1. 2,574

Front-page
    hqdefault.jpg

Steam's Remote Play Together feature has been around for a little while now, giving players the chance to experience local multiplayer games with friends across the internet. So long as one person owns a copy of a game, they're able to stream it to another user's computer, where they'll be able to play with them, just as if they were in the same room together. The feature has seen some updates and bugfixes here and there, but today's latest patch sees something a little more interesting being added. Currently available in beta is Remote Play Together's Invite Anyone function, which lets a Steam user invite a non-Steam user to their session. Now, invite links can be generated and sent to players who don't have a Steam account at all--just so long as they have Steam or the Steam Link app installed on their device.

:arrow: Source

Charli, E1ite007, smallissue and 14 others like this.
  2. Discussion (11 replies)

3. x65943

x65943 the end is nigh, buy doge coin
    Global Moderator

United States
    Nice, although admittedly pretty much anyone I would want to play a game with has a steam account.

Maybe this would be helpful for trying to set up impromptu game sessions with less tech savvy family members tho.

E1ite007, rad140, Orangy57 and 5 others like this.
  4. Plasmaster09

Plasmaster09 Social Justice Potato

United States
    well this is going to be an interesting source of catastrophic Steam hacking discoveries

5. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Nyan-binary

United States
    If you don't have a steam account, why would you have the steam app?

6. Seliph

Seliph Bugsnax Advocate

United States
    Even though I imagine most people will already have Steam accounts this seems pretty dope since it means that people who don't own a certain game can play it with someone who does have it and they won't have to pay for it. Pretty neat!

rad140, yoyoyo69 and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  7. CanIHazWarez

CanIHazWarez GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I tried to use Remote Play on Saturday, forcing people to download steam/create an account. They said it was extremely pixelated anyway, so we ended up not using it.

8. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

United States
    Sounds cool to me...! Most my old friends & family live in London & I've been in USA for 10 years now so it might be good if it actually works well...

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  9. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops

United States
    Yeah, I've tried Remote Play from one PC to another that couldn't run the game as smoothly. Both PCs were connected to the router via Ethernet, and while Soulcalibur 6 was playable well enough, with little input lag, the picture quality, even when set to "Best" could get pixellated at times.

This is still a great development though, as someone who used Parsec to great results to play fighting games with an older brother of mine with results that he personally described as being as if he was playing the game perfectly fine at my house! :)

CanIHazWarez and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  10. HarvHouHacker

HarvHouHacker Owner of the Rock Band Customs Project

United States
    Finally, I can play LEGO games with my buddy Doctor Timbrwulf! :D

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  11. XXLANCEXX

XXLANCEXX GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    ....so parsec but steams version?
    Gotcha.

12. mrcroket

mrcroket Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Spain
    If anyone wants to play local games online with good quality and nearly 0 latency, use parsec. It works much better than steam remote play and can be used in chrome.

Last edited by mrcroket, Feb 27, 2021
  13. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Latency between Europe and USA is very high in my experience. Too high for a good experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Together, without, account