Star Trek: First Contacts

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by jonthedit, Sep 10, 2013.

1. jonthedit
    OP

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    I have a few questions to those who have worn contacts. (or know about them)
    Before I get into them, let me describe my situation.

- I do NOT need glasses or contacts, I have 20/20 vision. These contacts were to be used for cosmetic/trolling purposes only
    - I bought one contact lense from a relatively known Halloween contact seller online
    - I recently bought this cleaner/solution http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Sterile-Multipurpose-Solution-12-fl-oz/10324536 and have been using it.
    - I do have allergies and need to take zyrtec seasonally.

So basically whenever I manage to get the lens in, it stings like a bitch and makes me incredibly teary. I've tried inverting the contact, but that doesn't help much. Instantly I get a runny nose and a minor headache. My eye will itch and burn. After 30mins of taking the contact out it my headache slowly subsides however the eye pain stays for quite a bit.

What could be the problem? Is it the solution, just me not being used to lenses, or is this caused by my allergies? If so, would taking my medication prevent the inflammation?

Thanks

2. pyromaniac123

pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

Sep 24, 2011
  3. Densetsu

Densetsu Pubic Ninja

Former Staff
    Feb 2, 2008
    United States
    Wouldn't YOU like to know?
    Did you get a prescription for the contacts? If not, you should go see an optometrist. Yes, even for non-corrective cosmetic lens.

What exactly are you allergic to? How long have you been using that same pair of contacts? Does the package indicate how many times they can be used? Are they single-use or reusable? If they're reusable, do you also use a sterilizing solution to clean them? Just using a solution to rinse them (like the one you linked above) isn't enough. They need to be soaked in an enzyme solution that breaks up the proteins that accumulate on the lens surface from prolonged use.

Contacts should never sting when you put them in. If you're using sterile contacts, your hands are clean (and completely DRY--this is important) and your technique for putting them on is good, you should barely feel a thing when they touch your eyeball. In fact, if you do it correctly, you shouldn't even be able to tell the contacts are in your eyes (except in the case of corrective lens, your vision would be better).

4. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Request to rename thread "Star Trek: First Contacts"

mercluke likes this.
  5. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    I use contacts daily since years, and well, sometimes they sting like heck. It has to do with bacteri and germs eventually infiltrating in the "water" (dunno how that's called in english) you use to keep them in when you're not wearing them.

6. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Get a different cleaning/storage solution, maybe you're sensitive to some ingredient. Get a saline solution to rinse the lenses, and rinse them well before inserting them. Google the brand of lenses you bought, see if anyone has had any problems with them. You say you have allergies, do you know what you are allergic to?

How thick are the lenses?

7. jonthedit
    OP

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    Sorry for the late reply, and thank you for all your answers.

I tried again today, with much better results.
    I have taken my zyrtech for 2 days now, and my eyes did not completely crack like last time. I used the contacts for about 30 mins. With a bit of stinging, (much less this time) I only have one extremely red area on my eye, right under my real eye color. I have a feeling that was caused by me jamming it in wrong the first few times before I got it in today. I did not get a headache this time, however a runny nose started again after about 30 mins, (big improvement over instantly!)
    After taking them out just now, my eye is in a bit of pain though. Here is a pic of the spot.

It's a bit hard to see, but it's right under my colored portion of my eye.

Another thing I noticed: After my contact is out, my eye color is green instead of blue. O.O

Attached Files:

8. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Yeaaaah you might wanna see a doctor for that.

9. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Human eyes can have many different types of sizes and curvatures. Getting contacts from an optometrist allows the doctor to determine the type and shape of contact you need. Getting one from the Halloween store... not so much.

I have experienced the stinging issues you have highlighted when using old contacts and when using certain brands of solution. I'm not allergic to anything, but certain solutions just don't seem to agree with me and sting like hell.

Personally, I would never put something from a Halloween store in my eye.

I could live with that. One of the only Star Trek films that wasn't complete shit. (Time travel and a borg queen, though? Really?)

Sicklyboy likes this.
  10. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    " bought one contact lense from a relatively known Halloween contact seller online"

-problem located

probably manufactured in some 3rd world shit hole sweat shop with animal feces on the floor by a 4yo chained to the wall,
    it's probably leeching toxic carcinogenic plastic chemicals directly into your eye, i would toss that shit out, and not wear it on a regular basis, if its for 1 night like halloween ok deal with it for the night ,but i would highly suggest not trying to wear them on any sort of regular basis

mercluke and Ericthegreat like this.
  11. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
  12. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Make sure they are safe and dont have lead paint or somthing on them like other chinese shit, reason ive never ordered them for Halloween.....

The color change could be some type of infection.

13. lukands

lukands I took the little bus here

Mar 27, 2009
    Your mamas house
    I have worn prescription contacts. No way would I stick some crazy Halloween contacts in my eyes. Go to a professional. Your eyes are something you don't want to mess with.

14. Bobbyloujo

Bobbyloujo I am a millipede, I am amazing.

Jul 24, 2010
    United States
    Not really! The first time you put contacts in they burn like heck. Even if they are sterile and your hands are perfectly clean, you are still putting a foreign object into your eye. The more you wear contacts, the more you'll get use to them and the less they'll sting.

I've been wearing contacts for a few years now because my eyesight is freaking awful. I can't even see my own feet without my contacts. Every time I open up a new pair and put them in for the first time my eyes burn for a few seconds. The amount of time they burn and the intensity lessens the more you wear contacts. When putting in a pair of contacts that I've worn before, my eyes don't burn at all. My optometrist told me that all of this is normal when I first got my contracts.

Also, you shouldn't invert the contact. They're like suction cups, they won't stay in as well when they're inside-out. If you find that the more you wear them the less they make your eyes burn then I wouldn't be worried. Though, you never said to what you are allergic. I have seasonal allergies but that doesn't affect my ability to wear contacts and shouldn't affect yours. If you have some eye-specific allergy or some allergy to the material that the lens is made out of then you shouldn't wear contacts.

15. jonthedit
    OP

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    My allergies are the same as yours. However I'm starting to believe I have an eye allergy or some reaction to the materials.

16. Densetsu

Densetsu Pubic Ninja

Former Staff
    Feb 2, 2008
    United States
    Wouldn't YOU like to know?
    That wasn't how my first experience with contacts went. I went to the optometrist to pick up some disposable contacts I had ordered. Since I had never put contacts in before, I asked the optometrist's assistant to show me how to do it. She washed her hands, put the lens on her finger, had me look up and she put it on my eye. I didn't feel a thing.

You need to wash your hands and completely dry them with a LINT-FREE cloth so that there are no fiber particles on your finger, or the fibers will irritate your eye. Your fingertips have to be dry because if there's any water on your fingers, the water tension will cause the lens to adhere to your finger and make it harder to insert the lens. If your fingers are dry, the lens keep their shape better (if they're soft lens), and as soon as you touch your eyeball with the lens, it will "grab" onto the eyeball and leave your finger more easily. So you shouldn't have to actually touch your eyeball with your finger to get the lens in; just let the lens touch your eye. The lens will attach itself to your moist eyeball pretty much by itself as long as your finger is dry.

I wore contacts for years, myself. Most of the time I never felt anything putting them on, but on rare occasions it would sting. Whenever it stung, it was usually due to some negligence on my part. But I find contacts to be a hassle so I switched back to glasses several years ago.

It sounds like to me like all this pain simply isn't worth the cosmetic enhancement.

Seriously, if you're feeling pain on your eyeball, you probably should just stop wearing contacts. It's funny that this topic came up when it did because my friend recently texted me to tell me that she had damaged both her corneas because of contacts.

wrettcaughn likes this.
  17. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    While you may very well have an alergic reaction to the contacts or some material in them, keep in mind that coming from a Halloween shop, they probably don't fit right either. When I got my contacts I had to try four or five different kinds before I found one that didn't cause serious amounts of pain (Ive been using Acuvue Oasis for almost a year now)

18. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Looks like they're irritating your eyes for some reason or other, and you should probably avoid wearing them. What material are they made of? Does it say on the box? Some materials don't let the eyeball breathe and that can cause the capillaries to burst. Or, again, maybe you're sensitive to some ingredient in the contacts or in the storage solution.

"Halloween" and costume contacts aren't meant to be worn for longer periods of time so they're usually low quality garbage, sold under the assumption that the average eye can take a few hours of abuse without falling out. You're going to damage your eyes if you keep forcing those contacts.

The first time I tried out contacts I didn't even feel them in my eye. The only time they sting is when there's some fluff on them (lint-free cloths feel weird and I can never seem to dry the hands completely with them, so I just use a regular fluffy towel). My dad, on the other hand, tried them out once and says it felt like pressing the open eyeball with a thumb. I guess it depends from person to person.