Step down 12 volts to 7.5

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by the_raging_snorlax, Apr 15, 2014.

1. I'm trying to get my retro consoles and PS1 screen to run off the cigarette lighter in my car. I have a PTH08080 which will step down 12 volts to 5 with an efficiency of 93.5% which is perfect for my SNES and Mega Drive (the two best consoles of all time :)). The problem is the PS1 screen needs somewhere between 8.5 and 6.9 volts to run. I don't want to use a 7808 regulator because they are very inefficient and I don't want to be stuck with a dead car battery in the morning. I've done a bit of searching and found a recomendation for an MC34063 chip. I figure its best to ask for advice before I start buying and soldering stuff together.

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Well, I would highly recommend installing a second battery in your car, if you want to do some gaming whilst the engine is turned off (seeing you said you wouldn't want a flat battery in the morning)
    Other then that, voltage regulators are your best bet.
    Othet then hooking up resistors to the line...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice