Most games play like the original. (At least the way I remember it)-
- as the screen is 320x240, i need your own opinion, whether the image stretching really noticeable or not. -Nope, it really doesn't bother me-
- battery life? adv for 3 hour, is it longer/shorter? -From my experience, it does seem to have a short battery life 3-4 is my estimation-
- battery seems removeable, is it? nokia compatible battery (lot of chinese product use Nokia BL type batteries) -I would not know that, but if you do get one, you may be able to shed some light on it-

Thank You.

Answers to questions in bold.
smile.gif

Thanks for the answer
wink.gif
, ordered just now (purple) from DX, looking forward to receive it within next week (to Indonesia, DX shipment only takes about a week)
i found this quite worthed, rather than buying SP and another SUpercard + 2GB minisd.
also i love the design of the original

trans am

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nice review, if the buttons make a click I imagine it's because they use micro-switches instead of contacts. Seems like a nice clone.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Overlord Nadrian said:
kalmis said:
o0ICE0o said:
Compared to an SP's backlight, how bright is it?

And how about AGS-101 if you know?

Good review btw. Tad dear for a clone though.
Expensive? No, essentially you get a brand new system AND games for only $50, which is nothing.

And internal memory to put the games into, not bad, this way you don't need an expensive GBA flashcart.
I'm worried about the streaching of the screen though, not having a native resolution 1:1 with the real thing it's bound to look not as pixel perfect, but I guess I will have to hold one on my hands to judge.
Also I would love to hold it and see how the color saturation/ response time / backlite is compared to the GBA SP2.
The sites says that is compatible with GB and GB colors games, but i guess only in emulated form , not the real cartridge ( after all the first 100 games are GBA games, the rest NES converted games as I understand ).
Like I said, I will have to hold one and see if it feels right for myself, but yeah, for less then $50 bucks you really can't go wrong !

arielp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Arm73 said:
Overlord Nadrian said:
kalmis said:
o0ICE0o said:
Compared to an SP's backlight, how bright is it?

And how about AGS-101 if you know?

Good review btw. Tad dear for a clone though.
Expensive? No, essentially you get a brand new system AND games for only $50, which is nothing.

And internal memory to put the games into, not bad, this way you don't need an expensive GBA flashcart.
I'm worried about the streaching of the screen though, not having a native resolution 1:1 with the real thing it's bound to look not as pixel perfect, but I guess I will have to hold one on my hands to judge.
Also I would love to hold it and see how the color saturation/ response time / backlite is compared to the GBA SP2.
The sites says that is compatible with GB and GB colors games, but i guess only in emulated form , not the real cartridge ( after all the first 100 games are GBA games, the rest NES converted games as I understand ).
Like I said, I will have to hold one and see if it feels right for myself, but yeah, for less then $50 bucks you really can't go wrong !

that also my concern, buying another GBA slot-2 solution + 2GB will cost more than 20US, that is why i consider the price is reasonable.

the screen resolution also my concern as not 1:1, but mine will arrive within 6 days (today just shipped from DX), i will post a macro shot of the screen here. so everybody can compare/judge how bad/good the scaling.

rumors said that it does read real GBA catridge, but doesn't read / write the save file from the catridge but from the internal flash..seems weird.

can't wait mine to arrive
wink.gif

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It'd be pretty sweet if the battery cover is removable. I think I remember reading (maybe on DX?) that it's glued shut but I might be wrong. If you can remove it, I have like 15 GBA SP batteries lying around. Not that I'd bring 15 with me but having 1 or 2 charged up and ready to swap when the battery dies is better than only having only 3 hours of play time.

This looks like a sweet gadget though. I think at least one of my GBA flash carts cost more than $50, and this not only replaces one but is a functional system too!

To me the GC\GBA connector working seems dubious. These GBA communication port looking plugs have been floating around China bootleg factories for a while now. I own a NES clone that looks like a GBA and has two of those so you can add extra controllers (damned if I could find controllers that you could connect to it though).

The point is that the port might look like a regular GBA comm port but it could be something completely different. When mine arrives I'll try it out (I have a spare ereader lying around) but I'm sure someone else will find out for reals by then.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
arielp said:
that also my concern, buying another GBA slot-2 solution + 2GB will cost more than 20US, that is why i consider the price is reasonable.

the screen resolution also my concern as not 1:1, but mine will arrive within 6 days (today just shipped from DX), i will post a macro shot of the screen here. so everybody can compare/judge how bad/good the scaling.

rumors said that it does read real GBA catridge, but doesn't read / write the save file from the catridge but from the internal flash..seems weird.

can't wait mine to arrive
wink.gif

I don't know about that (I read it in one of DX's reviews though), but it will read GBA carts.

QUOTE(Jaems @ Mar 20 2010, 12:07 PM) Does the connector at the top allow for GBA-GCN link?
And how is the framerate compared to original games?

Thanks.

If I still had that GC -> GBA link and Pokemon box GC utility, I could test it... but alas I do not. :/

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Sterl500 said:
Jaems said:
Does the connector at the top allow for GBA-GCN link?
And how is the framerate compared to original games?

Thanks.

If I still had that GC -> GBA link and Pokemon box GC utility, I could test it... but alas I do not. :/

Does it perform normal link cable functions with a real GBA? If it does it will probably to the GC-GBA link

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?