Hacking Starting over from scratch on a 4.2U

john.jingle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I just got myself a used Wii with a 4.2U firmware. I have not done any softmodding on it yet aside from the mandatory BootMii and Homebrew channel as well as made a backup of the nand immediately I have installed Bootmii.
What are the current must have apps? Last time I checked, the USB loader GX was the biggest thing and I'm curious to know how the scene has evolved from then.

I'm mainly looking to use it to play usb backups (though disc backups won't hurt either, currently using Neogamma) for Wii and GCN games.

Btw, what the heck is SNEEK? And is it mandatory?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use ModMii to update your softmod. I personally use Configurable USB Loader Mod as my USB Loader of choice. And SNEEK is not needed for what you want to accomplish.

john.jingle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So with modmii, I'll be able to accomplish playing through USBloadergx without any of that cios stub bug thing I can't remember what it is called? I do remember having to update a cIOS every once in a while whenever a new game is released and incompatible with the usbloader.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since the Wii is essentially dead, you probably won't need to worry about updating your cIOS. Just use ModMii and follow the instructions.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well since you've been gone for a while you'll want to update your cIOSs to the newest d2x ones.
You can use that with modmii or use the guide in my sig, it will update everything to the newest version

(Ofcourse if you have the HBC and modmii already installed you can skip step 2 and 3)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: iH