Steam Deck compatibility has been updated with its first group of compatible games

d4e4c324c448bcc1bf43d01e170ceb832d14cc78.jpg

As announced last October, Valve has been reviewing the entire Steam catalog for compatibility with the Steam Deck, and the first batch of compatible games has appeared online. As noted by a user on the r/SteamDeck subreddit, Valve has started updating store listings with Steam Deck compatibility notices, as can be seen by a search on Steamdb.

Valve has been breaking down Steam Deck compatibility into four categories: Verified, meaning it runs perfectly on the Steam Deck; Playable, meaning it might need some tweaks to run correctly; Unsupported, meaning it won't work at all on Steam Deck; and Unknown, meaning Valve simply hasn't checked it yet. Some notable titles that are verified as of now include Dark Souls II, Dark Souls III, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, Death Stranding, and Portal 2. The list is still being updated however, so keep checking this link to see what games are being added.

After a controversial delay close to its original release window of December, Valve recently confirmed that the Steam Deck is still on track to launch in February. When the Steam Deck compatibility program was first mentioned, Valve announced there would be a way for users to check their libraries compatibility before launch. There has still been no updates on that program, but these titles being updated could be the first signs of an official announcement by Valve.

linkchidori

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
the switch is finished after this is released unless you just want to play first party games :lol:
By this point, i dont know if thats even possible anymore. I dont think that most part of the Switch userbase is even made by people who are looking forward to Steam Deck, plus it would be complicated to even match Nintendo's logistics and marketing capabilities in the current situation, as the Deck is not even being sold in most countries. By the time this console chance to shine arrives the Switch will already be on its way out, at least in my opinion.

Joeynator3000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope all of my Steam games, or ones that I wanna play again, are playable here. No idea why they wouldn't be playable. >.>

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's a stupid idea, since it renders one of the most important feature of this handheld gaming device invalid: quick suspend/quick resume.

Imagine having to boot your Steam Deck first, launch a game and load a save just to play while on a 10 minute bus ride. That would render the whole device useless for me.
You know, many peoples want it for emulation of powerful systems like Switch or Ps3, right?
And THIS requires Windows 10 since it won't be compatible with SteamOS ;)

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's a stupid idea, since it renders one of the most important feature of this handheld gaming device invalid: quick suspend/quick resume.

Imagine having to boot your Steam Deck first, launch a game and load a save just to play while on a 10 minute bus ride. That would render the whole device useless for me.

This. The whole selling point for me is that it ISN'T using windows. It's distracting and clunky. Got rid of my GPD win because of it. I have a laptop already, I want something dedicated to gaming.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How funny. They think they can get away copying Nintendo.
they totally will
They have more powerful hardware and a larger library
So yea, they'll get away with it ;)

Reactions: Gronbar and Wolfy

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
just a friendly reminder that just because it isn't deck verified doesn't mean it won't run, ProtonDB is your friend here...It just means you may have to make some user-end tweaks and make some compromises with the game. for example Persona 4 Golden will work if you can make some adaptations.
EDIT:
Ignore the above for info relating to persona 4 golden; latest proton release has apparently made the game compatible and should soon be deck verified if so.

Last edited by AngryCinnabon,

Joeynator3000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they totally will
They have more powerful hardware and a larger library
So yea, they'll get away with it ;)
Also, Nintendo has their own exclusive games...also the console/handheld hybrid thing has been done before....also I don't care about hardware power. lol

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also, Nintendo has their own exclusive games...also the console/handheld hybrid thing has been done before....also I don't care about hardware power. lol
What I mean is that it is more powerful than the switch, which means it can handle more emulator and more games
Maybe YOU don't care about hardware power, but some others do

Reactions: Xzi

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really hoping a lot of Q2 reservations end up shipping sooner than expected.
I have a hunch a lot of Q1 reservations will drop out and goto those early Q2 reservations that got in on the first half hour.
Expecting a lot of Q1 werent serious though I think they get a month to order before it cancels if they dont drop out on purpose.

I'm lookin forward to the freedom the Deck will offer more than anything else.
I'm confident on the controls as I enjoy my Steam Controller a lot.

Just gotta wait and see what happens.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
How the heck does P4G not work.

Vita for life.
Issue with video playback (cutscenes). They're working on a universal solution to that because it's a problem for a number of other games too.

Honestly, I've been on the fence with this thing every since it was announced and reservations happened, and I feel like I'm gonna have to let it go. Not because I think it's not worth the money, but more for the fact of I have enough devices around that fit my needs. (Still can't wait to at least see how emulation runs on it though)
It's probably going to end up replacing my Switch altogether assuming Yuzu/Ryujinx run okay.

Last edited by Xzi,

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
You know, many peoples want it for emulation of powerful systems like Switch or Ps3, right?
And THIS requires Windows 10 since it won't be compatible with SteamOS ;)
Nothing you've mentioned requires Windows at all. RPCS3 and Yuzu both run perfectly fine on Linux. Probably even better than on Windows with less overhead. Quite the contrary, it would be a damn stupid idea to install Windows on the Steam Deck if you're there for emulation in the first place.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to sound pessimistic, but based on the specs, I don't have high hopes for this device since I see the hardware specs becoming outdated within a year or 2. I prefer waiting on the 2nd gen version of this device instead of being a guinea pig. Just my thoughts...

Reactions: Rafciu

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Not to sound pessimistic, but based on the specs, I don't have high hopes for this device since I see the hardware specs becoming outdated within a year or 2. I prefer waiting on the 2nd gen version of this device instead of being a guinea pig. Just my thoughts...
Specs are more than good enough for 30 FPS at 800p, should be for this entire generation. Not sure what else you expect from a portable device; there's always going to be a balance that has to be maintained unless/until somebody discovers a massive breakthrough with battery technology.

There's also no guarantee there will be a second generation since this is mostly a "right time, right place" type of deal. Valve is taking a loss on each unit sold, and they're doing that to subsidize the growth of PC gaming at a time when component prices are otherwise outrageous.

Reactions: CuriousTommy

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Specs are more than good enough for 30 FPS at 800p, should be for this entire generation. Not sure what else you expect from a portable device; there's always going to be a balance that has to be maintained unless/until somebody discovers a massive breakthrough with battery technology.

There's also no guarantee there will be a second generation since this is mostly a "right time, right place" type of deal. Valve is taking a loss on each unit sold, and they're doing that to subsidize the growth of PC gaming at a time when component prices are otherwise outrageous.
From what I've heard, there IS a massive breakthrough in battery technology, and it happened where I live, Province of Quebec
I don't know the details, but it's about solid-inside battery, no idea if it's still lithium though
It will mainly be used in electric cars, but it could see its way into heavy energy demanding portable device someday, idk?

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
From what I've heard, there IS a massive breakthrough in battery technology, and it happened where I live, Province of Quebec
I don't know the details, but it's about solid-inside battery, no idea if it's still lithium though
It will mainly be used in electric cars, but it could see its way into heavy energy demanding portable device someday, idk?
Unless it actually comes to market and proves itself it's another one of those dozens of battery breakthroughs that dies as soon as it lands.

The other problem is that batteries aren't everything. While there are already stronger chips out there they also need more cooling which increases weight and volume. As long as it's meant to be held up while playing we won't be seeing a stronger version that's worth buying any time soon. Maybe in 5 to 6 years when the next smaller transistor size is more affordable in a device like that we'll be seeing the second generation. Anything before then will only be incrementally better by a few percent and not worth the R&D investment.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: