Steam beta update brings back the small library view, for those that prefer the old style

nYwPpV6.png

Steam recently got a big overhaul to its library view, bringing with it large icons for games, new sorting methods, and new tabs, to better keep track of updates and events for a given title. This UI took the place of the old, forcing users to adapt to the new look. However, not everyone liked this style, it reportedly took up more RAM in the background, and after so many years, some found it hard to get used to the change, so Steam has fixed that by bringing back the "small library" mode, the original look, in a beta update. If you opt-in to beta client updates, you can grab the new-old version, which has an option to change your sidebar of games back into a list, (>view>small mode) with tiny icons on the side. Those icons can also be turned off, returning the client back to how it looked, prior to the revamp.

:arrow: Source

• Brought back Small Mode library view and updated to work with Steam Collections and the new Steam Library
  • Added a library setting to hide game icons in the Steam Library’s left column game list
  • Fixed download progress bar and status wrapping to a second line on game pages on smaller windows
  • Compressed game page links bar to one line on smaller Steam windows
  • Post-game summary, game review reminder and other dynamic content on game pages will now fill only one column on wider Steam windows
  • Fixed occasional crashes caused when uninstalling games
  • Fixed Steam client crash after exiting some AutoCloud-enabled games
  • Fixed a case where game icons would sometimes not properly be downloaded and used for the game's desktop shortcut when installing a game. For for previously installed games affected by the problem, validating game contents and recreating the shortcuts should fix the issue.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm really glad that Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back is the highlighted title, and that Bubsy Two-Fur is also owned by the person who took the screenshot.
If I needed to take a screenshot of my Steam library, there was no chance I was gonna select some normie casual game like Dark Souls or Rocket League. I was going for the gold. Everyone has to know the glory of Bubsy.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I needed to take a screenshot of my Steam library, there was no chance I was gonna select some normie casual game like Dark Souls or Rocket League. I was going for the gold. Everyone has to know the glory of Bubsy.
Still haven't seen any bubsy streams. They have released new games (Believe it or not) :creep:

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
New layout is pretty cool, I always used list view anyway so they mostly just filled in a bunch of space that was barely used before. Custom categories were kept in place and everything.

Last edited by Xzi,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was really hoping the new library would make category management less stupid, but no. It seems the only way to rename an existing category is with a third-party tool.

The new library also made it much more difficult to see which games in your library were shared from someone else. Almost as if they were stealthily trying to discourage people from using that feature.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Bubsy is honestly an underrated mascot. The original SNES game was pretty fun, too bad the Mega Drive one was impossible to control though, and then there was the mess known as Bubsy 3D which pretty much ruined the mascot and made everyone hate it. If it hadn't been for that game, the mascot might still be popular today.

Also, @Bubsy Bobcat would approve.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, as a HTPC user, I only use the desktop view for when I absolutely need to use it or it's just more convenient. Otherwise, I wish they made it so Big Picture Mode was more customizable with themes, custom menu layouts, custom sound effects, etc..

Reactions: LunaValeheart

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The small view was awful, they used 75% of the space to show what friends played and recently started games instead of showing the game list I actually wanted to see.

Reactions: souhukyafod

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on