Steam's Remote Play Together feature is out of beta, local multiplayer games are now on sale

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 21, 2019.

Front-page
    7uGqHJz.

Launching after just over a month in beta is Steam's new Remote Play Together feature, which allows Steam users to get together and play local multiplayer games over the internet. All you have to do is start up a game, go over to your friends list, and select a player who you'd like to invite to play multiplayer with. Remote Play Together officially supports up to 4 players at once, but more can join in, though things can get a little laggy if someone's got a bad connection. You can take advantage of playing couch co-op games with others, regardless of platform. All you need is Steam, for Windows, MacOS, or Linux, or alternatively, the Steam Link app for Android/iOS.

Additionally, Steam is also holding a sale specifically focusing on games with local multiplayer, such as Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, Overcooked, Towerfall Ascension, and a ton of LEGO games.

:arrow: Source
    :arrow: Steam Sale

Discussion (18 replies)
  1. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    So it's parsec basically?

2. Fabian Schuchhardt

Fabian Schuchhardt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    GBAtemp Patron
    Fabian Schuchhardt is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 28, 2015
    Germany
    Germany, Hessen, Bebra-Breitenbach
    Yeah but built into steam. So no friend need to install something other than steam

Zense and x65943 like this.
  3. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    @Chary You know what this means.... 2 player sonic adventure 2 battle. :ninja:

I mean uhh 4 player sonic mania streams. :creep:

4. WiiHomebrew+Snes

WiiHomebrew+Snes GBAtemp Fan

May 4, 2016
    United States
    Steam games only?

5. Necron

Necron Lurking~

Dec 29, 2008
    Chile
    Mi casa
    Yes

WiiHomebrew+Snes likes this.
  6. supergamer368

supergamer368 this isn’t bookworm adventures deluxe

May 22, 2016
    United States
    Zanzibar Island, 5:00 PM
    That’d be cool if I could actually convince any of my friends to play with me. The only games we’ve played recently are Minecraft and Garfield Kart.

7. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    Both are an excellent point.

8. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    How is the input lag? Anyways parsec will remain better in my eyes until you can use this on emulators.

9. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo ToMClassic

pip Reviewer
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    You can actually get around this pretty easily since it's purely an artificial limitation, you just need to hijack a Steam game that supports Remote Play Together and replace it with the program you want to use and bam, you get Remote Play Together with whatever.

So for example you can install Heave Ho, backup and delete the game files, put a Dolphin install in the Heave Ho folder and rename Dolphin.exe to HeaveHo.exe (or whatever the exe is named) and then launch Heave Ho from Steam. It'll launch Dolphin instead, and you can use the Remote Play Together stuff if you wanted to.

As for input lag, it's not too bad. I've used Parsec before and I'd probably say it's about the same the majority of the time, maybe even better in some games. Also MUCH easier to setup, too.

10. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    Its a little uncharacteristically lame of Valve to not support non-steam games here like they do for most things. Particularly considering that workaround.

11. Windi

Windi Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2019
    Germany
    Although Dolphin has Netplay, which is probably a better option if you want to play with someone

Fabian Schuchhardt likes this.
  12. Xanthe

Xanthe Costco Executive Member

Dec 23, 2015
    United States
    I'm not sure I would ever really use this. All of my friends have gaming-capable computers and good internet connection. I enjoy this concept, but I feel like I would only use this feature in rare scenarios.

Extra thought though, I wonder if this would work with pirated games, perhaps allowing the users to join their friends in a local game mode?

Last edited by Xanthe, Nov 21, 2019
  13. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo ToMClassic

pip Reviewer
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    It's not a matter of having a good PC or internet connection, that's not what this is targeted at. This allows you to play games that only have local multiplayer, with people online.

14. Xanthe

Xanthe Costco Executive Member

Dec 23, 2015
    United States
    Correct, but like I said, I probably won't find this useful. I live with the friends I game with. I don't need co-op. In my life, I would only find this necessary if I had a distant friend with a poor PC.

I didn't say this applied to everyone, buddy.

15. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Yeah! C'mon Valve, when are you gonna start adding useful features to EGS? We know Epic isn't gonna do it. :lol:

Taleweaver likes this.
  16. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Anyone tried this with pirated games yet?

Last edited by LightyKD, Nov 23, 2019
  17. James_

James_ *Meowstic noises*

Oct 2, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Meowstic Land
    I see, you and your friends have great taste

18. Kraken_X

Kraken_X Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2018
    United States
    ... and you only need 1 copy of the game for 4 players. That's huge for online multiplayer.