Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake reportedly in development by Aspyr Media

capsule_616x353.jpg

In a recent podcast interview, Bloomberg reporter Jason Schreier revealed that a remake of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic might be coming soon. According to his sources, the remake is in development at Aspyr Media. Founded in 1997, Aspyr has ported games to just about every platform imaginable, including MacOS, Linux, iOS, Android, and just about every major console. They have extensive experience with the Star Wars license, most recently porting Star Wars: Republic Commando to Switch and Playstation 4 at the beginning of the month, and the original Knights of the Old Republic games to mobile back in 2014 and 2015.

Rumours of a KotOR remake have been circling for quite some time. In January 2020, geek culture website Cinelinx reported that a new title in the series was in development, either a reboot or a sequel, and would incorporate elements of both previous KotOR titles to fit into the new Disney canon. Reporting on Schreier's interview, Eurogamer also revealed they had heard reports of Aspyr developing the sequel.

As of right now, it's unclear whether the new title would be a remaster or more of a full-blown remake, as the Cinelinx report suggested. Either way, it appears to be a departure from the direct ports that Aspyr is known for.

D

Deleted User

I was actually thinking about this only like a month ago. EA has involvement in the Star Wars license and they own Bioware who made the first game, so why not do a remake. Seems like a no brainer, and now here it is.

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

Physix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How exactly do they define remake? Is it just the retail game ported over to run on modern systems with upscaled resolution? Or is it a complete overhaul from scratch with new engine and assets?

tigersaman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
How exactly do they define remake? Is it just the retail game ported over to run on modern systems with upscaled resolution? Or is it a complete overhaul from scratch with new engine and assets?
the one you mentioned is remaster. Remake is Remake. like the new FFVII or Shadow of colossus for ps4 or New Demon souls. a worst case scenario is the prince of persia sands of time.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing how half-assed the Commando port was I'm not expecting much from this studio. Especially if they are taking on something as difficult as a remake, let alone reboot/sequel.

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
the one you mentioned is remaster. Remake is Remake. like the new FFVII or Shadow of colossus for ps4 or New Demon souls. a worst case scenario is the prince of persia sands of time.
It's nice to see such a pure person. Please stay innocent.
The marketing departments out there are going to try and rob you of it.

Reactions: tigersaman

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Aspyr is a name I associate with bad ports.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

FFVII isn’t even a remake imo, even though I actually really liked it. I would explain why I think so, but that risks spoiling the game.

Tsundere_Neko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loved the original game but I'm hesitant to get excited, especially if they mess with the system. Everything worked well, all it really needs is some new models and animations and maybe some minor story changes to have it fit the canon. ALSO:
If they get rid of the relationship system I'm rioting.
LET ME LOVE CARTH DAMN IT ALL!

Last edited by Tsundere_Neko,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: