Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by Veho, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Veho
    OP

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Wooooooot:

(T-hug brought this to my attention but he didn't start a thread about it so I'm stealing his thunder.)

Well this is one giant middle finger to episode VIII, which in turn took a giant dump on Episode VII (severing plot threads and pissing all over the hooks, foreshadowing and hints laid out by Abrams in Force Awakens, derailing the entire new trilogy and sending it tumbling down a cliff). The teaser suggests the third film will try to bring the plot back on track and salvage what it can from the train wreck that was Last Jedi.

So we have "rise of Skywalker" (Rey is Skywalker confirmed ;O; ), some grand vistas on interesting new planets (and some boring old ones *cough*desertplanet*cough*), the return of Kylo's mask, possibly the return of all the hinted-at crumbs that the second film dropped down the crapper; and of course the reassuring "nobody is ever really gone". Mark Hamill will return as a Force ghost because death never stopped a Jedi from interfering with everyone's business, but really this could mean anyone. Snoke? Palpatine? Jar Jar Binks? :ohnoes:

The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is. I dare not hype, but maybe I dare... hope.

2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    As long as it's better than the prequels, I'm good.

The Real Jdbye likes this.
  3. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Addict

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    lol I am thankful they stopped making Star Wars movies back in the 80's... Seriously the new ones are worth watching one time each and then forgetting they exist lol

4. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    that is one of the least interesting trailers I've seen for a star wars movie...
    I don't know, I guess I am just so underwhelmed following the last 2 episodes.
    I kind of liked the Last Jedi but it somehow felt like it ended the series, whatever comes in this next one feels like "that idiot broke everything in VIII now we have to fix everything in IX"

WiiU and Undwiz like this.
  5. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I haven't seen part 8 yet, but I keep hearing that it's pretty bad. I also heard that the han solo movie was so-so. I thought episode 7 was meh, but rogue one was quite good.

Last edited by godreborn, Apr 13, 2019
  6. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    Since they're in the mood to kill off all the original characters in order to steer the story in a new direction that nobody wants, I bet Lando dies in this movie :glare:

Costello likes this.
  7. Undwiz

Undwiz GBAtemp Regular

Mar 25, 2019
    United States
    Rouge one was amazing . Solo -I'm not sure if it even had a plot LOL. 7 not bad I liked it . 8 not entirely bad other then the hide and seek endless crap.. love the fight at the end... I do hope 9 fixes the non-sense and has more to offer then frozen super girl and the cat and mouse junk.

8. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Succubus™ The Adorable Enby

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Hiding from Area 51 guards
    Despite honestly not liking anything Disney has done thus far, I am still going to watch this one. I am really just hoping I actually enjoy one of these movies for once and it's not just another retelling of the original 3 with more pandering.

9. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Last Jedi soured me on the whole franchise, so I’m pretty noped out for this one.

10. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Another Huxleyian Dystopia
    Just get the Despecialized version of the original Trilogy, or read the books, then read the old EU, and never ever ever ever watch the prequels, and especially not the Clone Wars, and certainly any of this Disney train wreck. Though if you must wander into prequel territory, then The Republic Commando books, and Dark Horse comics Dark Times series and everything connected with those (minus the Clone Wars comics) is a must!

11. bandithedoge

bandithedoge GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2018
    Poland
    This shit better be good after the awful last one. The Force Awakens made me think the series is saved and then, well, y'know what happened.

12. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    That being said, it would be funny if they brought back Jar Jar Binks. But maybe only to have him get killed as part of the plot.

the_randomizer likes this.
  13. bandithedoge

Aug 23, 2018
    Poland
    Oh please, anything BUT that jackass.

14. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Read my edit ;)

15. bandithedoge

Aug 23, 2018
    Poland
    Haha, I'd honestly rather have his status unconfirmed than see him ever again. Unless he gets killed at the very beginning.

16. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You gotta admit it would be pretty funny to have him return just to die though. I think that would make a lot of fans happy knowing that Jar Jar is no longer among the living in the Star Wars world, tormenting anyone he comes in contact with on a daily basis.

Costello likes this.
  17. bandithedoge

Aug 23, 2018
    Poland
    I agree, but only for 10 seconds. And don't make him talk dammit.

On a side note, I really think they should make a Star Wars movie in the Old Republic era (which is my favorite SW era). And maybe make references to the KotOR games.

18. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    He has to talk right before he gets killed, just to drive the point home. Otherwise, he can shut up.

19. WiiU

WiiU Lurking in the Shadows

May 7, 2014
    Between worlds of Hyrule & Lorule
    Only if Rose dies with him.

20. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Rose? The chick from Titanic? :P

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted