Homebrew steam vr on new 3ds?

awoomaster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
hey, i have a sort of a knock off google cardborad vr headset that needs a phone to work. i purchaced rVRy premium for oculus and samsung gear vr headets thinking it would connect to my samsung galaxy watch, it didnt and it didnt connect to the mobile version of the app. so while i wait for the refund for the porper version, i got out my new 3ds xl and played some games, then i wondered if i could pair steam vr with my 3ds. so i looked online to see if anyone has done it, not that i can see of.
the 3ds can do 3d
i think the 3ds has an acceleromiter (spelln't) cuz its used in the super mario 3d land telescope thing
and it has wifi, and its portable, all it needs to do it steam 2 images from my pc and send accelermiter data to my pc, and boom.
i think this would be a great idea, and i dont see why it cant be done (not saying for anyone to do it)

Reactions: Tarmfot

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
3DS 3D effect is a barely working mimic that you would deactivate eventually.

Headsets are the real deal. It has nothing to do with the parallax barrier effect.

If you are considering an standalone device, just buy the Oculus Quest 2. It has a good standalone/Android library and you can still use it with PC. It is far less expensive than Steam VR and it does not require cameras or a complex setup, just the headset.

awoomaster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
im still waiting for the refund, and i use the 3d a lot on my 3ds. i just wanna know if its possible on the 3ds, i dont really want an oculus, i wanna do something diffrent by doing vr on a 3ds. im happy to try and make this possible, im just looking into it first

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The 3ds has very low res screens which would look absolutely awful magnified with a lens and the accelerator can only really detect how much you tilt or shake the 3ds it has no means of tracking the device in 3d space. The most you could do is use the 3ds dual cameras to track the room and then use the dual images steamvr spits out to generate a single 3d image to be sent to the 3ds' 3d screen.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3ds has 3d wtihout the need of any other device, or glasses, as for vr support I doubt it will ever happen, the 3ds is in last leg of it life cycle.

awoomaster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The 3ds has very low res screens which would look absolutely awful magnified with a lens and the accelerator can only really detect how much you tilt or shake the 3ds it has no means of tracking the device in 3d space. The most you could do is use the 3ds dual cameras to track the room and then use the dual images steamvr spits out to generate a single 3d image to be sent to the 3ds' 3d screen.

im not gonna be using a lens on the screen, i know about the low reso, honestly doesnt bother me too much, i just plan to use the 3d function on the 3ds. and i think i meant to say gyroscope instead of accelerator (my fault for getting that mixed) since i do have the 'new' model, i can use the c stick for looking around like in minecraft for 'new' 3ds edition. and yea thats what i was aiming for the 3d on steam vr.
btw if it sounds like im arguing, im not, sorry bout that

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

as for vr support I doubt it will ever happen, the 3ds is in last leg of it life cycle.
true true, im willing to try and make it happen tho lol

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Has anyone been able to stream Steam VR to anything at this point? Can you open an arbitrary Steam VR game and output the video to two separate flatscreens?

There are programs like Pinbox that will stream video from a PC to a 3DS, but I understand none of them work very well.

awoomaster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Has anyone been able to stream Steam VR to anything at this point? Can you open an arbitrary Steam VR game and output the video to two separate flatscreens?

There are programs like Pinbox that will stream video from a PC to a 3DS, but I understand none of them work very well.
hm, i have been able to stream steam vr to a mobile phone, it cuts the screen in half for 2 images, so yes, but not for the 3ds yet. and those streaming programs may come in handy

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
im not gonna be using a lens on the screen, i know about the low reso, honestly doesnt bother me too much, i just plan to use the 3d function on the 3ds. and i think i meant to say gyroscope instead of accelerator (my fault for getting that mixed) since i do have the 'new' model, i can use the c stick for looking around like in minecraft for 'new' 3ds edition. and yea thats what i was aiming for the 3d on steam vr.
btw if it sounds like im arguing, im not, sorry bout that

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

true true, im willing to try and make it happen tho lol
Even with the gyroscope you can only track tilt, just much better than an accelerator can. So for head looking motion you could use the gyro or c-stick. However in vr the camera moves in a 3d space along all axis's unlike regular games where you pivot on a set point. To accomplish this you'd need to use the 3ds's dual camera's to make sense of the surrounding environment (similar to how ar cards work). Other than that it should be very possible to set steam vr's per eye resolution to 400x240 and then develop a program that uses the two vr video feeds to create a stereoscopic image for the 3ds to display and then stream said image over wifi. You'd also have to write a program for the 3ds to receive these images and to send button inputs to the PC which would then need to emulate an xbox 360 controller or something. I've got a friend whose fairly good at c++ so I could maybe try and convince him to start trying to develop this app.

awoomaster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Even with the gyroscope you can only track tilt, just much better than an accelerator can. So for head looking motion you could use the gyro or c-stick. However in vr the camera moves in a 3d space along all axis's unlike regular games where you pivot on a set point. To accomplish this you'd need to use the 3ds's dual camera's to make sense of the surrounding environment (similar to how ar cards work). Other than that it should be very possible to set steam vr's per eye resolution to 400x240 and then develop a program that uses the two vr video feeds to create a stereoscopic image for the 3ds to display and then stream said image over wifi. You'd also have to write a program for the 3ds to receive these images and to send button inputs to the PC which would then need to emulate an xbox 360 controller or something. I've got a friend whose fairly good at c++ so I could maybe try and convince him to start trying to develop this app.

dunno if this will be useful infor, but there is an app for controling a pc with the 3ds for games, its called 3ds controller and i have a modded version that allows me to use the c stick and z shoulder buttons, that could be very useful or not useful at all, but i have managed to use both the c stick and circle pad thing to move my head and body around the vr chat lobby, theres a slight issue when i move either the c stick or circle pad all the way to the left, it just outputs the oppisite, im sure thats just a calabration issue on my side. but if we could combine that with
Other than that it should be very possible to set steam vr's per eye resolution to 400x240 and then develop a program that uses the two vr video feeds to create a stereoscopic image for the 3ds to display and then stream said image over wifi.
(dunno if the quote thing will work) with the 3ds controller app, then that would be amazing!

i have very little experience on c++ and thank you very much for considering asking and convincing him into maybe doing that, that would highly be apreciated!

awoomaster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's impossible, VR requires 6 degrees of freedom tracking, the 3DS gyroscope does 3 degrees top.
all i want it to do is basicaly be a controller for vr chat and vr games on steam and be able to see a 3d image thru the 3d display on my 3ds

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
all i want it to do is basicaly be a controller for vr chat and vr games on steam and be able to see a 3d image thru the 3d display on my 3ds

the controller part can be done with that homebrew that lets you use the 3DS as a joystick on PC via WIFI. I forgot the name.
As for the 3D screen thing, can the app you wanna run, run in SBS mode? I think what you should ask for here is "an app that streams SBS video into the 3DS". And with that, you could work your way around and play games in 3D, be it steamVR or any other game with reshade or whatever.
As for the tracking, forget it, as someone said you need 6DOF and the 3DS has an accelerometer, meaning 3DOF. Having two frontal cameras it's not nearly enough to make up for the missing DOF, and even if someone tried tracking the image and calculating the position and such, it would be a heavy task to run along the streaming which you would want to be as smooth as possible.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

There's Vridge, ALVR, Oculus Air Link and others.
It would be an awful experience. You can use JoyCons, Wiimotes and PS Move controllers as VR controllers with Driver4VR. Have a look into that instead.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah forgot to turn that off