Steam Deck compatibility has been updated with its first group of compatible games

d4e4c324c448bcc1bf43d01e170ceb832d14cc78.jpg

As announced last October, Valve has been reviewing the entire Steam catalog for compatibility with the Steam Deck, and the first batch of compatible games has appeared online. As noted by a user on the r/SteamDeck subreddit, Valve has started updating store listings with Steam Deck compatibility notices, as can be seen by a search on Steamdb.

Valve has been breaking down Steam Deck compatibility into four categories: Verified, meaning it runs perfectly on the Steam Deck; Playable, meaning it might need some tweaks to run correctly; Unsupported, meaning it won't work at all on Steam Deck; and Unknown, meaning Valve simply hasn't checked it yet. Some notable titles that are verified as of now include Dark Souls II, Dark Souls III, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, Death Stranding, and Portal 2. The list is still being updated however, so keep checking this link to see what games are being added.

After a controversial delay close to its original release window of December, Valve recently confirmed that the Steam Deck is still on track to launch in February. When the Steam Deck compatibility program was first mentioned, Valve announced there would be a way for users to check their libraries compatibility before launch. There has still been no updates on that program, but these titles being updated could be the first signs of an official announcement by Valve.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope when this does launch, that they come up with a better solution for tweaks than the current one, which is to go to protondb.com, find your game, and hope someone posted instructions for getting it to work.

Lutris is a tool that automates this, so like instead of running a command yourself, you just open the game through the Lutris launcher and it will automatically do it for you. Something like that, but integrated into Steam would be great since even installing Lutris may be too much for Linux beginners.

whitesword7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Steam deck compatibility list:

Windows 10

Done.
Exactly, imagine having to worry about compatibility list on your new shiny 650$ device.

just install windows 10 on this bad boy and voila, you’ll have 100% compatibility. no need to fiddle with proton, wine, their various fork, vodka, whiskey, soju, etc

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Exactly, imagine having to worry about compatibility list on your new shiny 650$ device.

just install windows 10 on this bad boy and voila, you’ll have 100% compatibility. no need to fiddle with proton, wine, their various fork, vodka, whiskey, soju, etc
That's a stupid idea, since it renders one of the most important feature of this handheld gaming device invalid: quick suspend/quick resume.

Imagine having to boot your Steam Deck first, launch a game and load a save just to play while on a 10 minute bus ride. That would render the whole device useless for me.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hold on...budget cuts and job sim are on that list...so they are going to allow vr, hell ya. I'm sure it wont be able to handle intense games but it'll be a hell of a time straping this dam thing to my back and hooking my quest 2 up to it

Reactions: Tweaker_Modding

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a stupid idea, since it renders one of the most important feature of this handheld gaming device invalid: quick suspend/quick resume.

Imagine having to boot your Steam Deck first, launch a game and load a save just to play while on a 10 minute bus ride. That would render the whole device useless for me.
have you heard of a feature on windows called sleep and hybernate

Reactions: whitesword7

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP

For me it's Windows or Mint. Both feature sleep mode, both start in just few seconds under SSD and both have built in power management features.

I don't know how bad scalping will be for people outside USA, but if I manage afford one unity, I'll clone my BigBox build that runs on Windows 10, runs 100% of steam and GOG games, runs every emulator, and completely hide the OS (you power on, and are inside the bigbox wheel, is that simple).

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Steam deck compatibility list:

Windows 10

Done.
People are gonna install Windows 10 or 11 on it. The amount of people who install another OS is small, but the userbase of specialized gaming PCs like this is even smaller, and it's actually not all that uncommon for people to install buy cheap Windows keys to install on computers that ship with Linux. I've heard it's a pretty regular occurrence in lower income countries because buying a device with Linux saves them some money, then they can buy a $10 Windows key from eBay or sites that sell product keys, or they can install a custom Windows 10 ISO that is either pre-activated, has the activation check removed like Windows AME. In the end they still save like $50+ USD.

Anyone who thinks that the Steam deck is gonna make Linux commonplace is delusional, and I say that as somebody who uses Linux unless running a program on Windows is necessary.

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
have you heard of a feature on windows called sleep and hybernate

For me it's Windows or Mint. Both feature sleep mode, both start in just few seconds under SSD and both have built in power management features.

It's not the same. The APU and SteamOS were specifically built around the feature:

Steam Deck's suspend and resume feature was a top priority for Valve

You'll get nowhere near that just by sleep or hybernate. At least not if it's implemented for Windows or other Linux distros either by Valve or AMD.

Reactions: Xzi

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I've been on the fence with this thing every since it was announced and reservations happened, and I feel like I'm gonna have to let it go. Not because I think it's not worth the money, but more for the fact of I have enough devices around that fit my needs. (Still can't wait to at least see how emulation runs on it though)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well, after a day of pain, i'm gonna catch some zs