Status: 0xc0000017 - There isn’t enough memory to create a ramdisk device

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Jayro, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Jayro
    OP

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I keep getting this error code when I boot my laptop to any kind of Windows-based Preinstall Environment (WinPE) from USB stick:

02_06.png

I have tried all the obvious stuff, ike different USB sticks, different booting methods, YUMI, Rufus, Windows DVD Tool, etc. I even checked the .wim file's scratch space in DISM, and it's set to 512MB. My laptop has 8GB of RAM installed. Memtest x86 passes everything fine, so my RAM sticks are good. The laptop in question is an HP Envy m4-1015dx my friend gave me. It boots Linux distros just fine, but halts on any kind of Windows PE loading. I have the boot mode set to Legacy/BIOS. (UEFI mode booting fails too, not even recognizing the USB stick as bootable media, but that's probably it's own issue.) The laptop has the latest BIOS/UEFI update installed.

I'm completely at a loss here, I've Google'd this issue to death before coming here, and nothing they recommend works. The computer just acts like there isn't enough RAM, and gives up FOR NO REASON. 8GB should be enough to boot even the largest WinPE images without a hitch, and my ISO files boot fine from Virtual PC's and other machines.

Now, having read everything above, is there anything else I can try to get this working?

2. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Try to see how much RAM you have as listed by your BIOS settings. If it's some low number, it may be a weird problem with your BIOS. I would also try removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes.

3. Jayro
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    It sees all 8GB.

4. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Weird possible solution, try disabling "hybrid graphics" in your BIOS (not sure what that is, but it fixed it for someone). Typically you get this error when you don't give enough RAM to a VM but that obviously isn't the case.

Also, try to set boot mode to UEFI Native without CSM. I've also read this could be a driver problem. Try to create a PE image with only the bare necessary drivers.

Last edited by endoverend, Jun 28, 2015
  5. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    my guess it has too much memory xD
    but seriously, can you put only 1gb of ram?
    i had bought a new 32gb usb pen drive.. if i use it to install windows it says it couldn't find a suitable HDD to install windows.... no matter how i partition the hard drive..
    the HDD is there, it can be partition, but i have no idea why if i have that 32 gb pen it says it can't install on the hdd (that was 500gb)
    but if i use a 8gb one problem is solved...

however, if i try to install any type of linux OS it does fine...

what i mean is.. with very recent hardware, old software complain about it...

6. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    What are you using to create the image or is it prebuilt? It sounds like something might not be built right by the PE builder. Try another image like BartPE and see if that boots up just to try to isolate where the error is occurring.

Edit: Also turn off BIOS shadowing/shadow RAM/BIOS caching if you can.

7. Jayro
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I have tried many different Windows-based ISOs, and tried booting them in all different configurations, like flat-file, ISO boot from Grub4DOS, etc... I don't have hybrid graphics, and I'm using Gandalf's Windows 8.1 PE on a 16GB Sandisk USB stick. (It's not a U3 stick, if anyone is wondering). My BIOS has no options for any kind of shadowing, or graphics, or CSM. The ISO images I've tested are all good, they boot on every other machine but mine.

8. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Have you tried only one stick of RAM at a time? Try moving the RAM sticks around in the slots.

9. Jayro
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I'll try that some other day, there's no fast access to the ram, I have to take the laptop apart to access it. Meanwhile, these are my boot options in the bios, and only legacy mode boots my USB sticks:

14355178090970.jpg