Steam Chat mobile app released for iOS and Android

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 23, 2019.

Front-page
    d2c9ed51e2b8f50333b0837a29612453e5492627.

Following the long-awaited release of Steam Link on iOS, Valve has put out another app for mobile users. Steam Chat is now available for download, and is a simple chat app for users that are entirely invested in Steam's ecosystem, and use Steam to message their friends on the go. Steam Chat is currently on both iOS and Android, and features group chats, customizable notifications, and rich chat which allows you to post embedded links, GIFs, game invites, and more. At the time of release, there is no voice call function, though it will be added in a future update.

Valve's currently existing Steam mobile app will be getting some extra refinements and additions as well, which will focus on better account security and improved app navigation.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (18 replies)
  1. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    The app should of been called the steamers unless an American football team is called tht already:lol:

2. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    New Jersey
    so wait is this separate from the Steam app? Apple barred steam link from the app store for being too redundant yet this one slides right in lmaowut

3. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    It was clear from the beginning apple was not being forthright with their true motives

This is why we need a free and open app delivery platform

It's disheartening that people continue to buy locked down products from apple

Google's recent ban of Huawei is equally concerning - but at least you can easily install apks from elsewhere on Android

Orangy57, ZoneBlaze and NoNAND like this.
  4. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Princess of Cuddles

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    On your lap.
    You can already chat in regular steam app.

5. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    Yes, and it's a terrible experience. Very frequently do I get notifications about new messages but when clicking the notification I see no new messages. To actually see the new messages I need to back out of the current chat and re-open it.

6. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Well, is been years since I used the chat option of steam but I could give it a try.

NoNAND likes this.
  7. gamecaptor

gamecaptor R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!

GBAtemp Patron
    gamecaptor is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 22, 2004
    United States
    Hyrule most of the time
    I wonder if Valve is feeling the pinch from Epic, even if just a little bit, and this is why they suddenly feel the need to step up their game.

8. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    The mobile app been on work for at least two years so not really.

They may have just decided to release separate Apps to have it now due to Epic, however.

9. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Why thanks, only 10 years too late.

10. diggeloid

diggeloid Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2019
    United States
    gbatemp.net
    I think their work on improving their chat features is more of a response to Discord than anything else.

gamecaptor and findonovan95 like this.
  11. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Co's VGM Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Justinde75 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    West City
    You used to be able to do that on the facebook app as well, before they moved the whole thing to the messenger app

findonovan95 likes this.
  12. gohan123

gohan123 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    Germany
    well I hope they combine both apps again in the future alongside steam link. really hate it if I have multiple apps for one service.

seseiSeki likes this.
  13. gamecaptor

gamecaptor R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!

GBAtemp Patron
    gamecaptor is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 22, 2004
    United States
    Hyrule most of the time
    Good point!

14. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    So fix the existing app. I don't see the point in having two official apps for the same thing. Besides chatting there's not much you can do with the existing app, it is essentially just a glorified chat client and 2FA app. This would make sense if it was meant as a lite version for chat only, but the existing app is already lite.

I think the Steam Link app should be merged with the Steam app as well. Granted, it's in beta, so that can maybe wait until it's considered stable.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, May 23, 2019
  15. jt_1258

jt_1258 Something

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere
    In all honesty though I don't really see it as epic is fighting by using money to be an exclusives whore instead of providing features to attract people and therefor devs. It's not like steam is missing any features that the epic games store has.

16. stitchxd

stitchxd GBAtemp Fan

Apr 27, 2017
    United States
    nope
    No, this is not concerning. Huawei is a shit company and anyone doing business with them after everything they have done should go out of business. If it was just a matter of "Ah simple mistake in how we handled user data" is one thing, but they actively stole data without knowledge among other things like fu-king corporate espionage.

Deleted_413010 likes this.
  17. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I was just thinking "man I sure hope there is ANOTHER chap app that I haven't installed on my phone yet"

x65943 likes this.
  18. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2019
    United States
    Pallyfornia
    If only they could actually fix the horrible functionality (at least in my experience) the Steam app has on iOS.

To me, it just sorta feels like they went "Eh, the Steam app is already built on such old, decrepit code, let's just start from scratch. But instead of actually starting from scratch and redoing the whole app, let's ONLY do the chat, fragment the experience, and hold a halfway-decent mobile steam chat experience hostage behind the cost of more storage space and another app to update!"