Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gallery_177066_262_7459.jpg

Files for what appears to be a Star Wars: Battlefront game seemed to be on the disc for Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, leading many to believe that Slant Six was (or possibly still is) working on a new game for the popular class-based third person shooter franchise.

BetaGames uncovered the files after a bit of snooping around the disc for Resident Evil's latest outing. The artwork (shown above) depicts possibly a loading screen for the Hoth map. A model for Luke Skywalker, holding his lightsaber in his orange flight jumpsuit, can also be found on the disc.

The history of Battlefront 3 has been a complicated one over the years. An anticipated sequel to Battlefront 2, the game was originally in development by Timesplitters developers Free Radical Design (now Crytek UK). After two years of development though, LucasArts canned the project, leading to the collapse of the studio and their buyout now as Crytek UK. Rumors then came to say that Pandemic, makers of the original Battlefront games, have assumed development, but those turned to be false. More rumors said that Rebellion Developments, makers of the Alien vs. Predator franchise, were developing it, only for it to be revealed as Battlefront: Elite Squadron for the PSP. Speculation then turned to Zipper Interactive, the now-defunct makers of the SOCOM franchise, but that was also proved to be false. The latest rumor seems to be that Spark Unlimited has taken development of the game, although nothing has been confirmed.

Whether this will help bring a "New Hope" to the praised franchise is in the air, but perhaps it will help raise awareness of the fan outcry for the game.

For more on Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, you can read GBAtemp's own review of the game, written by the devilishly handsome p1ngpong.

:arrow: Source

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope they don't ruin a good game series.

I'm kinda hoping this turns out to be false myself, I don't think giving a franchise that was as popular as it was to someone with relatively little experience is a good idea. I could see Free Radical when it was in their hands, since they were basically the talent of Rare beforehand and then went on to make Timesplitters (which is also incredibly popular). Slant Six kinda made like... SOCOM: Tactical Strike (which I don't even think was a TPS), SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo Delta Alpha Charlie Omega Zeta 3 (which no one gives a crap about), and SOCOM: Confrontation (which was apparently quite shit). EDIT: And let's not forget about the game in question, ORC, which is apparently a bottle of ass as well.

I really don't know who I'd give the franchise to. Maybe Epic Games. I'm not a fan of Gears of War but they know how to develop games and know how to make them popular. Putting Epic Game's name on it will put something people already have on their maps on an even wider map.

Can't think of many definitive TPS franchises out there that would have devs who could pick this up.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heard many many positive things about this, sadly never played it. Was this even out for PC, ever?

ORC or Battlefront?

Battlefront has been on the PC, at least 2 was. Pretty sure it still has a rather activity community too. If you like Star Wars, class-based games, or third person shooters (although there's also a FPS mode), Battlefront 2 is the shit. It's probably one of the most fun multiplayer games I've played as well, people would probably still be playing it on the original Xbox if Live wasn't shut down for original Xbox games (interesting fact: It was the second most popular original Xbox Live game after Halo 2).

ORC has a PC port too apparently, from a quick search on Wikipedia, if that's what you were asking. But I've heard it's rather dismal.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Heard many many positive things about this, sadly never played it. Was this even out for PC, ever?

ORC or Battlefront?

Battlefront has been on the PC, at least 2 was. Pretty sure it still has a rather activity community too. If you like Star Wars, class-based games, or third person shooters (although there's also a FPS mode), Battlefront 2 is the shit. It's probably one of the most fun multiplayer games I've played as well, people would probably still be playing it on the original Xbox if Live wasn't shut down for original Xbox games (interesting fact: It was the second most popular original Xbox Live game after Halo 2).

ORC has a PC port too apparently, from a quick search on Wikipedia, if that's what you were asking. But I've heard it's rather dismal.
Battlefront. Would like to see it again on the PC, but it'll probably end up on Origin, not on Steam. Bit sad really, Origin won't work on this PC for the love of me.
Else I would easily pick it up at a discount.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Battlefront. Would like to see it again on the PC, but it'll probably end up on Origin, not on Steam. Bit sad really, Origin won't work on this PC for the love of me.
Else I would easily pick it up at a discount.

It's on the Steam store for $10. I don't see why it'd be on Origin though, the series is published by LucasArts. Although LucasArts is full of dumbfucks for cancelling Battlefront 3 and thinking it was a good idea to pump out the excretions known as Force Unleashed and The Clone Wars games (WHICH WEREN'T SEQUELS TO THE PS2/XBOX/GAMECUBE STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS WHICH WAS THE FUCKING SHIT).

I guess the issue is that a lot of people would develop Battlefront 3 in a heartbeat but since LucasArts owns everything Star Wars related, it needs to basically be green lit by them. I just think that George Lucas has so much money that he can't fit it all in his mansions so he needs his underling companies to can development on anything that will make him lots of money. I guess that's why he did Red Tails, he just needed to burn some cash since it was taking up too much space.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I think there's a pretty big Old Republic mod that adds The Old Republic era to the game (like the stuff from the BioWare games). Pretty sure there's other mods for it to, the game is really popular.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could only wish that the people who worked at Pandemic would work on Battlefront III, but that probably will never happen :sad:

Probably because they went defunct in 2009. Things kinda went downhill for them after Battlefront II. Destroy All Humans!, Mercenaries, and The Saboteur didn't exactly help them stay afloat.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much as I want Battlefront III, after seeing how Operation Raccoon City turned out... well, I'd be worried if the same team handled it.

You know, you would think that getting a sequel made for such a successful and well loved series would be a relatively easy affair. Instead, it's gone through a Three Stooges routine of developers fumbling around with the title. Is it so difficult to get it together?

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt