Star Wars Clone Wars DS Interview and first screenshot

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by granville, Jun 19, 2008.

1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    http://ds.ign.com/articles/882/882648p1.html

[​IMG]

In honor of the new movie and TV series, the DS and Wii are getting exclusive Clone Wars games. This is an interview on the DS version. The graphics look very nice at any rate (first time I've ever seen realistic shadows for 3D models on DS). Hopefully this'll turn out similarly to Ninja Gaiden. Six playable Jedi, lightsaber battles, force powers, and wifi co op. Playable characters:

Obi wan Kenobi
    Mace Windu
    Anakin Skywalker
    Ahsoka Tano (newcomer to the series)
    Plo Koon
    Kit Fisto

Keeping eyes open, but being cautiously optimistic. Said to have intense lightsaber fights (among other action sequences) and puzzle segments.

2. Maktub

Member Maktub GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Spain
    Wifi coop... sounds fine. Hope it won't turn out to be LAN WIFI ¬¬

3. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Yeah, was checkin' out the article earlier, and it's piqued my interest. The rep was really braggin' on the game's graphics (registered graphics whore here). I also hope they nail the all-stylus control. Perhaps they learned a thing or two from Dragon Sword. Looking forward to the game, though I could care less about Star Wars at this point. I grew up as a total fanatic for it when the first movie first released in the 70s, but the Lucas beast has far surpassed the glut of the Empire he created in fiction. That Deathstar needs to get blown out of the sky already.

4. SleepingDragon

Member SleepingDragon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  5. granville
    OP

United States
    My bad. I didn't know there was already another topic for this. Sorry.

6. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    wifi coop? yayy! this will be like..one of the..2? (or maybe it was 3) wifi coop.

7. knightguy363

Member knightguy363 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    least this one isn't legos =S

8. granville
    OP

United States
    I don't know whether it'll be single or multi card co-op but apparently, there are always two player characters on screen at a time. You control one and the CPU controls the other. According to the interview, another person can jump in at any time to take over from the CPU and join your saber antics.

I really hope to see it in action at E3 (not confirmed but likely will make it). The lighting and overall graphics are pretty impressive.

And here's hoping for single card multiplayer co-op! [​IMG]

9. PBC

Member PBC What!? I can change this??

United States
    Intense lightsaber battles Sweeet. I really hope this is online WIFI and not Local WIFI...but I have a sinking feeling its local...ohh well. May the schwartz be with you

[​IMG]

10. granville
    OP

United States
    New screen:
    [​IMG]

Being criticized by DS Fanboy about the graphics BEING UGLY. I don't see anything wrong with the graphics beside looking like an N64/PS1 game, but it looks like they're graphics whores at DS Fanboy. The lighting effects are nice and we don't even know what it's like in MOTION, an important part of a game.

The game is now sporting a subtitle (yes beside Clone Wars): Jedi Alliance. The DS fanboy article speaks of a partner experience system. When you partner two Jedi together, they will get better at working together with time and experience. This "level up" mechanic will supposedly allow you to unlock things that weren't accessible when they were first paired together.

The DS version is said to be a completely different game and story from the Wii version (which will be subtitled: Lightsaber Duels).

11. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Also it will probably look better in motion. I will see how this game turns out.

12. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    I'm sorry but if they said that shot just above is crap I've lost some respect for that site as they're being pricks. For the DS that's some top notch looking detailing for what is there. Any DS game that can come off as mistaken for something on PSX and N64 I'd say is doing something pretty damn right considering the hardware and screen resolution limits.

13. granville
    OP

United States
    Agreed. The DS is great because it DOESN'T need next-gen graphics. It can hold it's own in relation to the N64 and PS1, but I think I speak for everyone here when I say it always gameplay over graphics. The only time I'm upset with bad graphics is when they take away the fun of a game (like the poor frame rate in Rayman DS) or if the game was a remake of an older game and looks much worse (again, Rayman DS). This is DS Fanboy's article:

http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/06/19/star-wa...ot-a-wii-clone/

They said they're looking forward to the game, but it could have looked better. I heavily disagree as it's looking great. I think the DS needs more GOOD and FULLY 3D games (not just those Zelda PH clones with 3D graphics but an overhead view). I'm talking Mario 64's 3D with fully open environments and such.

14. halomasta

Member halomasta GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'll "acquire" this game only if it offers something new that ninja gaiden doesn't...although co-op play does sound interesting...

15. Batman55

Member Batman55 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Remember when Itagaki said other developers asked about using the NG engine...

I hope these guys were the other developers.

16. granville
    OP

United States
    That's not very likely about them using NGDS' engine. The majority of NG was in 2D. The backgrounds were simply prerendered images and the characters were in 3D (think Resident Evil and Final Fantasy 7-9). This game is in full 3D.

It's possible they're using a similar gameplay engine, but not likely they're using the SAME engine.

17. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    Reminds me of people going homophobic over Army of Two.
    This game's bound to create some "OMG gay Jedi couple!" topics too. (Probably on gamefaqs?)

18. granville
    OP

United States
    Obviously it's a possibility. The new Jedi IS a girl though.

19. Stickell

Newcomer Stickell Advanced Member

United States
    wow, the graphics look pretty intense, i hope it looks good in motion still, but that is good for the ds, i think they are using the ds to its fullest! great! [​IMG]