Star Ocean Blue Sphere english translation patch release!

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 18,588
  • Replies 27
  • Likes 3

qaz015393

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's exactly what I don't get. How the hell could someone make a legal deal to sell cartridges with a copyrighted game? Specially with the current owners of the IP being Square Enix...

Commissioning a translation or hack to privately use is one thing (not one I like, but it has happened before). Someone pays another individual to hack a game. Other times, a company even aproaches a fan-translator and buys their work, like Magical Drop 2, which Aeon Genesis Translation Project was making, but Data East snatched to put in their Data East Classics Collection.

But paying someone to make a translation so you can sell repro carts is quite another. I don't think anyone with two brain cells to rub together would devote as much time as translating a game takes to "help" someone to produce fake carts to make money based around copyrighted content owned by unrelated companies... Or at least, I hope nobody would be stupid enough to jump into such an obvious trap.

Anyway, here's some new info that I didn't have yesterday:

On the RHDN forums discussion about this opened today and the person doing this translation chimed in to say that the patch was stolen and distributed without permission, and in fact is glitchy, unfinished and in his/her own words with "extremely shitty text". While there are many unfinished, broken and terrible translations uploaded in RHDN (mostly from late 90s and early 2000s), that seems to be the actual reason for removing the patch from that website, the author asked for it to be taken away, because not only wasn't finished, it was stolen too. The author also was obviously quite angry about the situation, not very surprising, anyone would be.

I knew it was pretty damn weird to remove the patch for "deal" reasons. There wasn't any logical reason to step forward and try to protect the shady business of some repro sellers, specially when a pretty good chunk of the rom hacking community frowns upon reproductions of hacked games.

Edit: Knowing this and seeing how the translation wasn't finished I feel even worse for the people who bought the carts.

What? damn just fully read about it now. Yeah, I'm one who bought a cart from fishy back when it was for sale. never got around to play it since i have a big backlog and was going to play it when i finished bloodstain RotN. so totally unfair and shitty move to do. now i do get some people making repos for collecting and to put it in a collection to display but i hate when they do it for games/ hacks etc that arent complete. like that RetroGamersUS who is doing beta's of pokemon hacks. but those creators/ teams worked hard to make those rom hacks and even mention in the begging its free and if you payed for it you got scammed/screwed.

I think FishyFace should have said that it was buggy instead of making it get to this point where it had to get leaked/stolen in order for everyone to know they lied and the game has issues/bugs.
Hopefully their carts are reflashable and one day we can get a working full game. Especially for all of us who bought from them to reflash our carts and really own a true version we were promised..

dazindude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? damn just fully read about it now. Yeah, I'm one who bought a cart from fishy back when it was for sale. never got around to play it since i have a big backlog and was going to play it when i finished bloodstain RotN. so totally unfair and shitty move to do. now i do get some people making repos for collecting and to put it in a collection to display but i hate when they do it for games/ hacks etc that arent complete. like that RetroGamersUS who is doing beta's of pokemon hacks. but those creators/ teams worked hard to make those rom hacks and even mention in the begging its free and if you payed for it you got scammed/screwed.

I think FishyFace should have said that it was buggy instead of making it get to this point where it had to get leaked/stolen in order for everyone to know they lied and the game has issues/bugs.
Hopefully their carts are reflashable and one day we can get a working full game. Especially for all of us who bought from them to reflash our carts and really own a true version we were promised..

I played the translation that was released it's only buggy on emulators I beat it on my everdrive and ran into 0 crashes glitches or bad grammar it's a complete translation down to the bestiary the only thing that's not is the connection mode.

Reactions: qaz015393

qaz015393

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played the translation that was released it's only buggy on emulators I beat it on my everdrive and ran into 0 crashes glitches or bad grammar it's a complete translation down to the bestiary the only thing that's not is the connection mode.
Oh nice gotcha. So I should be fine playing my cart and also using GameShark (maybe- would like to use some codes and not break the game/save etc but at least with my cart dumper I can replace the save and it should be all good). I also have an everdrive that I was going to play on.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it's an old thread but it'll always benefit from it :

I didn't test it, but I found an ips patch on archive.org, I hope it's not v0.1
Star Ocean Blue Sphere [Eng_Patch], posted on 2020 01 18
https://archive.org/details/staroceanenglish

there's also a prepatched english ROM on reddit, but I can't link it here.

I attached the EN IPS from archive dot org for posterity, just in case.

Attachments

• star_ocean [Eng].zip
    308.3 KB · Views: 212
Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1