I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I've had my wii on 4.0 for awhile now because I've been pretty happy with it. It's been doing most of the stuff I want it to.

Keyword: most

I've noticed there's quite a good number of games that fail to be run via any usb loader because I just get a black screen after the wiimote safety screen. I made a topic about it awhile ago and people kept saying to make sure it's a good dump, use component cables instead of composite (which I have no idea why that would help), or just start from scratch. I'm starting to think it's maybe games with certain 3d codecs that cause the problem. I say this because almost any 2D-like game I've tried works (NSMBW, Muramasa, Super Paper Mario) while alot of 3D games don't work (Conduit, WarioWare, No More Heroes, Trauma Center: New Blood).

So I've finally gotten sick of things not working so I wanted to know the best way to start from scratch on 4.0.

Here's what I got:
  • Cioscorp (not 3.5 I think it was like 3.2 or 3.3)
  • Bootmii beta 2
  • Homebrew Channel 1.0.3
  • 2 NAND backups (1 before cioscorp install made with bootmii beta 2...I think, and one made with only homebrew channel installed and made on beta 1)
  • I obviously can't update bootmii because of cioscorp
  • cios rev 15
  • System menu 4.0
I know the easiest way to do this would be to restore one of the NAND backups, but for one that won't really accomplish what I want...I really want to start from scratch and update to 4.1 to see if that helps, and for the second reason I'm not sure if the backups are good. I remember reading a little bit back that some backups made with the older versions of bootmii may not be good.

I also don't want to update to 4.2 because of the bricking chance and because having all the patched IOSs and the new boot2 is just gonna make things more complicated (I know there's guides out there...but still).

So basically I just want a way to update to 4.1 with all my IOSs overwritten with official ones.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's nothing to do with 3D codecs, I can guarantee you that because those are not stored on the wii. And even if they were, you would need them for NSMBW for the sprites. What do the games do?

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tattar8 said:
It's nothing to do with 3D codecs, I can guarantee you that because those are not stored on the wii. And even if they were, you would need them for NSMBW for the sprites. What do the games do?

I can get further into some than in other. Most of the time I either see the wii remote safety screen, a notice to turn my wiimote sideways, or a copyright screen. After that it's just a black screen. I can do nothing except hard reset my wii, I can't even turn it off with my wii mote.

I've tried installing many different supposed required IOSs for each game but that doesn't work. I've also tried reformatting my usb dozens of times.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
its indeed not because anything related to 3D
and its not for not updating (as 4.1 just gives a small fix and 4.2 removes homebrew)

The cIOS rev shouldn't be the problem since you use USB loaders
But have you tried using hermes cIOS ?
The only other thing I can think of is wrong settings in your loader.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Aaaahhh, I think I know the problem. When I used to install games off of discs straight to USB, I would get the EXACT SAME PROBLEMS. After that my DVD drive died. Even after that when I tried for NO reason to install a game to USB from a ISO mounted on the Wii through Flatmii, it still gave the same problem.

Try loading one of those games through a WBFS manager.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tattar8 said:
Aaaahhh, I think I know the problem. When I used to install games off of discs straight to USB, I would get the EXACT SAME PROBLEMS. After that my DVD drive died. Even after that when I tried for NO reason to install a game to USB from a ISO mounted on the Wii through Flatmii, it still gave the same problem.

Try loading one of those games through a WBFS manager.

That's what I'm using T.T

I'm using WBFS Manager 3.0.1

rolandpibb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Go back to your earliest Nand dump. The early BootMii ones should work fine, google for the "wrong nand" bootmii fix. Why did you install CiosCORP? Everytime I read of a "why won't this one work" nightmare, someone usually has CiosCORP installed.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rolandpibb said:
Go back to your earliest Nand dump. The early BootMii ones should work fine, google for the "wrong nand" bootmii fix. Why did you install CiosCORP? Everytime I read of a "why won't this one work" nightmare, someone usually has CiosCORP installed.

I actually installed cioscorp to try and fix this.

So no, cioscorp is not the cause of the problem.

rolandpibb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DeltaBurnt said:
rolandpibb said:

I don't think you're correct. As I understand CiosCORP replaces just about every System IOS with their own. If you're having problems loading games, I would go back to before CiosCORP (as far back as you can) and start there.

Thank goodness for guides like xzxero's. Takes the guess work out of many things.

antiaverage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rolandpibb said:
DeltaBurnt said:
rolandpibb said:

I don't think you're correct. As I understand CiosCORP replaces just about every System IOS with their own. If you're having problems loading games, I would go back to before CiosCORP (as far back as you can) and start there.

Thank goodness for guides like xzxero's. Takes the guess work out of many things.

It really sounds like your IOS files are messed up. Take a look at this page:
http://wiihacks.pbworks.com/Firmware

While you don't have to go upgrading your firmware, at least read about the IOS files that the page mentions. You'll notice many of them are necessary to run certain games. cIOSCORP may have put them in a state where they aren't working the way the games need them to work.

I would at least recommend going through this list and use dop-IOS MOD or WAD Manager to install the latest versions:

IOS21-64-v782 - Used by: old third-party titles (No More Heroes).
IOS35-64-v3349 - Used by: Super Mario Galaxy.
IOS36-64-v3351 - Used by: Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii. Can be ES_Identify patched.
IOS37-64-v3869 - Used by: Mostly music games (Guitar Hero).
IOS38-64-v3867 - Used by: Some modern titles (Animal Crossing).
IOS53-64-v5406 - Used by: Some modern games and channels.
IOS55-64-v5406 - Used by: Some modern games and channels.
IOS56-64-v5405 - Used by: Only Wii Speak Channel 2.0.
IOS57-64-v5661 - Contains new or updated modules "OHCI0 USB USB_HID USB_HUB USB_MSC USB_VEN ETH"
IOS61-64-v5405 - Used by: Shop Channel 4.x.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: