Stealth is "very unhappy with the state of Sonic Origins"

download (1).jpeg

When a team of developers launch their game, it can be a happy moment, one of excitement and anticipation as all that effort and hard work have resulted in a completed product that fans can enjoy. That's true to a degree when it comes to the recently launched Sonic Origins, but there's been some problems as well. Stealth, who is renowned and beloved for his projects and work within the Sonic community, and who is part of the team that helped get Sonic 3 & Knuckles finally released on modern platforms, is not pleased with the end result. Those intricately familiar with Sonic 3 were quick to point out issues and flaws with dev Headcannon's port of the game into the Retro Engine, critisizing them for not having fixed physics and hitbox problems before the game's release.

However, Stealth took to Twitter to let out a long string of Tweets that better explain the situation in its entirety: according to him, Sonic Origins isn't "what [they] turned in" to SEGA, and a lot of bugs and problems that players are having were instead introduced on SEGA's end of things. Stealth mentions how he and Headcannon did all they could so that Origins could be as good as they could make it be, suffering development crunch and stress over getting everything done in time. Some things, he notes as being bugs that Headcannon had to overlook due to the high pressure development, but not all of them are his team's fault. Just ahead of Sonic Origins' launch, the team tried to push some fixes out, but those reportedly weren't allowed due to submission and approval rules, and delaying the game at all just wasn't an option for SEGA. Headcannon has also apparently offered to iron out the bugs and keep working on making Origins better post-release, but the team isn't sure if SEGA will allow that to happen.

Not all is negative, though--Stealth wanted to make sure to mention he's still on good terms with SEGA, and appreciated the opportunity and said that most of SEGA's staff was kind and respectful, just that he wanted to clear the air so fans better knew what went on behind closed doors.

Lv44ES_Burner

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is, honestly, sad to see. I won't put Sonic Team at fault for this, either; no, the fault lies squarely with the upper management at Sega of Japan. I would hazard a guess and give benefit of the doubt to Stealth, as well as to Takashi Iizuka of Sonic Team, as to why Origins has suffered such a mediocre showing of a release because of it.

And it's even sadder when you consider the following: All of this has happened before with Sega. The Western development houses of Sega and the Eastern development houses in Japan have always, always had a disconcerting problem of (being unable to) seeing eye-to-eye. It's corporate arrogance on the SoJ branch's part that has persisted ever since the days of the Sega Genesis in the early 1990s.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Honestly, this sounds like “dog ate my homework”. This is not how you resolve issues - there are obvious flaws with the product which manifested at some point between handing the game in and getting it released. The solution is to get in contact with SEGA and negotiate, look at what went wrong and patch the game. The guy is shooting himself in the foot by publicly venting like this.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Honestly, this sounds like “dog ate my homework”. This is not how you resolve issues - there are obvious flaws with the product which manifested at some point between handing the game in and getting it released. The solution is to get in contact with SEGA and negotiate, look at what went wrong and patch the game. The guy is shooting himself in the foot by publicly venting like this.
Man took responsibility

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was supposed to be the definitive edition of Sonic 1-3&K and CD, yet Sega rushed it out, huh? I hate they do that nowadays.

Sell us an incomplete or even broken product, then fix with an update. 😕

Reactions: Legitendo

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Man took responsibility
It’s not how you do business, plain and simple. I can appreciate “taking his lumps”, but while speech is silver, silence is gold when money’s changing hands. It’s in the best interest of the company to keep such things under wraps and simply state that you’re sorry about the issues and that they’ll be addressed in the future. This isn’t the first game that had a rocky start on release day, and not the last - no point in turning it into a drama.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
It’s not how you do business, plain and simple. I can appreciate “taking his lumps”, but while speech is silver, silence is gold when money’s changing hands. It’s in the best interest of the company to keep such things under wraps and simply state that you’re sorry about the issues and that they’ll be addressed in the future. This isn’t the first game that had a rocky start on release day, and not the last - no point in turning it into a drama.
Transparency is needed

D

Deleted member 575334

Honestly. Its sad to see Stealth and co treated like this. They worked on this because they have a passion for Sonic and its amazing to see them work with such big and well know company as SEGA but i don't get why SEGA didnt opted to delay the game a little. If Stealth and co wanted to fix stuff (and from what i've seen SEGA fucked things up while it was working as intended. "Don't fix if not broken") then i don't get why SEGA said No! While they wanted to fix the game. We will see how this goes. But if i was Stealth i would be very careful at this point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool