OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
man, i thought circle of the moon was good.
then i got aria of sorrow and was like "wow, this is so much better!"
then i got dawn of sorrow and was like "this is like aria, only even better!"
now i'm playing portrait of ruin, and i really, really like it so far.

fuckyeahcastlevania.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
never been into the castlevania series, honestly. i always feel like i'm lost - my biggest complaint with the metroid prime series as well.

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i started playing portrait of ruin. it seemed to be working, but i picked up a short sword, and when i tried to hit start and equip it, i got a black screen. do i actually need a patch to play this on dstwo, or was that just an isolated bug? i've heard about it being a problem game.

but yeah, i love the castlevania series. dawn of sorrow is one of my favorite games, and one of the few games i pirated that i played all the way to the end. got decently far into julius mode, but even with alucard it gets insanely hard; you just don't gain enough power when you level to handle the bosses. i also loved how you could pick a playing style in dos. i switched between two set-ups: axe for doing heavy damage to hard-to-hit enemies, and katana for rapid strikes on most enemies.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lords of shadow is a fucking joke, plus it's for 360.

order of ecclesia is better in a lot of departments, but there is such a lack of equippable stuff. weapons included.

portrait of ruin ftw. completed a level 1 hard mode run a while ago. was really fun.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
goli said:
order of ecclesia is better.that'll be my next to play, of course.

monkat said:
never been into the castlevania series, honestly. i always feel like i'm lost - my biggest complaint with the metroid prime series as well.never played prime, but these castlevania games are easy to navigate (as far as 2d is concerned) even compared to super metroid.

quote(mesiskope @ oct 16 2010, 07:40 pm)
lord of shadows is better.
don't got those systems.

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i actually didn't like order of ecclesia that much. the more gothic style was ok, but a few things drove me insane: it was hard, and not in a good way, but in the way that you're going to need to grind to survive some areas. also, to buy things like potions, villagers send you on ridiculously stupid fetch quests before they'll sell them. i liked dawn of sorrow and all the gba castlevania games (including hod) better than ooe.

Mesiskope

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hells malice said:
lords of shadow is a fucking joke, plus it's for 360.

order of ecclesia is better in a lot of departments, but there is such a lack of equippable stuff. weapons included.

portrait of ruin ftw. completed a level 1 hard mode run a while ago. was really fun.
hell-yeah-jesus-and-so-not-a-single-fuck-was-given-that-day.jpg

Warrior522

"In all things, balance."
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rydian said:
man, i thought circle of the moon was good.
then i got aria of sorrow and was like "wow, this is so much better!"
then i got dawn of sorrow and was like "this is like aria, only even better!"
now i'm playing portrait of ruin, and i really, really like it so far.

fuckyeahcastlevania.

damn straight. played and beat all 3 ds games; for a person like me who loves 2d metroid, finding out about (and getting to play) these were some of the happiest moments of my life.
yaynds.gif

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
you know, por wasn't my style it just didn't 'feel' like a castlevania game. hod is good, the music were all amazing to begin with. ooe is awesome, the difficulty is there and brings a different fighting to the system. the only flaw is that you need to do all these side-quests before getting to dracula's castle. cotm is a bit so-so, the card gimmick is good but finding them were a bitch!

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PeregrinFig said:
i actually didn't like order of ecclesia that much. the more gothic style was ok, but a few things drove me insane: it was hard, and not in a good way, but in the way that you're going to need to grind to survive some areas. also, to buy things like potions, villagers send you on ridiculously stupid fetch quests before they'll sell them. i liked dawn of sorrow and all the gba castlevania games (including hod) better than ooe.

I didn't grind at all to survive Ecclesia. Skill could make up for some of the harder parts, just more then other castlevanias.
Villagers quests were kinda fun. I liked the photo getting ones.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Portrait of Ruin was a mixed bag for me. I liked the 2-player mechanic it had going on. It made for interesting interactions and puzzle solutions. But the one thing that really hurt the game was the less-than-impressive bosses which were really a step back from Dawn of Sorrow's sweet bosses. With PoR, you have just a bunch of floating sprites shooting at you.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Castlevania seems so much easier to get into than Final Fantasy.

I mean, Final Fantasy is fun and all, I just don't have that kind of patience.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
raulpica said:
PoR is probably my favourite one, with DoS as a close second. And SotN is probably third *puts flamesuit on*.

Same for me, except replace DoS with OoE.

SoTN is awesome and has a TON to it, but it's just too damn easy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, JonTron's back yet again until he disappears into the void for another 6 or...