Steam offers free weekend for three major fighting games

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 2, 2018.

Front-page
    eZAbMqL.

EVO 2018 starts soon, so Steam is running a sale on multiple fighting games, in order to celebrate the event. Discounts are available for titles like Tekken 7, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Injustice 2, and Street Fighter V. If you're interested in some of the offerings, but don't want to fully commit to paying, Steam is also holding a free weekend for some of the above games. You'll be able to try Street Fighter V, BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle, and Tekken 7 for no charge for three days, until the promotion is over.

EVO 2018: Championship Series starts on August 3rd and runs until August 5th, where fighting game pros will show off their skills in titles like Street Fighter and Super Smash Bros. The live event takes place at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. Qualifying rounds start at 8 am PT on August 3rd.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (18 replies)
  1. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Already have street fighter V Arcade edition and Tekken 7 on ps4, and Blazblue Cross tag battle on switch. :P

Though I think this is nice, not really fond of DRM in my games so I won't be those that do have Denuvo on steam.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Aug 3, 2018
    RedBlueGreen likes this.
  2. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    you know if you purchase Tekken 7 you can actually do Snk vs Capcom in Tekken :)

p.s. only a fighting game fanatic can understand it.

3. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Nice to know I'm not a fighting game fanatic despite buying tons of fighting games and playing them, just cause I don't understand your joke.

(NOTE: joke is how Akuma & Geese who are both from Street Fighter & Fatal Fury who are owned by Capcom & SNK are featured in the game)

Didn't even mention NOCTIS from Final Fantasy XV in here. Also just better to play Capcom VS SNK if you want crossovers. :ninja:

4. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Corp's VGM Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Justinde75 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    West City
    45 for cross tag battle is still a bit steep, considering you have to buy all the dlc

5. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    The game launched like two months ago, wasn't gonna have a huge discount this soon. But it's free to try this weekend. Probably better than nothing. :P

6. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Corp's VGM Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Justinde75 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    West City
    You mean a game that is literally just a blaz blue game with used assets from older games like persona 4 arena?

7. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Yes, that game. It's fine if you don't think it's worth buying because of that or the price. :)

8. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    The first hit is free, but only for the duration of the weekend. I miss the permanently free last-version-of-the-game.

9. Priestiality

Priestiality GBAtemp Regular

May 23, 2018
    United States
    lol BlazBlue. One of the the WORST offenders when it comes to on-disc and excessive DLC practices.

10. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Nothing shall ever top Train Simulator as having "excessive DLC". Not many games have $2000 worth of DLC.

Justinde75 likes this.
  11. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    Fixed that for you.

Justinde75 likes this.
  12. DS1

DS1 伝説の雀士

Feb 18, 2009
    United States
    Yes!
    If you've got a good PC, I think everyone should try out Tekken 7. It was one of the only reasons I got a PS4, love that series.

Justinde75 likes this.
  13. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    Sad that no one's mentioned the best game in that list; Guilty Gear Xrd. ...also the cheapest. If the rev2. update is free it's doubly worth that tiny price.
    Without a doubt my favourite 'traditional' 2d fighter on current gen hardware.

14. JazzCat.CL

JazzCat.CL GBAtemp Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    Chile
    nice! i already own tekken 7 and sf v on steam... sadly cross tag is boring... just press A A A A A A A A A = ultra combo

15. DS1

DS1 伝説の雀士

Feb 18, 2009
    United States
    Yes!
    They have a similar sale on PSN, I finally grabbed Street Fighter for $24 (they sell it as a package but it's really just SFV for $10 plus 2 packs of 6 DLC characters for $7 each - totally worth it digital, it's cheaper retail though).

Note to people getting Street Fighter - even though the standard Arcade Edition only comes with 12 DLC characters and none of the new ones, you can unlock 2 others for free just by doing tutorials and trials - neither of which takes much effort. This is a big bonus compared to every other fighter which have multiple characters locked behind a pay wall.

UPDATE: They just announced two new characters, who are released tomorrow!! So grab the game now and you'll be able to unlock anyone you want from this season!

Last edited by DS1, Aug 6, 2018 - Reason: PSA
  16. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    They didn't 'just' announce them - they were announced months ago as part of the season 3 content. We knew Sagat was going to be released this week, it just came as a pleasant surprise that they're also releasing G on the same day.

17. Maximilious

Maximilious *whistles his distinct tune*

GBAtemp Patron
    Maximilious is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    Just wanted to pop in here and say that this is also available for Nintendo Switch! I was browsing the eShop and noticed DBFZ had a free download available, and it's actually for this beta weekend! It starts Aug 9th on Switch.

18. DS1

DS1 伝説の雀士

Feb 18, 2009
    United States
    Yes!
    Sorry, what I meant is that they announced their release dates, which is today. Before nobody knew when they would be released.