Star Ocean Blue Sphere english translation patch release!

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 18,548
  • Replies 27
  • Likes 3
D

Deleted User

OP
After years in the making, there is now finally a complete english translation of Star Ocean Blue Sphere for the Gameboy (Color)!
Get it on romhacking.net.

Edit: Download link is down!

Last edited by ,

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this the real deal? I've been waiting a very long time for this and bought the soundtrack almost 20 years ago when it came out.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It was removed, as far as I know because some company or whatever called FishyFace Games had some sort of deal to sell reproduction cartridges with the translated rom. Then they stopped and now other group called RetroGamersUS are selling them on Etsy. I haven't found more info on this.

I sort of highly doubt they're doing legal business, seeing how among other fan-translated games put into repro carts are selling Pokémon games.

This is great...

Reactions: Glyptofane

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
When I checked RHDN back in the morning and saw the translation, it had 170 downloads, so the patch is out there, somewhere, I guess sometime down the line someone will share it. I also read that some people dumped the translated rom, but I have not found anything about it besides someone saying it.

We can only wait... Or go to Etsy and buy a repro cart, I suppose.

Reactions: ignare

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The price shown there (10,26€ for me) is only for the empty case that looks like a NDS case. The game is 21€, and almost 32€ for both.

I have no idea if you're allowed to put the patch, Glyptofane. For one, patches have not usually been an issue for sharing, there's lots of patches here in gbatemp after all, on the other hand, it's veeery rare to see a hack / translation removed from Romhacking.net so something weird could be going on...

D

Deleted User

OP
Damn, this is really bad. I´m sorry, I thought this would be the official release.

Johnny675

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to get a copy of this
I had been waiting for the Aeon Genesis translation to be finished then I saw this I grabbed it
I am going to start to play it now and I'll post if I find any bugs or crashes

Ziko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is that an issue that happens with the reproduction carts too, or is just relegated to emulation?

I'm emulating it but since there's pre-patched roms out there, I'll try those copies and see if it was just me patching it wrong.

EDIT: Even with the pre-patched rom, the game still randomly crashes even in battles! This shouldn't be happening at all. I know it's not me. This is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Last edited by Ziko,

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i wouldn't share the patch as it seems to be one tied to someone selling it. I bought the preorder from fishy face and was able to snag the patch so I'll be able to keep it unopened but i hope buddy who did the translation gets compensated fairly.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
i wouldn't share the patch as it seems to be one tied to someone selling it.

That's exactly what I don't get. How the hell could someone make a legal deal to sell cartridges with a copyrighted game? Specially with the current owners of the IP being Square Enix...

Commissioning a translation or hack to privately use is one thing (not one I like, but it has happened before). Someone pays another individual to hack a game. Other times, a company even aproaches a fan-translator and buys their work, like Magical Drop 2, which Aeon Genesis Translation Project was making, but Data East snatched to put in their Data East Classics Collection.

But paying someone to make a translation so you can sell repro carts is quite another. I don't think anyone with two brain cells to rub together would devote as much time as translating a game takes to "help" someone to produce fake carts to make money based around copyrighted content owned by unrelated companies... Or at least, I hope nobody would be stupid enough to jump into such an obvious trap.

Anyway, here's some new info that I didn't have yesterday:

On the RHDN forums discussion about this opened today and the person doing this translation chimed in to say that the patch was stolen and distributed without permission, and in fact is glitchy, unfinished and in his/her own words with "extremely shitty text". While there are many unfinished, broken and terrible translations uploaded in RHDN (mostly from late 90s and early 2000s), that seems to be the actual reason for removing the patch from that website, the author asked for it to be taken away, because not only wasn't finished, it was stolen too. The author also was obviously quite angry about the situation, not very surprising, anyone would be.

I knew it was pretty damn weird to remove the patch for "deal" reasons. There wasn't any logical reason to step forward and try to protect the shady business of some repro sellers, specially when a pretty good chunk of the rom hacking community frowns upon reproductions of hacked games.

Edit: Knowing this and seeing how the translation wasn't finished I feel even worse for the people who bought the carts.

Last edited by Maeson,
Reactions: qaz015393

Bazooka_Face

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhm, what happened to the neon genesis translation int the making? IS this going to be canned now because of these situations

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went ahead and bought the game on ebay. there's only 1 left. it's for the translated version of the cart. I also bought a gba sp, since my gba's screen is so dark that I can barely see anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: