Steam Deck or Aya Neo (Or something else)?

What would you do in my situation?

• Wait a year or longer for the Steam Deck

Votes: 37 88.1%
  • Buy the Aya Neo

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Buy something else

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters

teamlocust

Trophies
XP
Country
India
@Xzi you do know that there are option like the raizer kaishi or ganesir attachment which negate your logic of touch screen controls.
With a subpar screen and subpar battery life you can enjoy your portable steam deck. Barf..
For pc gaming I have my ge76 raider 3080 rtx laptop.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
@Xzi you do know that there are option like the raizer kaishi or ganesir attachment which negate your logic of touch screen controls.
At which point you're making your phone almost as large as a Switch/Steam Deck anyway, and you still have access to very few games aside from emulation.

With a subpar screen and subpar battery life you can enjoy your portable steam deck. Barf..
1080p would be pointless on a seven inch screen, not to mention drain the battery much faster. Why do you think Switch and every other portable PC uses a 720p screen? And since you can't seem to do basic math yourself: minimal workloads like indie games will last 8 hours on Steam Deck, just as advertised.

Good for you. However, just because you broke the bank on a much more expensive and much less portable gaming PC, that doesn't mean you need to talk shit about a device that's clearly got a great price-to-performance ratio and several unique features.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I
At which point you're making your phone almost as large as a Switch/Steam Deck anyway, and you still have access to very few games aside from emulation.

1080p would be pointless on a seven inch screen, not to mention drain the battery much faster. Why do you think Switch and every other portable PC uses a 720p screen? And since you can't seem to do basic math yourself: minimal workloads like indie games will last 8 hours on Steam Deck, just as advertised.

Good for you. However, just because you broke the bank on a much more expensive and much less portable gaming PC, that doesn't mean you need to talk shit about a device that's clearly got a great price-to-performance ratio and several unique features.
'd like to throw this out there. there's only one portable/handheld pc that uses 2,5K resolutioon iunstead of 720p, the One XPlayer. it looks so beautiful on a 8,4 inch screen

Reactions: Xzi

teamlocust

Trophies
XP
Country
India
@Xzi
I am not talking shit but stating facts which you are ignoring just because......
Subpar battery life is fact, subpar battery is fact, portability is defeated instantly with battery life and yes people will lug around a powerbank for this.
The steam deck is flawed and calling it out is the right thing to do.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
@Xzi
I am not talking shit but stating facts which you are ignoring just because......
Subpar battery life is fact, subpar battery is fact, portability is defeated instantly with battery life and yes people will lug around a powerbank for this.
The steam deck is flawed and calling it out is the right thing to do.
The fuck are you smoking, man? You've never even touched the Steam Deck, let alone had time to drain its battery fully. This is purely the sunk cost fallacy speaking.

Reactions: DKB

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

this is some cringe shit my dude oh my gosh

Reactions: Kioku and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to throw this out there. there's only one portable/handheld pc that uses 2,5K resolutioon iunstead of 720p, the One XPlayer. it looks so beautiful on a 8,4 inch screen
Do you own one? I'd be interested to hear how much play time AAA games provide at native resolution on that...it says 10 hours but only for video playback, on a 59 Watt-hour battery. If we do some napkin math and assume it draws 2.5x as much power as Steam Deck at max load (it may be even more than that, they don't disclose), we're looking at about an hour and fifteen minutes. Easiest way to extend that of course being turning down the resolution.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you own one? I'd be interested to hear how much play time AAA games provide at native resolution on that...it says 10 hours but only for video playback, on a 59 Watt-hour battery. If we do some napkin math and assume it draws 2.5x as much power as Steam Deck at max load (it may be even more than that, they don't disclose), we're looking at about an hour and fifteen minutes. Easiest way to extend that of course being turning down the resolution.
mine will arrive by the 20th this month. I have been following a lot of videos on youtube with this device. most say that 2.5K resolution gets you about 1-2 hours of gaming at 30fps. but they also say that 1280x800 and 1920x1080p are perfect for gaming at medium to high settings in most games. I only bought one because I wanted a bigger screen than the gpd win 3 and the aya neo.

Reactions: Xzi

teamlocust

Trophies
XP
Country
India
@Xzi
Clearly I am smoking something which you can't afford. And yes the steam deck battery will suck.. deal with it.
I could care less.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Cringe for you, does not mean cringe for others. I know you are upset when people write abt devices you can't afford.

teamlocust

Trophies
XP
Country
India
@Xzi
Crack is cheap, so you can afford it.
Comparing a rtx 3080 laptop with supposed portable device.. yeah right.. you are smoking crack and it's cheap, so are you. Lol

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@DKB
Yeah I understand you can't afford a laptop with rtx 3080.. lol..

not my fault you spent more money than me for worse performance lol

It's quite obvious you're not the brightest person, considering the fact that you're talking shit about a device has not even released yet. Yeah, maybe it'll suck. Whatever. I don't understand how this translated into a e-peen measuring contest with your laptop.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Crack is cheap, so you can afford it.
Yeah that's what I just said...everybody can afford it. That doesn't mean it's a good idea for you to keep smoking it.

Comparing a rtx 3080 laptop with supposed portable device..
I was pulling my punches before, but the truth of the matter is that buying a laptop with an RTX 3080 is idiotic. Not only because the price is astronomical, but also because it'll throttle the hell out of itself to keep from bursting into flames. Making a good portable PC/laptop is a balancing act between thermals, power draw, and performance. You're probably lucky to get thirty minutes of battery life at max draw, which means playing AAA games on the go is a lost cause.

teamlocust

Trophies
XP
Country
India
@DKB
So you do agree that it may suck in terms of battery life. And yes i spend more money to buy a rtx 3080 laptop, because I can and too bad that you can't . Good for you but don't generalize your opinion as if it's the only way money is well spent. Every one has their own needs.

@Xzi

You can go smoke crack or tell your family to do it, I could care less. From the convo, we were having I would never compare the steam deck with rtx 3080 laptop.
You are an idiot and yes steam deck is a pathetic device primarily built for low income background people like yourself, who can't afford a decent pc.

Last edited by teamlocust,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit