Steam to launch 'Remote Play Together', allowing players to play local multiplayer games online

steam thingy.png
Dubbed 'Remote Play Together', this new Steam feature will allow players to enjoy local multiplayer games online "just like handing a second controller to a friend". Moreover, only the host needs to own the game and can thereby send invites to Friends via the Steam Overlay.

invite.png

Remote Play Together will be compatible with any game supporting local multiplayer, local co-op or shared / split-screen features. This new addition will support up to 4 players and renders 60 frames per second at a resolution of 1080p (requires a connection between 10 to 30 Mbps for a successful low-latency session). A beta is planned to launch the week of October 21.

Valve made the announcement via the Steamworks website to developers, some of whom shared the news publicly. The message also reads that "this feature is designed to add value to multiplayer games which do not already have native online capabilities. It will soon be enjoyed among friends online using the Remote Play Together Beta, enabling fans to introduce your local multiplayer game to new audiences."

What game comes to your mind that will benefit from this feature?

:arrow: SOURCE

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Cool! We can see that they are taking a different approach to beating the competition. I'm happy that this is the outcome we're getting after all of this though! I bet Parsec aren't too happy about this :P

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remote Play is steam's new branding for (formerly in-house) Steam streaming. Everyone other than the host is going to streaming the game (i.e. a video stream), so its going to be just like Stadia except often shittier because its coming from someone's home computer. It's still nice to have the option, but don't expect much.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
PLEASE work with non steam games!!!... probably not, but this is still really nice.
I don't see why not. There's nothing fundamentally different about doing it with non-Steam games and Remote Play has worked with non-Steam games forever.
Hopefully this is less laggy than Parsec has been
I think that's more down to distance/ping and the quality of the internet connection on both sides, not something Steam can do anything about. Don't expect to be able to play with low latency with someone located on the other side of the globe but someone located in your country should work great and even on the same continent should work decently.

Reactions: JavaScribe

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
*bookmarks this page for the next time someone asks why people prefer Steam over any other digital storefront*
Oh, but there's already apps out there that allow you to do this. You just have to download yet another program and let it run as a separate process. Steam isn't innovative! /s

On a lighter note, I wonder how this will perform compared to Parsec..

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: Armadillo

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh, but there's already apps out there that allow you to do this. You just have to download yet another program and let it run as a separate process. Steam isn't innovative! /s

On a lighter note, I wonder how this will perform compared to Parsec..
I feel like It's going to be on par with parsec, maybe a little bit less when it comes out, but after that when they update it more, it'd be more reliable for Fast paced games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Reactions: Kioku

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it