Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
valve-offices.jpg
We'd recommend taking this all with a healthy grain of salt for now, but according to a fortunate Steam Powered forum member who scored a trip by Valve's headquarters, the company's considering an iOS / Android port of Steam. Yeah, Steam -- you know, that wildly popular game distribution service that's doing its darnedest to kill off boxed video game sales. As the story goes, Political Gamer was able to sit down with Valve's own Gabe Newell for a tick, and while the topics of conversation were obviously varied, one point in particular piqued our interest. Purportedly, Gabe confirmed that the company is "looking into the iOS / Android platform for possible expansions with Steam," which makes absolute sense given just how well-received the iPod touch and iPhone have been by gamers. To boot, Sony Ericsson's Xperia Play is just around the bend, and if Amazon's able to launch its own app store, why not push out a game-centric one from a name that people already know and trust? Of course, pondering the possibility is far different than investing resources into a new product, so until we hear that the latter is definitely happening, we'll be doing our best to suppress our expectations. Call it self-preservation.[/p]
icon11.gif
Source (Engadget)

probably not anytime soon but this would be awesome for android especially

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I wonder what will they let you do with it... I'm pretty sure they won't start doing game conversions
tongue.gif

Maybe access your friend list and the like?

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
I wonder what will they let you do with it... I'm pretty sure they won't start doing game conversions
tongue.gif
well obviously the full computer games will be able to run just at a lower resolution

no but seriously i think it would just be a game app store with friends list etc. the standard features for online platforms these days

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
raulpica said:
tongue.gif
well obviously the full computer games will be able to run just at a lower resolution

no but seriously i think it would just be a game app store with friends list etc. the standard features for online platforms these days
it would directly compete with apple's own mobile applications. i seriously doubt apple would allow anything more than messaging and community services.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Advi said:
Terminator02 said:
raulpica said:
tongue.gif

it would directly compete with apple's own mobile applications. i seriously doubt apple would allow anything more than messaging and community services.
there's a little thing called android, plus if apple was smart they'd make a deal with steam and completely scratch game center (it sucks)

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
Advi said:
Terminator02 said:
raulpica said:
tongue.gif

there's a little thing called android, plus if apple was smart they'd make a deal with steam and completely scratch game center (it sucks)
apple is already making a fuckload of money off of ios games.
and at that, if steam developers want to publish games for apple's mobile products, they'll just submit them directly to the market, same with android.

D

Deleted_171835

It could work provided it's only for the ability to access your friends list and do other social-related things.
unsure.gif

hatredg0d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Advi said:
Terminator02 said:
raulpica said:
tongue.gif

dont you have to allow competition, otherwise you hold a monopoly?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hatredg0d said:
Advi said:
Terminator02 said:
raulpica said:
tongue.gif

Apple doesn't like to have it called like that! They prefer using "not allowing things which don't come from them"
wink.gif

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Advi said:
Terminator02 said:
Advi said:
Terminator02 said:
raulpica said:
tongue.gif

and at that, if steam developers want to publish games for apple's mobile products, they'll just submit them directly to the market, same with android.
the point isn't games, the main point of this would be the steam service which would be universal across the games

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
Advi said:
Terminator02 said:
Advi said:
Terminator02 said:
raulpica said:
tongue.gif

the point isn't games, the main point of this would be the steam service which would be universal across the games
....what?

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh god. As gaming becomes more focused on multimedia players and phones, consoles really ARE gonna die out.

I guess this will be the Angry Birds generation after all...

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hatredg0d said:
If you want choice, don't use Apple.

Monopolies are more for the general market, not the 'market' of a specific device.
Like being the ONLY Internet Service Provider in an area, I mean the only cable company in an area.... the only phone company in an area would make you a monopoly.
All the rest just get a blind eye turned towards.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If minecraft finished then went on steam...+ an iOS version of minecraft later this year, + maybe an android port..what would that be?
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night