foreverseeking

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I used to own an R4i card (the first one to come out at r4i-sdhc.com, in theory the 'original / genuine' one) before the 1.4 patch came out, and was hit by the bomb that I'd need to buy a new "1.4-compatible" card to use my R4i card with my 1.4 DSi.

So imagine my frustration when it turns out I can't even use that to play on 1.4.1 and they re-release the card AGAIN, expecting me to buy another card. I got cross at this point and decided instead of buying R4i, I was going to check out the website and e-mail the retailer.

The official R4i site says:

Products labeled “V1.4” do not support NDSI V1.4.1 hardware upgrade temporarily, please do not upgrade your NDSI to V1.4.1 version. We are solving this issue.We feel terribly sorry for any inconvenience it may cause.

I e-mailed the R4i team twice asking when an update would be forthcoming and to my surprise I actually got a response:

30/Oct:

we still working on it now !

B,rgds!

Cathy
www.r4i-sdhc.com service center

I obviously wasn't too impressed with this although I was happy there was someone reading their e-mails, so I repeated again my request for a date twice and got a second response.

05/Nov:

ten days more around !

B,rgds!

Cathy
www.r4i-sdhc.com service center

I have sent 4 e-mails since (after waiting for 10 days to pass of course) with no response.

I am convinced they only put up the "We're working on it" message on their website to try and stall for time, but an update will NOT be forthcoming.

Just a warning for anyone wanting to buy a "genuine" R4i - while they work great, they're not updatable, and I doubt the manufacturers intend for them to be.

The silver lining in the story is that I wrote to dscardworld where I bought it from and they were nice enough to change it for a newer 1.4.1 version, I'm guessing they're not very happy with the situation themselves since they must have lost a bit of money posting a new card back to me and then trying to yell at the manufacturers about this one. But still - be careful about whether your card is upgradable!

-FS

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
People here already knows to stay clear of all R4 clones

not because they don't work on 1.4.1, but because they are cheap, fake, copies
and the R4i-sdhc is no exception

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
only a few R4 cards that are Acekard clones have 1.4.1 updates available...
among which the R4i Gold, the R4iDSN and a few others...

foreverseeking

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, excellent. lol

Although last time I checked, the R4i-SDHC isn't a clone, it's the 'original' (not that that's worth much anymore these days I guess) R4i card. It's just not very good.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You know, people complaining about having to buy a new flashcart because of 1.4.1 should consider the price of one genuine new release DS game, realise that you can buy 3 average flashcarts for the same price and the stop whining.

Even if you have to buy a new cart every 6 months piracy is still way cheaper than buying real games.

Etalon

Former Akaio Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macau
mechagouki said:
You know, people complaining about having to buy a new flashcart because of 1.4.1 should consider the price of one genuine new release DS game, realise that you can buy 3 average flashcarts for the same price and the stop whining.

Even if you have to buy a new cart every 6 months piracy is still way cheaper than buying real games.

Actually, that's true.

Game compatibility of "R4i SDHC" (DSTT clone) seems to be much better than CycloDS, Edge & M3 right now. And the card is quite cheap. There's no much reason to complain, if you know what you buy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr