• Start date
  • Views 1,616
  • Replies 9
D

Deleted User

OP
500x_defcon.jpg
Kotaku said:
If ever proof was needed of how important Valve's Steam platform has become to many PC developers, look no further than the tale of Introversion, the developers of Defcon and Darwinia, whose company was saved by a Steam sale.

Despite a string of cult successes like Uplink, Darwinia and Defcon (pictured), the British developers had run into some tough times recently, and had gone from being a "proper" studio, with an office and staff, to having to fire most of their workers, sell their furniture, move out of their office and code from their bedrooms.

In desperation, one day they decided to add some Steam achivements to Defcon. Doing so meant Valve gave the team some promotion on Steam, and that promotion turned into sales.

Valve okayed the promotion and even though it didn't focus on DEFCON we were happy that we had achieved our core objective. This was the game-changer. When we started Introversion we'd had a string of successes and believed we were undefeatable, but it was a long time since we'd had a victory and we really needed one. Right on cue, Valve delivered. The promo exceeded all of our expectations and when combined with our low burn rate (no office or staff now) we had gone from being fearful about paying our mortgages to having a year's operating capital in the bank.

Great news for Introversion, as they thoroughly deserve it. It'll also hopefully give them the coin to continue development on Subversion. But for everyone else...Valve may be in most people's good books, but it's still a little frightening to think that a single company can play Kingmaker with the fortunes of developers across an entire platform, so dependant have so many PC publishers become on Steam for legitimate sales.
Source

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Valve okayed the promotion and even though it didn't focus on DEFCON we were happy that we had achieved our core objective. This was the game-changer. When we started Introversion we'd had a string of successes and believed we were undefeatable, but it was a long time since we'd had a victory and we really needed one. Right on cue, Valve delivered. The promo exceeded all of our expectations and when combined with our low burn rate (no office or staff now) we had gone from being fearful about paying our mortgages to having a year's operating capital in the bank.
So all they needed to do was advertise their game.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
purplesludge said:
QUOTE said:
So all they needed to do was advertise their game.
Through an epic sale. When a nice Steam sale hits, you'll be hard-pressed to find a better price on the advertised games anywhere, even used. That is usually all the advertising an informed buyer needs. Word of mouth (or interweb) carries it from there.

Personally I think this is awesome. I only buy games when they are ridiculously on sale anyway, and this proves I may have saved some guy's house because of it.

Feels Good Man

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Steam = greatest thing ever.

Seriously. I'd rather buy games now than pirate.

And good for Introversion. Their games are great and would be a shame if their studio closes down for good.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Great!
I would have cried if this developer went bankrupt. I love DEFCON!

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
This is why you people need to buy games every once in a while and not just steal them all.

I bought the Introversion pack when it was on sale recently. I love Defocn and Darwinia so much, Im glad they were saved by the sale, they really deserve a little success for these great little games. All the games in the pack can run on pretty much any computer and you can lose hours playing them, I hope this little boost means we get to see more titles from them.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Valve
wub.gif

They also help indie devs by letting them host their game on Steam and using their DRM.
Either
Code:
[quote][/quote]
Code:
[P= ][/P]
Or don't post news.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr