Gaming starcraft2 LAN PLAY

xorrox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I Searched the forums and found nothing on the subject, figured the community might be interested... anyway, here it is:

Thanks to the great work of many dedicated fans, there is a non invasive way to play SC2 with LAN support, that WILL NOT -EVER- get you banned from B.NET!

It's called StarFriend, currently at version 0.89 - its free, Super easy, and again - WILL NOT HARM YOUR B.NET ACCOUNT!

Legit owners of SC2 version 1.4.2 (current version) can simply download the StarFriend program to its own respective folder and run it
you then either start and host your own server or enter in the details of the one you wish to join, and then choose to start SC2...

It provides you with a custom username and password for your lan parties and keeps that account totally isolated from your legit b.net account
every avatar icon is unlocked off the hop so you can totally customize your setup when you game with your buds,
or if you prefer, you can sign up to any number of private servers to game with others without having "Big Brother" breathing down your neck!

Everything you need can be found quickly through your preferred search engine.
Take a look - its worth it!

xorrox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
essentially that's what this is - a bnet emu... it'll work with just about any version of sc2, Pirated or not... friggin awesome to play a game with both a ping and latency in single digits :P

xorrox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
LOL ok let me try this out just for giggles...
1) even a crappy movie or game isnt AS bad when its free
2) they now have modded maps that include all the original sc1 and broodwar units/abilities
3) because you can
4) the story line campaign is actually really good
5) completeness of a game library for LAN party nights
6) stick it to activision-blizzard or blizzard-activision or whatever the hell they call themselves this week...
7) using the map editor you can now create all kinds of spin off games, there are final fantasy conversions, first person shooters, even PVP mmo conversions...
then play them with friends via LAN
8) cause the game actually is fun but if its not your thing, there isnt anything anyone can do about that... mind you if it isnt - why come into a thread clearly dedicated to it? LOL
9) sc2 has good graphics, alot of variety and many game play modes making each match unique and visually pleasing
10) better than still playing the same 10 year old games, even if they are classics : Empire Earth, Age of Empires, Warcraft3, C&C, etc...

its a random list of 10 would be reasons but hey... who really cares... if you dont want to, dont - if you do, have at it - regardless thanks for giving me a few chuckles while I threw this together :P

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
To be honest, I never liked SC1. I got it free (it came with my brother's limited edition copy of SC2) but I could never push myself through the first campaign. I've always liked RTS games like AoE, AoM, WC3, the earlier C&C games, DR and the DoW games, but SC never did it for me. I even liked Supreme Commander (the only game I know to properly utilize multiple monitors) but even that got a bit meh when you were able to win against the hardest computers all teamed up against you (stupid AI...).

As for SC2, I wonder about it, hence my earlier posts.

xorrox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
playing against other opponents that have a pulse will provide more fun ( or frustration depending on what side of the end results you're on ) than playing against the AI for sure! but they did do a really good job of making the AI more proactive and responsive. They will try to harass you early on, sending in just a few units to disrupt your economy and builders. Later on, they will send squads to test your defenses, and they wont just send wave after wave to crash against turrets and bunkers and the like... They will actually scout it out and try to find a weaker entry point. Out on the battle field, if you out class them, they will turn tail and run. (be it sheer numbers or by force) Honestly on Insane (they're hardest setting) I suck! my wife can hold her own if she gets a lucky break on those first few initial raids, but even she has a tough go of it. If you put 2 or more AI and pit them against each other and against humans, they'll typically target you first! Totally ignoring each other unless one secures something the other wants! I've been very impressed by SC2, and am looking forward to the Heart of the Swarm expansion. Which apparently *should* still work with this, from what testers are saying (WOOT)

OH... there is one thing though - just came across this issue myself... if you are playing on Starfriend and you go two or more human players - you will not be able to put any AI in the map! its a known bug and its being worked on, but it is a pain in the ass! Well, you can "add" them, but they default to Terran and you cant change their difficulty settings, PLUS once in game, they dont do ANYTHING, they just sit at their starting location waiting to die! as of 0.89 its a work in progress. But hey, Starfriend is for playing LAN with and against your buddies - you can play all the campaigns, and any 1on1 AI skirmishes you want. Infact, if it's you alone Versus AI, you can add as many as the map can handle. its weird I know, but whatever... ANYWAY... in terms of what SF accomplishes its still pretty impressive and lets keep in mind that it is beta. They work out bugs as they find them, and it being a pet project worked on for free, its awesome for what it does do, and it does do that very well! :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: