Hardware started intensive gaming on my laptop

Zalda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i got a beast of a laptop, i7 processor, ATI 5700 graphics card, 4GB ram. i started playing some mw 2 online recently but the laptop gets really hot. i'm getting worried, I don't want to damage my laptop or shorten it's life span by gaming. at what temperature should I really stop gaming? my cpu is i7 Q720.

my laptop is on a stand so there's a good airflow and I leave my window open for some fresh airs. but after half an hour gaming i'm already at 70 degrees celsius.

can it damage my laptop?

MaxNuker

GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
pffft... 70ºC... once i got my GPU to 90ºC + xD

and no damage here... working as always
smile.gif

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Yes, heat can damage your laptop. HDDs start to wear out at 50C, and a lil higher and it will create its own vibration that'll begin to damage the spindle. CPUs are usually rated to around 90C but set the limits at 70-80C (before throttling or emergency shutdown). GPUs are probably rated at around 100C (they're expected to run hotter) and 60-80C is pretty normal for high end laptop graphics. Enthusiasts aren't happy if the GPU runs over 65C though, so they'll take a number of measures to keep temperatures down.

First and most important bit of advice: maintainance. Clean out the dust. Do this every month. Dust is one of the 3 worst enemies of laptops (along with heat and movement), and it will build up no matter what you do (clogging the vents, lining the heatsinks, weighing/slowing down the fan, and potentially creating static fields). Clean it out, and be thorough.

Enthusiasts tend to take it a step further and replace the thermal paste on the CPU/GPU, although this is only recommended if you've enough experience in taking apart computers to know how to put it back together again without breaking anything. Cleaning the dust and replacing the thermal paste can drop temperatures by around 6-15C (in extreme cases).

After that, as mentioned, get a cooler. A cooling pad to sit the laptop on has become something of an essential buy for stardard/high-end laptops, and some go a step further to buy USB fans to point at the top of the laptop (keeping the keyboard cool). The point of this is that laptops have so little space inside that extra coolers from outside can help the working environment. Stating the obvious, but still.

Otherwise there are some software/OS tweaks you can make to reduce demand on resources, as well as underclocking/volting the GPU to make it run cooler all the time. These things tend to take time and patience to seek out and set up to the right configurations.

Reactions: 1 person

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Buy a cooling pad if you don't already have one (a stand for your laptop that provides better airflow and fan cooling).

I have an ACER laptop (notorious for overheating) and I have mine next to a constantly open window (it's like a breeze trap there's almost always a breeze from that window) whilst on a cooling pad and it barely gets hot at all. Even whilst blaring some music browsing the internet AND playing a game of some sort.

Zalda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
k i'll clean my laptop this summer for dust

like i said, i have a sort of cooling pad. it lifts my laptop about 15 centimers from the ground and underneath it's completely open so the air can cool very good

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
That's a laptop stand, not a cooling pad. The purpose of a laptop stand is to hold the laptop in a comfortable height (i.e. not on your laps) and keep the vents clear (unlike on your lap).

Cooling pads come in two varieties: those that blow air onto the laptop, and those that suck air down. The latter sometimes suffocates the laptop and causes increased temperatures, whilst the former helps push cool air into the air vents and also helps dissipate heat built up in the chassis.

D

Deleted User

Originality said:
That's a laptop stand, not a cooling pad. The purpose of a laptop stand is to hold the laptop in a comfortable height (i.e. not on your laps) and keep the vents clear (unlike on your lap).

Cooling pads come in two varieties: those that blow air onto the laptop, and those that suck air down. The latter sometimes suffocates the laptop and causes increased temperatures, whilst the former helps push cool air into the air vents and also helps dissipate heat built up in the chassis.

Very true, as always. You want to get a cooler that's specialized towards the design of your laptop, especially where the vents, cpu and gpu are located. As far as GPU temperatures go, you really shouldn't worry unless you start hitting 80 Celsius or so, GPU's can take a lot more heat. My GTX 460M usually runs @ around 72 when I'm playing The Witcher on all High settings w/ the identicle i7-720QM. Idle temperatures for our CPU is around 45-50 / 60 when gaming.

If you can find a manual online, I'd recommend cleaning the inner fan/heat sinks out if you're not squeamish, they get surprisingly dusty. Furthermore, it's worth noting that your computer will/should shut itself down to prevent damage if the temperature reaches a certain threshold, say 90 Celsius. What Rydian's mentioned about 50 Celsius and hard-drives rings in accord with me as I've had a few fail over the course of the last two years. (around two, I think).

If you're worried about your specific laptop you'd best check out the forums over @ notebookreview.com (located under "discussion")

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.