Homebrew WIP Steam InHome Streaming - Stream your pc games to the Switch!

Eternam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi, first I want to say I am NOT the author of this. The Author is @orangutanfuzz. Please follow him on twitter https://twitter.com/orangutanfuzz where he updates often on his progress.
The only purpose of this thread if for more people to get to know the project and help out. I will try to keep this thread updated with the most meaningful updates.
This is the Gibhut of the project if anyone wants to contribute: https://github.com/orangutanfuzz/nvdec_test
He is working towards getting an alpha version out really soon.

Update 01 - Proof of concept
https://v.redd.it/vufoor604xq11/DASH_9_6_M

Original thread on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/SwitchHaxing/comments/9mcxti/steam_inhome_streaming_progress_01/?sort=old

Last edited by Eternam,

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nice, an equivalent to moonlight on the Vita. Should be awesome when it matures. Be good to play some emulators only the pc can handle well around the house on the switch.

Reactions: jpx86

Wiiunator

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This would be awesome! I posted a thread a couple weeks ago asking about this... I’m really hoping the moonlight port also comes out since it works with the Nvidea native streaming engine which works great most of the time. Parsec is also a very good tool for PC streaming but not not open source though... so this might never reach the switch

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
You can apparently add non-Steam games to your computer's Steam app to stream those too.
But didn't they remove controller support for non-Steam games? Anyways, I have a Steam Link that I got dirt cheap long ago, but rarely use because it seems to have issues with the Switch Pro controller (it keeps losing connection). If I could just use my Switch in its place to play my PC games on my TV and use the Switch controllers, then that would be swell. Maybe even connect a Bluetooth Keyboard/mouse within the streaming app?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm kinda hyped for this. I use In-Home Streaming sometimes to stream to my laptop (or more rarely, my media PC) but being able to stream to my Switch would be so convenient. I might actually have to hack my Switch just for this.
But didn't they remove controller support for non-Steam games? Anyways, I have a Steam Link that I got dirt cheap long ago, but rarely use because it seems to have issues with the Switch Pro controller (it keeps losing connection). If I could just use my Switch in its place to play my PC games on my TV and use the Switch controllers, then that would be swell. Maybe even connect a Bluetooth Keyboard/mouse within the streaming app?
Controllers definitely work in non-Steam games.
Wouldn't this introduce a lot of lag?
Actually, no. My desktop is using 802.11ac, and I stream games to other PCs in my home using In-Home Streaming. None of them are on AC, so I wouldn't say that's a requirement. 5ghz N should be good enough.
I've even tried streaming away from home using a VPN server I set up on my router. Worked almost as well as at home (some minor hiccups with artifacts but latency was still low)

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: hippy dave

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm kinda hyped for this. I use In-Home Streaming sometimes to stream to my laptop (or more rarely, my media PC) but being able to stream to my Switch would be so convenient. I might actually have to hack my Switch just for this.

Controllers definitely work in non-Steam games.

Actually, no. My desktop is using 802.11ac, and I stream games to other PCs in my home using In-Home Streaming. None of them are on AC, so I wouldn't say that's a requirement. 5ghz N should be good enough.
I've even tried streaming away from home using a VPN server I set up on my router. Worked almost as well as at home (some minor hiccups with artifacts but latency was still low)

Well, I don't think I'll have as good as luck then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water