Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
steam.jpg

There are more than 30 million people that have Steam accounts, Valve has announced.

That figure headlines a list of impressive statistics. In the last 12 months, the number of users has grown 178 per cent. The new peak concurrent user record is over three million, and six million unique users use Steam every day.

Steam sales during the 12 months were up 200 per cent, and the service's infrastructure can now run at 400GB per second - enough, apparently, to transfer the English dictionary 92 times a second. As if anyone wants to read that.

"Steam is on track to record the biggest year in its six year history," commented Valve's number one, Gabe Newell. Big new additions were support of Mac games, the Steam Wallet and in-game item sales.

Valve also touted the Steamworks set of developer tools, which are present in lots of today's biggest PC releases: Civilization V and R.U.S.E. among them.
[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

My mad Steam sale senses are tingling! I would severely hope for it. But yeah, I do love Steam, congrats to Valve.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's pretty damn impressive. I love the Steam service myself, and will continue to support it since they always seem to have the customers in mind. Congratz, Valve.

And yeah, this screams excuse for a sale.

DaRk_ViVi

Sending you back... to the future!
Trophies
Website
www.darkvivi.it
XP
Country
Italy
injected11 said:
That's pretty damn impressive. I love the Steam service myself, and will continue to support it since they always seem to have the customers in mind. Congratz, Valve.

And yeah, this screams excuse for a sale.

Can't add anything to this.
smile.gif

I'm just waiting for the big sale! *_*

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I won't pay for PC games.

For the most part, Steam is a ripoff. (Sometimes the sales are good though, and I'm almost tempted, but then I remember that I won't pay for PC games.)

Salax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
supersonic5000 said:
I never even heard of Steam until the Portal giveaway, but now I've bought several games so Valve's plan worked
laugh.gif
Can't wait for the inevitable sale.
Same here.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SPH73 said:

For the most part, Steam is a ripoff. (Sometimes the sales are good though, and I'm almost tempted, but then I remember that I won't pay for PC games.)

It's funny how often you hear shit like that from the richest people in the world with the cheapest prices, and the biggest whingers about piracy. And it's a load of turd at that. At worst steams prices are reasonable, at best amazing.

Maplemage

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
XP
Country
cwstjdenobs said:
SPH73 said:

It's funny how often you hear shit like that from the richest people in the world with the cheapest prices, and the biggest whingers about piracy. And it's a load of turd at that. At worst steams prices are reasonable, at best amazing.
Okay steam is a ripoff for you. You just buy normal games while I play some team fortress 2, or my 7 other steam games.

mrSmiles

Dundunduuuun
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thats a lot of steam users although you still have to take into account the people that use multiple steam accounts, so in reality the number should be lower than whats stated, but that doesn't change the fact that Steam is full of win, the only negative on my side is that Steam is a downer on bandwidth (for those that have a download cap) even then it wont stop me from purchasing from them.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, nice job Steam. And yeah, some people have multiple accounts, no reason to have multiple accounts, but some people do. I have one, but lots of sexy games. Congratulations Steam!

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mrSmiles said:
thats a lot of steam users although you still have to take into account the people that use multiple steam accounts, so in reality the number should be lower than whats stated, but that doesn't change the fact that Steam is full of win, the only negative on my side is that Steam is a downer on bandwidth (for those that have a download cap) even then it wont stop me from purchasing from them.
Yeah you would hope Valve at least only counted accounts with 1 game purchased, as heaps of people don't have any games bought and yet still have an account... Also it's only a downer on bandwidth if you aren't smart and backup your games, or know friends with the same games.

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
toguro_max.sites.uol.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Salax said:
supersonic5000 said:
I never even heard of Steam until the Portal giveaway, but now I've bought several games so Valve's plan worked
laugh.gif
Same here.

Same here².

I started at Steam with my copy of Counter Strike: Condition Zero that came bundled with my ATI 9600, but that time there were no obligation of having Steam. I really got pissed when you started to NEED TO HAVE steam installed in order to play games.
But after the Portal giveaway... Well, I've bought some games (some that I can't even play with my current hardware)...

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
toguro_max said:
Salax said:
supersonic5000 said:
laugh.gif
Same here.

Same here².

I started at Steam with my copy of Counter Strike: Condition Zero that came bundled with my ATI 9600, but that time there were no obligation of having Steam. I really got pissed when you started to NEED TO HAVE steam installed in order to play games.
But after the Portal giveaway... Well, I've bought some games (some that I can't even play with my current hardware)...
How is that a "same here" where you state quite clearly you have heard of steam previously BEFORE the event quoted that Salax is saying 'Same here" to.
blink.gif

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Computer sucks and can't run anything, but I am a member and I have paid for games. Self-Explanatory in this aspect I guess.

@Above post: You look too much into things. They all agree that the Portal giveaway got them to buy games.

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
toguro_max.sites.uol.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
antwill said:
toguro_max said:
Salax said:
supersonic5000 said:
laugh.gif
Same here.

Same here².

How is that a "same here" where you state quite clearly you have heard of steam previously BEFORE the event quoted that Salax is saying 'Same here" to.
blink.gif

The "same here" is the fact that I only started buying game through Steam after the Portal Mac version commemorative announcement (because it's more elegant saying it like this than "giveaway" >-p), just like Strel said.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
toguro_max said:
antwill said:
toguro_max said:
Salax said:
supersonic5000 said:
laugh.gif
Same here.

Same here².

blink.gif

The "same here" is the fact that I only started buying game through Steam after the Portal Mac version commemorative announcement (because it's more elegant saying it like this than "giveaway" >-p), just like Strel said.
Or that he too, cannot wait for the sale
tongue.gif

in which case
Same here3

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yay, I'm a statistic!

I had heard of Steam before, though it was the Portal giveaway that got me to register an account too. With this computer I can actually run games quite well, as it happens.

SPH73 said:

coolface.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay