Hacking Starting Gamecube games with USB Loader GX via Nintendont crashes Wii U vWii

geheim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi,

I've got a problem with USB Loader GX. If I start gamecube games, Nintendont loads and shows "Loading IOS58", then "Checking storage devices". And now it crashes with "DSI Exception occured" and I need to pull the power off my Wii U.

Here is a screenshot:
302car4.jpg

If I boot Nintendont directly through HBL everything works fine. USB Loader GX works fine for Wii games as well.
I use R1260 of USB Loader GX and the latest release of Nintendont on my WiiU's vWii.

Perhaps anyone could help me figuring out what's wrong here. If you need any additional information please tell me. @Cyan, I'm tagging you here because you helped me out so much already, perhaps you have some advice again!

Thanks!!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If it crashes inside Nintendont, it's a bug from nintendont.
It seems it's related to USBGX as it happens only when you launch a game from that loader, but maybe you could try different Nintendont settings in USBLoaderGX? if you have time and can tell me which setting is crashing nintendont that would help me (and nintendont devs).
Maybe you could try older nintendont revisions too, so check if it's a recent issue and conflict, or try the same settings in nintendont from HBC.
Thank you.

geheim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's definitely related to USBGX, because all my games are working if loaded directly from HBC.
Of course I'll try to help figuring out what the issue could be. I'll start tomorow and try some older Nintendont revisions. If that doesn't help I'll play around with the settings.

What I can say for sure is that this issue happens only on vWii because the same revisions and settings worked flawlessly on my old wii a few days ago.

Last edited by geheim,

geheim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Cyan
I did some tests today and you were right, the problem seems to lie in Nintendont itself. The last working build is from June 11. All builds from June 18 to the last one on July 23 crash at "Initializing storage devices" if booted through USBGX.
Again, this happens only on WiiU's vWii, on original Wii everything is fine. The issue is not related to settings in USBGX as I tried a few variations.

So, perhaps the Nintendont devs could take a look at it?? I don't know whom I should notify of this thread and issue, perhaps you could do that Cyan??

Thanks to everyone involved!

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
You may post in Nintendont's sticky thread https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258
But they will most probably tell you to load Nintendont directly from HBC and if it works (which you said it does), they will finger point to usbloadergx - it happened before which a "3rd party" dev proved its a problem that can only be fixed from Nintendont's side (not saying it would be the same this case).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ah, it's since the new libfat ?
but USBLoaderGX should unmount any file system and shutdown the device before exiting to Nintendont, and nintendont is the one responsible for re-initializing everything.
It shouldn't be linked to the filesystem itself, but to a bug introduced in nintendont when booting from an external loader.

Like tswntk said, it already happened that Nintendont had an issue and they maintained that the issue was the loader's faults, while it was really a bug in the "reading data sent from a loader" function, not an issue with the sent data. but it ended good and it was fixed after pointing at the real issue.
But unless they want to take a look, it will probably be "the other's fault" :P

Me too, I'm always hoping it's other's faults haha
Anyway, thank you for the tests you did :)
Reporting this to the nintendont thread will allow the devs to checks what's wrong with the booting process.
What's strange is that it's only affecting vWii. maybe there's something that the loader should do before launching nintendont, so I'm not saying USBLoaderGX is completely not at fault, but I'm wondering why only on vWii and only since ExFAT support.

Oh, I also made a revision (1261mod) which allows booting nintendont with games on a GPT partition, but I don't think you are using GPT or you would have told me about the warning message in USBLoaderGX.

Reactions: Yan3

geheim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes it is definitely since version 4, when Nintendont introduced exFAT support.
I'll report it in the Nintendont thread and hope that the devs take a look at it.

No, I'm using a MBR Partition, not GPT. So this can't be the reason. Strange, but I simply hope that the issue will be found eventually. Until then I'll stay on the last working revision.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe they increased the config version at the same time, but in that case it would fallback to default settings without crashing. and it would affect Wii too, so it's not that :/
I hope they can take a look, because a lot of users are launching games from USBLoaderGX. but you are the first one to report it to me.

geheim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I did wonder myself why I am the first one to report it because many people are using Nintendont with USBGX for sure.
It would be great if anyone who is reading this and has the same problem would mention that, too.

I'd guess that there is some problem with re-initializing the hdd, because the crash always happens at "Initializing storage devices"...

Anyways, I just posted in the Nintendont thread, so lets hope any dev will be reading it ;)

owek1

Master Sword Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
been playing for a while..mine does not crash, all latest versions nintendont and usbloadergx but no matter what i do; format hdd to fat32, games in proper folders, and custom paths to USB, the usbloadergx would display my GC games with artworks but keeps saying my game path should be in the primary fat32 when i click "Start". i mean i only got 1 HDD connected and it is on my actual Wii not on vWii as i also got a WiiU, it just wont load from usb hdd..i gave up and just load games off my SD card but storage size is the issue..anyone who is using Nintendont with USB Loader Gx playing games off HDD could u please post your settings, hard drive used, Nintendont version? i dont want to buy another SD card when i got a 500GB Western Digital hard drive..thank you..by the way loading games directly on Nintendont and not via USB Loader GX it shows my games on my usb hdd and plays them fine..so it must be a setting within usbloadergx.. i dont know anymore..

Last edited by owek1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse