Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II currently cannot be completed on the Nintendo Switch due to a bug

capsule_616x353.jpg

If you wound up grabbing the port of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II for the Nintendo Switch, there's a nasty surprise waiting for you. There's a game-breaking crash that happens without fail, to players that reach the Onderon basilisk crash cutscene. Publisher Aspyr Media appears to be aware of the problem, after users reported it en masse, but they haven't released a fix yet. The game was released on June 8th, and although a patch to resolve the issue is on the way, there's no ETA on when it'll go live. If you're stuck at that same part of the game that everyone else is, you can try removing everyone from your party, which seems to stop the crashing error for a small few, though you might find yourself caught by another glitch later down the line.

:arrow: Source

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
I'm not shocked an Obsidian game is buggy, but I am shocked an Obsidian game ported over nearly 20 years later by a new studio is buggy...come on, guys.
Seems perfectly plausible to me since you're piling new, port/remaster-related bugs on top of the old bugs. Also, it's less that it's an Obsidian game and therefore buggy, and more that the game is just blatantly unfinished - in that way it's special for an Obsidian game as it's SUPER EXTRA buggy. It's a good life lesson for everyone: get your contracts on paper, no handshakes. Makes you wonder how and why Feargus (and possibly some other key people) still has any credibility after that SNAFU of a publisher deal.

A game a care about, too, so hopefully it'll get fixed. I'm almost through the first KotOR and that's been relatively smooth sailing.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So they basically ported over vanilla KoTOR 2 unchanged despite knowing this was the state of the game without unofficial patches/the restored content mod. Hilarious that Nintendo even allowed it on the eShop.
Nintendo is also the company that sheltered its hardware designers to the point that they didn't even know what Xbox Live is when it came to demonstrating what they had for the Wii U.

It's appalling... but unfortunately, not surprising.

Reactions: Xzi

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So they basically ported over vanilla KoTOR 2 unchanged despite knowing this was the state of the game without unofficial patches/the restored content mod. Hilarious that Nintendo even allowed it on the eShop.
I’m pretty sure the press release I read said it would have all the restored content. This is pretty sad considering they did in fact realize the state of the unmodded version.

Reactions: Xzi

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems perfectly plausible to me since you're piling new, port/remaster-related bugs on top of the old bugs. Also, it's less that it's an Obsidian game and therefore buggy, and more that the game is just blatantly unfinished - in that way it's special for an Obsidian game as it's SUPER EXTRA buggy. It's a good life lesson for everyone: get your contracts on paper, no handshakes. Makes you wonder how and why Feargus (and possibly some other key people) still has any credibility after that SNAFU of a publisher deal.

A game a care about, too, so hopefully it'll get fixed. I'm almost through the first KotOR and that's been relatively smooth sailing.
I think this is an issue on other ports too, like the mobile version.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I’m pretty sure the press release I read said it would have all the restored content. This is pretty sad considering they did in fact realize the state of the unmodded version.
Clearly they didn't want to have to pay the creators of the existing restored content mod, but that being the case, they should've delayed release until they had done the work to add it back in themselves.

Reactions: DS1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte