Stargate Atlantis is cancelled

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by jumpman17, Aug 21, 2008.

Aug 21, 2008
  1. jumpman17
    OP

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    WTF! It's only 5 episodes into the season. How can you call it so fast? Plus, it has more viewers this season then last season. And how is 1.8 million LIVE viewers plus about another .5 million 3 day DVR viewers not enough to maintain a show. [​IMG]

Source: http://www.syfyportal.com/news425316.html

2. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    It has always been a limited engagement before the producers move onto other SG-related series, but I thought it would get to a 6th season...

3. the_joeba

Member the_joeba GBAtemp Regular

United States
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I think I might just go back in time and destroy the Sci-Fi Channel. Nothing good has come of it. Nothing.

This isn't an opinion. I'm stating pure fact.

4. matrix121391

Member matrix121391 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Eureka!

5. jumpman17
    OP

United States
    Stargate Universe better premiere next year. I've been watching Stargate since SG-1 debuted when I was 9. I don't know what I'll do without Stargate for a year.

I'm sure Eureka will be canned as all good shows on Sci-Fi are. R.I.P. Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica, The Dresden Files, and the back door pilot never made to series Lost Room.

EDIT: Oh, that's something else that makes me mad. Sci-Fi wouldn't guarantee Moore a 5th season of BSG, so he had to shrink the last 2 seasons into the 4th season to make sure the end was told. Then they go and order a movie to air in between the 3rd and 4th season. Then they order a pilot script for a spin off series (Caprica). Then they hold the last 10 episodes for January 2009 even though they could start airing them late fall. Then they order 2 more episode scripts for Caprica. Then they order a prequel movie to air after BSG ends.

6. fischju

United States
    Those shows would have never existed without sci-fi

The Lost Room was an amazing mini series in it's own right, without the need for a series.

Eureka has gotten huge product placement (done comically and fitting into the show), so it should stay for a while

SG-1 has 10 years ffs, the actors have moved on, Tapping didn't renew for any new SG projects so they used her as much as possible in Atlantis, Shanks is doing Burn Notice now, and Anderson could be out of series acting for good.

7. jumpman17
    OP

United States
    Eureka: That's what I though too until I watched this week's episode. Not nearly as bad as Smallville's Stride episode last season, but still.

Tapping: She was still under contract for one more year so they moved her to Atlantis for season 4. And she didn't renew her contract afterwards because she was already committed to the new show Sanctuary coming out on Sci-Fi.

8. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    What next?
    Stargate Doomsday thingymajigs?
    Actually, that could be good.

But the gay cartoon sucks (stargate infinity)

9. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Stargate doesnt do too well here in oz, considereing its shown at like 12 at night.

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    In some ways I like films/miniseries as opposed to a normal series; some shows are painful to watch just trying to make the "magic" 24 episodes, quite in fact the strike actually helped some shows in my opinion (although it in general more harm than good came from it from where I stand (someone who watches TV shows)).

Anyhow courtesy of this machine only just being fixed enough to work I am only halfway through series 9 of the original and somewhere in series 2 of Atlantis, no films other the original and I can happily ignore the cartoon. That has to be good for a few weeks at least, not having seen where it ends up though I am not inclined to say whether it should finish or not.

Oh and for the others a few months back I asked about a viewing older (spoiler free) and it was granted:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=79173&hl=

re: sci fi channel. Having never really tangled with US cable (or similar) TV (plenty of terrestrial though) I seem to mainly get the cherry picked stuff. I agree they have been responsible for some horrific butchering of established franchises (especially some of the resurrections of older franchises) and concepts but they produce enough stuff I am happy to watch to (especially when compared to other networks worldwide) for me to ignore it.

11. noONE

Member noONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweden
    Damnit.. :/
    i'm glad though they'll make it to the 100th Episode (the 100th will be the final episode in s05) [​IMG] , that's atleast something.
    Wonder what they'll do with the new serie.

12. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    It will suck when it is finally over for TV releases.

But I managed to survive the last book of Dune and the last book of the Sword of Truth Series.

Then again, Sword of Truth is being made into made for TV films, so I will just switch over I guess.

Nothing lasts forever. Better it ends a great show than be dragged on when it was already over.

Besides, the Milky Way is safe, all the bad guys wiped out.
    The Wraith officially now suck as adversaries and the Replicators are gone.

Series 5 of Babylon 5 after the Shadows were gone was a series without a purpose. And Crusade was a bad idea at best (even if the few shows I have were enjoyable).

13. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Boooo [​IMG]. Soon all that will be left on tv is crappy reality stuff.

14. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    I'm really surprised, I thought Atlantis was doing rather well. Considering the lack of decent TV series' in the past few years I'm definitlely not happy to see it go; Stargate, Bones and Heroes are about the only good things to come out of the last 2 years. Heck, aside from Battlestar (which I missed the start of) it's the last decent running sci-fi series around.

As for the "sucess of the movies" am I the only one who thought Continuum was a bit of a letdown? Don't get me wrong it was alright, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again.

Those network fatcats better get up off their arses and pull out something decent to replace it. While I was at uni I used to watch about 5-7 shows a week, now I'm down to 3 a year. It's a bit beyond a joke really. Either that or Sky One have gotten so rubbish that they're not bothing to pick things up anymore (actually this might be true, I remember Terminator, Charlie Jade and Jericho all wound up on random channels). Is it just as bad over in the states? Maybe I'll have to pick up some stuff I've missed to fill the void, oh my god I might have to start buying DVD sets [​IMG]

In general I prefer a series of something to movies, I can take a break from whatever I was doing to watch an episode of something for an hour, but a 2 hour block is taking the piss. I've never been much of a movie person anyway.

15. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I don't think sky one has got lazy , just more channels competing for stuff I think. I know Virgin 1 had terminator. It's a shame as the other channels butcher them. Virgin 1 don't even transmit in widescreen [​IMG].

16. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Maybe, but I dare you to rip The Simpsons out of Sky One's schedule and see what's left [​IMG]

17. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    To put an American spin on things: I used to watch quite a bit of television. I mean, good lord, I'd always have the TV on around 8:00. But then there was that lovely Writer's Guild of America strike. TV just died for me then. Heroes in particular with the anticlimatic/rushed ending to season 2, and we generally didn't get anything for the other shows in terms of closure for the season. It didn't stop reality TV, which I would rather die in a fire. And it lasted quite a while too. I just lost interest. And what guarantee do we have that it's not going to happen again this year?

At least not watching TV regularly has freed up my schedule for friends, gaming, and other things. It's the first time I haven't religiously watched shows. =P

18. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    As long as Amanda Tapping is still on the air, I'm fine. I'm going to take it that this will move her new show into that time slot.

19. fischju

United States
    Continuum was like an extended episode (things at the beginning are basically the same as the end), Ark of Truth was much more cinematic and a very good movie.

20. Youkai

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    Well i wouldn't mind seeing Stargate Atlantis die ...

The normal stargate was and is still very very good, but Atlantis sucked bad from the beginning !
    Dunno how its currently but when Atlantis came out barely everyone i knew hated it and the fan forums of Stargate sayed mostly the same.