Steam Unveils Discovery Update

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Gahars, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

No, Steam hasn't ported over Shark Week, Mythbusters, and Mike Rowe to its service (not yet, anyway). This is the next best thing. Unless you're a Daft Punk fan, in which case this is the third best thing. Anyway...

:arrow:Steam

Basically, Steam is now letting customers curate their content. Steam will suggest games and reviews to customers based on their preferences. Users can block certain content from reaching their front page, like F2P, Early Access titles, preorders, etc. They may also follow certain curators, people/groups that will recommend and promote titles to their followers. Anyone can become a curator and you can follow any curator that strikes your fancy.

Considering the avalanche of awful games that has swept over Steam as of late, and the many calls made for reform (like this video, for example), this will be a welcome change for most.

You know, I can see why Steam called the update "Discovery;" dis-covers everything!

2. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Dat face.

4U, Mitt Romney.

3. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Surprisingly easy to make in Photoshop, unless that is his real face...

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Translation
    "We screwed up badly and allowed dross to take over our store, however fixing that it is hard so we are going to let you do it yourself".

Mind you I did once glimpse a "when to publish" checklist/flow chart people used when doing such things... I do like seeing analysis of bad systems but in many ways it is kind of sad when it becomes necessary.

Oh and I almost forgot my obligatory "Steam? Meh" part of steam related replies.

sonicrings likes this.
  5. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    [fingers crossed]please dont fuck this up...please dont fuck this up...please dont fuck this up...[fingers crossed]

instead of doing a wack update you know what valve should do? clean the store of this unfinished, unplayable, ungood games. which might be the reason we have a second gaming gaming crash.

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Would Valve falling over really matter in the mid term? There are already several other services that are in place already and could handle some of the load/rise up. Equally "unfinished" would be fairly hard to quantify, especially as more and more games are taking up the rolling release model.
    Also how is a crash likely to happen because Valve, and the others, have bad store fronts? To say nothing of gaming being far more entrenched than it was the first time. Granted I am up for a crash but I do sometimes like to watch things burn.

7. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    where did i link bad store front and gaming crash. i said they should waste they time on fxing the bad games, which could cause a knock effect where they go boom. read between the lines mate.

yeah i really dont want my 200+ games become playable cause the service is not "online" anymore.

FAST your not so fast this days.. getting old?

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    There has always been trash, always will be and more likely we will see even more as programming/general game dev becomes easier (see also home publishing, home audio and home video in recent years... or actually just see youtube really). With that it would seem that the store front/general catalogue becomes the more important concept.

The end of Steam would be an odd one, there have been online services that have ceased and taken their user's abilities to use their items with them, but it would probably make an interesting case. Moreover it is not like Steam's DRM has not been completely and utterly bypassed.

Flame likes this.
  9. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    This new Discovery service is crap. I can't find Half Life 3 anywhere.

Sicklyboy likes this.
  10. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Neat. Too bad the only thing I really check is the weekly deals, if I wanted to know about something I'd just...search for it. So meh.

11. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    Too much blue for me

12. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    Did the rest of the client get an update so it sucks less and actually works well? Or is it just the store functionality. Any UI changes?

13. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    Play
    Steambox

The homescreen screams PS4 to me with all that blue.

14. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    "Over 1,300 titles have been added in the past nine months." Yeah.. and how many were point&click or kids games?

15. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

As far as I can tell, the changes are just organizational or aesthetic. Everything's bluer than Dr. Manhattan's ballsack now, if you're into that sort of thing.

Sicklyboy likes this.
  16. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Great! I can finally block all these early access games that I get bored of before it even reaches the point it's fully developed and get a wrong opinion about the game.

17. Kwartel

Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Apr 11, 2009
    Netherlands
    Will we get a GBAtemp curator?

18. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    So it's a "People who bought this game also bought..." function?

19. Kwartel

Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Apr 11, 2009
    Netherlands
    Basically. But also based on hours you and others put into the games. That makes it a bit better.

20. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    No, it's more like "You bought this and played it for XYZ amount of hours, you might like this...". It's based off of your preferences, not others, and then you can change the general "category" of what shows up in the suggestions. So if you don't give a floppy fuck about early access games or F2P games or whatever, you can set it so Steam doesn't display them on the front page with the rest of your suggestions.