'Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic' launches today on the Nintendo Switch

kotor switch.png

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is getting a remake for PS5 and PC, but if you haven't played the classic title developed by BioWare yet, you can now do so on the Nintendo Switch as of today. To accompany the launch, a new trailer was released:

Four thousand years before the Galactic Empire, countless Jedi Knights have fallen in battle against the ruthless Sith, and now you are the last hope of the Jedi Order. Can you master the awesome power of the Force and save the Republic? Or will you fall to the lure of the dark side? Hero or villain, savior or conqueror... you alone will determine the fate of the entire galaxy!

The Switch version of the game is said to boast HD fidelity with upgraded resolution, textures, UI and cinematics. Other key features of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic include:
  • Journey through the original Star Wars RPG classic, set in an era long before the rise of the Empire and filled with unique characters, creatures, vehicles and planets.
  • Choose your own path with customizable characters and meaningful decisions that will impact your squad, your story and your destiny.
  • Wield your own lightsaber and harness the power of the Force with over 40 different abilities.
  • Adventure through eight enormous and iconic Star Wars worlds, including Tatooine and Kashyyyk, in your own daring starship, the Ebon Hawk.
  • Choose your party from and build everlasting bonds with nine unique crewmates, including Twi'leks, droids and Wookiees.
  • Experience the legend in incredible HD detail with upgraded resolution, textures, UI and cinematics.
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is available on the Switch via the Nintendo eShop for $14.99|£11.29|12,49€.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's possible to load the restored content mods that have since been available, and maybe save editing for the lolz, I would pick this up naturally.

Kotor is one of the few games I ever did an all nighter on, not even intentionally. I was just so drawn in that before I knew it, it was almost morning.

On PC, it's basically a must run on any computer strong enough for it. To that end, it's why Radeon GPUs were just flat out banned in my builds for so long. I had a 9800pro back then, and in short, nothing after catalyst 4.2 let me play the game without crashing constantly.

Nowadays, the amount of kludge I have to do so I can run the PC game at 4k at home pretty much guarantees the same (since Kotor 1, unlike 2, was never updated to work on modern systems well). That said I'd be lying if I said I wanted to play the vanilla game again. The K1R adds so much that it almost feels wrong to go without.

Rohanius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The K1R adds so much that it almost feels wrong to go without.
Whoa, I didn't know about this! I originally played KoToR vanilla. I own KoToR on PC so I'm very open to replaying using K1R. Does this Switch version include the restoration content?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoa, I didn't know about this! I originally played KoToR vanilla. I own KoToR on PC so I'm very open to replaying using K1R. Does this Switch version include the restoration content?
Far as I know, the only guaranteed thing would be the Yavin station, since that was a free update for the original Xbox release.

K1R is a restored content mod by the community that adds some new areas and story missions; some planets have more restored than others. Off the top, the additions make Taris a bit more involved, and the final planet before the star forge exhibits some additional bonus puzzles for some hidden and nice goodies.

Reactions: Rohanius

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh man, i really thought they would change the combat system as i didn't/don't like it in the original at all, i could do with a turn-based combat or straight up 3rd person shooter style combat..
Eh... what? This is just a port of a polished version of the original. Of course it's the same.
Yike! Looks like PS2 graphic or something like that. Oh man!
Let me guess, you're like 14?

sephiro499

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can also cheese the game with ranged attacks. In most areas there is an invisible wall where the enemies can't progress. So basically you just kite higher level enemies until they get stuck and then blast away.

MultiKoopa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Iirc, the big patch was only for Kotor 2, which enabled it to support up to 5K resolution natively and integration with the steam workshop for all the restored content mods to hook into.

No such update was released as of yet for Kotor 1.
I'm almost positive there was some kind of patch for KOTOR 1 a year or two ago; not as big as the KOTOR 2 patch though

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The hell do you expect from a game during the Xbox generation, 4K graphics at 120 FPS?

:teach: That's true but... To be honest with you, I do not care about 120 fps since Nintendo Switch can't handle it anyway and I never say that about 4k graphics either. I just said that It should be remake the way it is going to be for PS5 and PC but not Nintendo Switch. Nintendo owner deserve much better than that. ^_^

Last edited by spotanjo3,
Reactions: HinaNaru Cutie

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:teach: That's true but... To be honest with you, I do not care about 120 fps since Nintendo Switch can't handle it anyway and I never say that about 4k graphics either. I just said that It should be remake the way it is going to be for PS5 and PC but not Nintendo Switch. Nintendo owner deserve much better than that. ^_^

Can't always have your way though.

FFTW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's possible to load the restored content mods that have since been available, and maybe save editing for the lolz, I would pick this up naturally.
@codezer0 I played KOTOR1 like 3 or 4 times, and this is actually the first time I ever heard about this restoration mod! I thought you were confusing KOTOR1 with 2 at first lol. Did some research and it sounds really good. I have a hacked switch, so I wonder if hackers can add the restored content to this version of KOTOR (and KOTOR 2 if it is ever released on Switch) like they did with KOTOR 2 on Android? That would be fabulous! It will also motivate me to play it through one more time now that there is actually new stuff added to it :).

There are a couple of new quests and areas added too btw, right? as the mod description wasn't fully clear on that.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@codezer0 I played KOTOR1 like 3 or 4 times, and this is actually the first time I ever heard about this restoration mod! I thought you were confusing KOTOR1 with 2 at first lol. Did some research and it sounds really good. I have a hacked switch, so I wonder if hackers can add the restored content to this version of KOTOR (and KOTOR 2 if it is ever released on Switch) like they did with KOTOR 2 on Android? That would be fabulous! It will also motivate me to play it through one more time now that there is actually new stuff added to it :).

There are a couple of new quests and areas added too btw, right? as the mod description wasn't fully clear on that.
Yeah; it was most notable in Taris, as some of the quests have more to them; edited in the sense to need more, but to actually make sense to do. There's also more areas to explore.

There's also restored critters on Dantooine. A few more surprises interspersed. It'd be spoiling things to go into detail ;) if you're fine with that, DeadlyStream's page on the mod has a video that goes into more detail to promote it.

Reactions: FFTW

theeternal92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh man, I don't even know if I can even play this game without the community made content anymore. Same goes for the second game if they ever felt crazy enough to release it again without all the fixes.

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if it still generates ridiculously gigantic save files like the Xbox version did.

Great story, phoned-in DND gameplay, shit coding.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs