Steam to launch 'Remote Play Together', allowing players to play local multiplayer games online

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Oct 10, 2019.

1. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Vietnam
    Cool, we can always have more couch co-op game for Switch.

PanTheFaun likes this.
  2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Will it? Splitscreen or multiplayer on one PC was a running joke at one point -- pretty much just emulators and a handful of oddities like left4dead which did it, and worse was PC ports of local multiplayer sporting console games often lacked such functionality. I have not paid the closest attention to the PC indy market in a while, nor the higher end budget one, but I have not been bombarded with local co-op/multiplayer news either.

3. jt_1258

jt_1258 Something

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere
    considering you can add non steam shortcuts to your library and stream them you likely can do it

4. TehCupcakes

TehCupcakes GBAtemp Fan

Apr 5, 2013
    United States
    Local multiplayer is usually ignored when online is an option. But whenever a game releases without online multiplayer, the developers get bombarded with people demanding online. One example: Stardew Valley added online after great demand, despite the significant development effort. Other games are not so lucky. Think Spelunky, Binding of Isaac, Enter the Gungeon, Cuphead. You probably haven't noticed the local multiplayer of AAA games because they have the budget to throw in online functionality from the get-go to avoid this kind of criticism.

Local multiplayer has the benefit of only needing one copy, which is big for some people. There are a lot of games I would be willing to buy to play them with somebody, but my friends are not necessarily going to have the cash or the willingness to buy it for themselves before trying it. (And, of course, those friends are not necessarily geographically close enough for us to play together locally on a regular basis.)

Last edited by TehCupcakes, Oct 10, 2019
  5. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    maybe im out of the loop but i dont recall many games being local multiplayer games on PC, i mean on consoles is one thing on pc its kinda rare to see local multiplayer, and those who do almost all the time already have online multiplayer aswhell correct me if im wrong, but the ammount of steam multiplayer games that only has local multiplayer without having online aswhell must be really tiny imo.

6. frankGT

frankGT GBAtemp Regular

Nov 21, 2009
    Portugal
    If every player had to have the game and all games were running locally and being synced in the server side so all experience the same "normal" online lag just for the other players, that would be of value.
    Could have an option to lend a digital copy locked to that purpose, where you could only play it if the original owner was on the game.

But it seem the game might to be processed locally on the owners computer, and other players have to experience the mess that is send inputs before video is even is processed, let alone sent using questionable networks...
    If it ends up being like this, might be good for turn based games or something that doesn't require constant real time input/interaction.

7. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    This sounds cool in theory. In practice you better live in a place with fast internet or Lag will haunt you.

8. DbGt

DbGt GBAtemp Fan

Jul 28, 2004
    Mexico
    i wish it would be the other way around; play online multiplayer games like local multiplayer. So many games I want to play with my wife but they are only online co- op / multiplayer

There are not many local multiplayer games on pc....

9. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Maniac

May 11, 2017
    United States
    I dig it

10. deSSy2724

deSSy2724 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 11, 2015
    Germany
    If we just could use its feautures as passtrough for all the LAN compatible games (im speaking non Steam games, PC emulators, maybe even games from other platforms like Switch).

Man...... we just need some alternative for the Tunngle LAN (it was shutdown) or something similar (universal solution) which would support all the LAN compatible games for different platforms.

Last edited by deSSy2724, Oct 10, 2019
  11. Necron

Necron Lurking~

Dec 29, 2008
    Chile
    Mi casa
    I'll finally be able to play Obscure 1-2 properly

Zense likes this.
  12. GothicIII

GothicIII GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    The lack of new *good* local multiplayer games makes me wonder if this will be even a success.
    Using Towerfall as an example is pretty dumb. With input lag (which is not possible to overcome see playstation now or other streaming services) it will be a very hard time for the player who wants to join.
    (Personally I played Towerfall on PS4 Pro with a friend and it was such a bad experience. Input delays and eaten input was often the case and we both have fiber to home. Ping times have been 8ms)

For other games I'd guess -as long as it is free- this is a nice feature but way too late.
    Nearly all games today are one player on one device.

Last edited by GothicIII, Oct 10, 2019
  13. HylianBran

HylianBran Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2019
    United States
    I've been using Parsec to achieve the same result for a while now (because I don't have friends, at least in person anyway), and I'm glad that we're getting an official alternative, because we can get things that Parsec simply can't.

14. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Just a matter of time before Sony sues Steam for using the term "remote play".

15. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I hope they can add an option to resell games and such.

16. bahamut920

bahamut920 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 23, 2009
    United States
    I think the kinds of low-budget indie games that can't afford to throw in netcode by default aren't going to be too demanding on your Internet connection. I guess don't play Warriors games online? They're pretty much the only AAA games I know that have local-only multiplayer.

17. Araeden

Araeden Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2015
    Canada
    Do I sense a new possible source for more Temp game nights?

18. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Time to play some Lego games.

19. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Over 4,000 local multiplayer games on Steam alone, though I'm sure a significant number of those also have online multiplayer built-in.

20. J-Machine

J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Aug 25, 2011
    Canada
    A concrete Igloo
    We already have parsec for this kind of application and need. I play emulators and steam games often via parsec.