Hacking Step by step help?

Rammoth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, thanks for even coming into this topic, since the topic title has written n00b all over the place.

Here's the thing. I'm very up to date concerning modchips etc but the whole wii hacking has left me clueless. I do read the topics every now and then and get bits and pieces of information, but I've refused to go homebrew thus far.

However, the #002 error has gotten me worried. If NFS can have it, probably a lot more games will in the future, so I've decided I'll just go into the whole homebrew thing, but since I'm starting late, I've missed out on important stuff to keep in mind. I know I can find every part of information on sites like wiibrew, but for my own safety of doing something wrong that might screw up my wii, I'm asking your people's help to tell me step by step of what to do.

My setup is:
- PAL Wii
- Wiikey v1
- Firmware 3.1E

The things I want to accomplish through homebrew:
- Make Wii Shop work as intended (as I plan on buying Rock Band 2 songs when it's released)
- Keep my firmware at 3.1 or 3.2 (preferably without downgrading from a higher version)
- Have trucha signed discs and freeloader work still
- Get rid of the #002 error

That's all I really need. If anyone is willing to give me a step by step plan, you'd be helping me out greatly and perhaps a lot of other people who don't really know what to do in order to get into the whole homebrew thing as well.

Thanks a lot!

toastert2003

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright, get twilight princess, and go find the twilight hack for your region of the twilight princess disc, since you are modded, doesn't matter whether it's copied or original, long as you have a working copy.

follow the instructions for the twilight hack.

go get Homebrew Channel i think i'm on 8beta it would probably be the easiest route for you since you are new.

follow the instructions, install it.

then, whatever else you desire, by this point you should be getting the hang of installing stuff, find the wiigator blog and download the files for backup launcher .3gamma

(i tell you to get gamma because, i don't... for 1 have a chip, and i've actually heard from several of my friends that gamma is more compatible right now than there (possibly out of date wiikey 1's))

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before you do anything, head over to wiibrew.org and look up the twilight hack. you'll need zelda twilight princess to execute the hacked save file you can download from there which will allow you to install the homebrew channel (grab the installer for that from there as well and put the boot.dol or boot.elf file on the root of your sd card) boot the game, open the hacked save and follow the on-screen instructions

Once you have that installed, all you'll need to do is read the instructions included with most homebrew packages. You'll be making a folder called apps on your sd card and sorting every homebrew app into an individual folder within it. homebrew channel runs apps from 3 files, a boot file (boot.dol or boot.elf), an icon.png (which is a preview graphic for each application) and a meta.xml which is a simple html-type file with certain fields to give a text listing for each app.

Since you have a Wiikey, don't bother with backuploaders since it's plenty of work for something you can already do. stick with the updates wiikey releases for your chip.

Good luck!

Posts merged

toastert2003 said:
alright, get twilight princess, and go find the twilight hack for your region of the twilight princess disc, since you are modded, doesn't matter whether it's copied or original, long as you have a working copy.

follow the instructions for the twilight hack.

go get Homebrew Channel i think i'm on 8beta it would probably be the easiest route for you since you are new.

follow the instructions, install it.

then, whatever else you desire, by this point you should be getting the hang of installing stuff, find the wiigator blog and download the files for backup launcher .3gamma

he has a wiikey

backup loader = waste of time for him

Rammoth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you both for your replies
smile.gif
I'll try it out

Site & Scene News