Steam removes old submission process, all new pubs/devs must go through Steam Greenlight.

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 1,779
  • Replies 17

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's kind of silly, but the FAQ does specify new to Steam, might be able to just point to their previous stuff.
Or maybe their submissions are weighted in their favour for having games on Steam already.
Suppose we'll see.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't really see this is a huge issue, if a game is big enough it'll easily get greenlit and since all Greenlight entry fees go to Child's Play (last time I checked?) it's just more money for charity.

The issue I see though is that it can really clog up Greenlight and some smaller games that deserve a spot may end up getting overshadowed by larger ones that would get on Steam without Greenlight.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Competition from bigger games isn't as bad as you'd think in Greenlight...if more people would use Greenlight.

If you know of a neat indie game and they've put it up on Greenlight then you'd vote it up.
If you vote it up it shows up on your list of games you've Greenlit that all your friends can see.
If your friends who also use Greenlight proactively check out the game and are interested they'll vote it up as well.
And the cycle repeats.

It really is a system powered by the community. As long as people take an active interest then even the smaller groups should do pretty well.
I kind of doubt the major publishers have to go through Greenlight anyway, that'd be beyond silly.
The FAQ does specify new to Steam too so this might just be a goof on someone's end.

[EDIT]

Also, sweet lord, Shantae: Risky's Revenge is on Greenlight?!

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm...

Just imagine though, if VALVe's games needed to go through Greenlight too.

Half Life 3 was rejected due to not receiving enough community votes.

Reactions: Punyman
D

Deleted_171835

OP
Don't really see this is a huge issue, if a game is big enough it'll easily get greenlit and since all Greenlight entry fees go to Child's Play (last time I checked?) it's just more money for charity.

The issue I see though is that it can really clog up Greenlight and some smaller games that deserve a spot may end up getting overshadowed by larger ones that would get on Steam without Greenlight.
A proper submission like before meant that any game had a chance of getting in. With this, it all depends on the popularity of the game. Think about niche genres on Steam like JRPGs or SRPGs that likely wouldn't make it through Greenlight but would have made it through a regular submission process.

This is just Valve being lazy.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Okay now I really like this idea.
H8clR.gif

Reactions: KingVamp

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country

This. If Greenlight was supposed to showcase projects that needs a push and funding, this will definitely shove them aside.

shadowmanwkp

Your roms are on another rom site
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Then again, if you're a big developer, or if you have games that sold really well, you wouldn't submit your games to greenlight, but simply contact valve directly. I don't really know what the fuss is about.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: