Hacking Starting a modified AceKart RPG Firmware...

TD-Linux

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So few open source mods in the open for the Acekart RPG...

Why don't we start a Sourceforge/other-SVN-host project to host an alternate firmware of the RPG? Unlike the few scattered and unmaintained firmwares, we could have one big happy firmware. Or two:
I would plan on having at least two editions of the firmware:
1. A firmware that resembles the official version as much as possible, adding features that fit in well with the existing code. This firmware should track the official firmware closely, so it is never more than a version behind. We can't stray too far or merging will be difficult.
2. A firmware that we go crazy with, and build the way we think it would be best. This one will be hard to keep in feature sync with the official, so if the official has a feature we want we will have to cut and paste rather than merge it in.

If someone can think of an interesting project name, or wants to suggest a site other than Sourceforge, I'll create the project. I'll also add you guys to the developer/maintainer list if you post your sourceforge id.

I sadly don't have my RPG yet, so I'll probably just import code now and make sure it builds without having to include the build enviroment.

We could also use this to hold user-created themes - the official RPG ones look like they were designed by IBM.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I personally don't like the backwards code that is the acekard rpg menu. too me having an if statement like "if(1==blah)" is confusing and it should be in a logical order.

So i vote for a rewrite of the menu
tongue.gif

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
I personally don't like the backwards code that is the acekard rpg menu. too me having an if statement like "if(1==blah)" is confusing and it should be in a logical order.

tongue.gif

Is it even possible(or easy) to rewrite the whole menu?
I haven't taken a look at the code yet, so I wouldn't know.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand

tongue.gif

Is it even possible(or easy) to rewrite the whole menu?
I haven't taken a look at the code yet, so I wouldn't know.

I wouldn't say it'd be easy or 'fun' but it would give us more opportunities for customization. Though saying this I'm too lazy to even attempt to start rewriting the menu.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My RPG should arrive this week. Hopefully. I am very interested in this idea of yours although some things seem harder than you said. For example, the copy and paste part, where you said you can just copy and paste the features you want added, that seems extremely tough as the Acekard team changes, adds, and takes out existing code every update.

Other than that, I applaud you for stepping up and proposing to start the developing of Acekard source which hasn't caught on yet to the masses. Anyway, one of the first things we can do is start an organized thread of discussion and development here on GBATemp and if it is successful I am sure we will earn Acekard RPG it's own forum here and hopefully unleash Acekard RPGs full potential.

TD-Linux

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've looked over the code. It is pretty simple, but somewhat devoid of (english) comments. Most of the code is pretty straightforward and well-named though, so it shouldn't be difficult to modify. Yes, tracking the official version will be difficult, and I'm only going to attempt it with the first version mentioned in the topic post. That version should only have a few features added, such as fixed DS Linux support (riiiiiight?) and EZ 3-in-1 support. The hopes would be that these features could be folded back in by the AceKard team, and if not, this version could be used as a drop-in replacement.

However, I do want to go crazy with our own menu system, so I'm most excited about rewriting the menu. Fortunately for us, it seems that the patcher/loader and GUI code is well-separated, so we can easily use the features already in the menu code, such as... ahem... commercial rom loading (so you don't have to carry all those carts around with you - of course!).

AceKard-ng is okay... but I was shooting for something original (which I don't have skills to come up with myself). I suppose I could register the Sourceforge UNIX name under that, or maybe just acekard, and come up with names for the individual versions after. For our own rewritten menu, I especially want a unique name. It would be nice for people screaming HALP! in the forums to identify the card by the name of the firmware, as most likely their problems will be with it. I dunno good names... a nerdy play on AceKard or RPG would be neat.

Maybe I'm going overkill on the naming... but the sourceforge UNIX naming can't be changed... maybe I'll just call it 'acekard' or 'acekard-ng' and get it over with.

OK, here are my ideas for the crazy rewritten menu:
Skins (styles) are made in XML and only have information about how widgets look.
GUIs are also XML files that only have widget layout. They are made up of files, which we can call 'sheets', that indicate how one screen should appear. Buttons can either be set to do actions or lead to another GUI sheet.

Okay, that's a long post with a lot of ideas and a lot of me rambling. I'm going to call that enough for one post and do my homework (back to school tomorrow
frown.gif
).

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You should order an acekard so you can get it soon and see what you can do. For now, I can be your tester when I get my card. Just post your work.
biggrin.gif

D

Deleted User

I'm currently writing a gui toolkit for the nds, and I plan to make a new acekard menu upon it. I'd say that right now the acekard souce code is quite good, so if you don't have a planned list of features you want to add and you just do random edits, you'd better contact acekard to have them include it on their menu instead of makind a fork...
A fork is doomed imho....

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

tongue.gif

I'm no C expert but I think they do that to stop someone from mistakingly writing if (1 = blah), if that happens the compiler would raise an error. In the case of if (blah = 1) it wouldn't.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My acekard just arrived!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
The mailman knocked on the door and gave me my package!!! Ya! Looks great and so far it looks as good as I thought. The joints are WAY stiffer than I thought, what I mean is that the micro SD slot and the USB cable slot need a LOT of breaking into to get the smooth feel of slipping in and out. It's not a problem though and everything looks fantastic already. I tested a couple games including Pokemon Diamond and it works like a charm.
smile.gif
I also tested the 4.06 custom firmware with 3in1 expansion support and that worked beautifully as well. So far, I am loving it!

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
My acekard just arrived!!!Â
biggrin.gif
Â
biggrin.gif
Â
biggrin.gif
 The mailman knocked on the door and gave me my package!!! Ya! Looks great and so far it looks as good as I thought. The joints are WAY stiffer than I thought, what I mean is that the micro SD slot and the USB cable slot need a LOT of breaking into to get the smooth feel of slipping in and out. It's not a problem though and everything looks fantastic already. I tested a couple games including Pokemon Diamond and it works like a charm.Â
smile.gif
I also tested the 4.06 custom firmware with 3in1 expansion support and that worked beautifully as well. So far, I am loving it!
Congrats on getting it! I will be waiting for a review(atleast you say you will write one in your sig
wink.gif
)
Did you also buy an EZ-Flash 3-in-1 with it?

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
golden.....i hate you....i still dont have my acekard and i ordered 11 days before you! im almost sure that theyre keeping it at the post office though, or at least i frickin hope so, its been more than a month since i ordered, ill have to go tomorrow, hopefully the weather isnt too bad....damn you...im jealous

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Congrats on getting it! I will be waiting for a review(atleast you say you will write one in your sig
wink.gif
)
Ya, I'll write a review after I test a BUNCH of things. I will try to test everything everyone has questions about, including the 2 or 3 custom firmwares and see how good the acekard truly is.

And no I don't have a 3in1 although I am thinking of buying one from RHS so it can come in like 2 days and I can fully test it. What I meant was, the 3in1 support LOOKS beautiful as the option is put nicely in the start menu and it looks incredibly easy to use.

golden.....i hate you....i still dont have my acekard and i ordered 11 days before you! im almost sure that theyre keeping it at the post office though, or at least i frickin hope so, its been more than a month since i ordered, ill have to go tomorrow, hopefully the weather isnt too bad....damn you...im jealous
I am almost positive you'll get it when you go to the post office tomorrow or maybe you should try today? It is bound to be there if you ordered 11 days before me.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand

tongue.gif

I'm no C expert but I think they do that to stop someone from mistakingly writing if (1 = blah), if that happens the compiler would raise an error. In the case of if (blah = 1) it wouldn't.

Actually it doesnt matter which way the arguments are around it will still raise an error if you only have one =, what i was pointing out is that i prefer my code to be left to right while the acekard code too me seems right to left.

TD-Linux

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good news about the acekard, then! That's a good thing, because I was about to order today and realized that I miscalculated the price! But I think I'll still order... from Bamboo Gaming, as it seems they are the most reliable of the 3 places to order from.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Good news about the acekard, then! That's a good thing, because I was about to order today and realized that I miscalculated the price! But I think I'll still order... from Bamboo Gaming, as it seems they are the most reliable of the 3 places to order from.
It took exactly 15 business days to arrive to US for me. If you want the acekard you should order now before they run out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: