1. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

United States
    I used to have all sorts of issues going offline with steam, but uninstalling Hamachi (properly) fixed it. Hamachi installs itself as a (virtual) network adapter with some faked info, so it seems Steam kept seeing it and thinking I still had an internet connection so it was trying to Sync some data before going offline, but it couldn't. After getting rid of Hamachi, Steam's offline mode works fine for me now.

Anyways I do hope we'll be seeing price cuts on production software, but I sort of doubt it as it's not entirely up to Steam, and companies like Adobe still sell digital copies of things for hundreds of dollars.

2. cracker

cracker Nyah!

United States
    Note: Steam is not on good terms with me because of a few different problems with them...

I can foresee big problems happening with this. The offline problem is one of them. Validation problems with keys for enterprise use would be another since it takes forever to get a reply back from support. Their software prices are exhorbitant as hard copies of the games drop prices not long after launch but on the Steam Store they stay at the launch price for a really long time and then the price drops are way less than what the store copies dropped at a much earlier time. The only reason to buy directly from Steam is when there is a "good" sale on (sometimes good sale means just dropping to around the price the hard copy is at) or for games not available anywhere else. No transference (selling, giving away, etc.) of software you no longer use that someone else is wants.

All of that crap is comprised of things already wrong with Steam tha will just continue on so here are new problems/reasons to avoid buying productivity apps, etc. Potentially more bloat and lag from apps where there shouldn't be just like all things Steam. Having to have Steam running along with your apps could cause crashes like what happens too often for games and unsaved work would be lost not to mention times when Steam shuts games down for no apparent reason. The app just plain not working at all -- forcing you to uninstall the app and Steam and having perhaps multiple attempts of reinstalls to get it to run. Forgetting your password when it isn't set to save it and having to go through the the somewhat tedious process of resetting it. There are probably many more problems this will create that I can't think of currently.

This just boils down to adding a bunch of hoops that the end user will have to jump through in order to run their software and will push people to pirate apps that are cracked to be non-Steam (not naming names but others have had to do this for many titles legally owned). There will be a backlash from user of apps that were previously standalone but then become Steam-only for these (and more) reasons.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ace Overclocked

Ace Overclocked My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Italy
  4. Guild McCommunist

OP Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Well t-shirts are soft and you can wear them. So, um, "softwear". It's like "footwear".

5. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

To be analogous to "footwear", I think t-shirts would have to be "bodywear" or "torsowear" or something like that...

6. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

Had to do this recently, thier customer service is appaling, it took them nearly two weeks to contact me when a serial number didn't work and you know what thier solution was to my problem? Buy the game again! You bet dam right i pirated it, i really hate steam and don't want anything to do with it, the fact that you don't own the games and they can close your account whenever they want and take away your games that you rightly paid for is stealing, i would be angry if they had taken my game collection away that i paid money for.

7. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

It's not stealing, it's in the terms you agree to when you sign up to Steam. If you don't like it, that's fine, don't use Steam. But if you do use Steam, you have no right to complain about the way it works.

8. Wabsta

Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    I'm already looking forward to the summer sales!

9. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

United States
    Could you go into more detail? I haven't had an issue validating a steam key (ever), and with most modern software checking keys involves internet access anyways already for their own servers, so this is not just something steam does (by far).

[​IMG]

They discount their stuff over time in sync with retailers from what I've seen.

Okay, what kind of shit are you smoking? Seriously.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations: $10 on sale, $30 retail.
    Bastion: ~$1 through the humble bundle, $15 "retail" (360 online store).
    Batman: Arkham City: ~$5 on sale, $30 normally on steam, $45 retail.
    Bioshock: $5 on sale, $20 normally and retail.
    Bioshock 2: $5 on sale, $15 normally and retail.
    Borderlands: $10 on sale (for the edition with all the DLC), $20 normally and retail.
    Dead Space: $5 on sale, $20 normally and retail.
    Fable: The Lost Chapters: ~$7 sale, $10 normally, $20 retail.

(Sale means steam sale, normally means steam price right now, retail is prices gotten off of gamestop for new copies.)

Didn't even bother going past F, I think this is a good enough point. The sales often go way below retail prices for hard copies.

This is the normal aim for digital distribution, but there's rumors Steam will be implementing such a system anyways worldwide since courts in one major area said they need to do it at least there.
    http://www.vg247.com/2012/07/03/eu-court-rules-gamers-are-free-to-resell-digital-games/

Hopefully it comes true.

The steam overlay can be disabled globally in the settings last I checked (and I don't see why they'd put the overlay in non-game software as production software tends to not run a solid rendering window), if that's what you mean.

Haven't encountered that myself.

Haven't encountered that myself. The only time I see multiple install attempts needed are when steam's trying to install required libraries (e.g. .NET) and the install fucks up, but in those cases installing something with the same requirements outside of steam would hit the same issues, since it's a problem with the system itself.

Assuming people are buying this software for actual production use it's pretty much assumed they're doing it on their own machine, where having the credentials saved isn't a problem.

Also, the whole "well if you forget your password you're fucked" applies to all sorts of production situations. Forget your company e-mail password? Forget your domain login password? That's your own problem and you need to take steps to fix it before you can continue work in many cases. This is grasping at straws here, you're just looking for reasons to dislike this while not realizing that you're pulling up common problems to currently-existing actions and products people use all the time that are not related to steam.

You might as well be claiming wearing a sweater could cause you heat stroke in the winter, because most steam users will tell you the opposite.

I stopped most of my PC piracy when I got into Steam, because it's a fuckton easier than piracy. I don't have to search for torrents and hope the one has seeds, find the right crack and hope it works on my OS and crap like that. I buy the game in steam, it downloads and installs it, and I run it. And I can get big-name titles for $5 or less (counting some bundles) on sale? I've gone back and bought shit I pirated years ago.

2 people like this.
  10. koji2009

koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I like how some people read "non-gaming software" as "enterprise level production software"... You do know there is an amazing array of things inbetween those two things right?

Hard example from steam themselves is the Source Film Maker. That is non-gaming (you aren't playing a game with it), and is in no way enterprise software. It's not hard to believe that Steam could and would sell other middle ground products like say Manga Studio. It's definitely not an enterprise type software that a lot of people use in their free time for their own private art projects.

There is also a lot of assumptions that this automatically means all of these non-gaming software items will be PAY software which may also be not true. Think of the very large array of free production software available on a platform like, say, Linux. You know Linux right? That platform Valve recently said it'd be supporting pretty heavily... Couple the new Linux Steam client with a cloud based version of LibreOffice for free and suddenly you have a mostly Microsoft Office compatible office suite WITH free cloud support (or maybe charge a small amount for cloud support for it, but offer the office suite for free).

1 person likes this.
  11. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

United States
    Production software doesn't have to be enterprise-level. Many people swear by Corel or Sai for digital painting, there's 3D modelers and image-editing programs, "office" productivity software (graph/stats, documents, etc.) and more.

EDIT: My point being that these sorts of programs fall under the categories mentioned as well. Most are sold online as digital downloads with little to no discount, they need internet access to verify keys, etc.

12. LockeCole_101629

LockeCole_101629 GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    well probably not the most exciting news, considering there are so much alternative for each purpose of software, some are Freeware.

but actually if you in some kind office environment, you can lock up everything except steam client, just to run the software out of desktop, because everything have to be executed with it and keep it on single library just like games, you dont have yo worry about updates, maintenance, or keeping the disc specially if you were in charge to maintenance every computer in your office.
    so there's no more wasted time to facebook/youtube/or any social networking crap or malware/virus they about to get from ads they received (hey I just thought this idea myself) but yeah you can still access community on the app links =/

13. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

United States
    A lot of what steam does is through a glorified web browser, so blocking non-productive sites like facebook and such (and the steam community subdomain) should render them inaccessible even in the steam browser.

EDIT: Grammar.

14. cracker

cracker Nyah!

United States
    Excuse the lack of breaking the quote up into the seperate bits as it is tedious to do this with a phone browser.

I have had 3 key problems with known legitimate codes within a close period recently and I'm not alone. See: google

The reference to exhorbitant costs wasn't specifically targeting new and popular games. The costs you listed for those games you listed can be had for cheaper if you shop around online and/or at a b&m store (not to mention hopefully when Steam is forced to let people transfer games to others the used copies will probably have a good discount on them). I have to call you out on Bastion since it wasn't a Steam discount but rather donationware and the titles in the HB aren't necessarily equal in value especially since this title was a bonus only when the certain amount was donated in the bundle -- I forget which one. The later bundle did have it as a title without this requirement so that may be the one you are referring to.

The problems with the bloat and lag are perhaps misguided. There has been a lot of software made prior to Steam that have taken less advantage of optimization because newer recent hardware can run and store it. It seems, though, that it has been more acceptable to follow this practice after the creation of Steam. I gather this because there are tons of indie games that have extraordinary graphics, high compatibility with "obsolete" hardware, low spaace requirements, etc. in contrast. In short, it seems that it has made it acceptable for the programmers to not need to try to get the biggest bang for the buck (perhaps by company orders to rush the game or just because of laziness).

The problems with freezing/crashing can be lumped in with the above but other times it is Steam's fault and reinstalls from the client is required to fix them. When I have had this problem it wasn't due to .NET or other framework misbehaving at all.

Many start-up or small businesses might need to use the software that will be offered on Steam if it meets their pricepoint for say a PS alternative or MSO alternative (and for some reason they don't want OS/free alternatives). I wasn't suggesting the programs would be premium suites that huge companies would be able to afford. Nonetheless, the support from Steam (if it was found to be sound on the developer's side) would be a serious issue because of how slow and unhelpful they have proven to be for me as well as many others. Once again see: google

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - software, selling, gaming