Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness is real and is Coming..

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hope it's better than Star Ocean 4. Beautiful game but the combat was such a bad ripoff of Tales that I just lost interest almost immediately because it was so bland.

That extra info does seem interesting though. Guess we shall see, given it'll probably be like 2 years at best before an english version ever comes out anyway. Plenty of time to judge.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hope it's better than Star Ocean 4. Beautiful game but the combat was such a bad ripoff of Tales that I just lost interest almost immediately because it was so bland.

Is this sarcasm or have you never played star ocean except for last hope? The combat system in each title is 99% the same across the series. Each games combat is similar to early tales.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is this sarcasm or have you never played star ocean except for last hope? The combat system in each title is 99% the same across the series. Each games combat is similar to early tales.

You need to study up on what sarcasm means little guy, i'm not sure how my post could even remotely be perceived as sarcasm.

Anyway, similar yes but when it was 2D it was actually different enough to not feel like Tales combat. When they made the switch over to 3D they took the same route as Tales except kinda fucked it up completely. Which is why i'm saying, I hope they do better this time. Purtty simple stuff here.

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Uh, combat has been pretty much the same since Star Ocean 2 actually. The only difference is that it just became faster paced, with Star Ocean 3 adding Weak and Heavy attack types. Don't know how it's similar to Tales when they didn't even have free run until Abyss (I think), which came out in 2005.

Reactions: chartube12

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
l_552ceb46a45f06xx3d.jpg

Generic

l_552ceb4a0086dy4zhu.jpg

Derp

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Uh, combat has been pretty much the same since Star Ocean 2 actually. The only difference is that it just became faster paced, with Star Ocean 3 adding Weak and Heavy attack types. Don't know how it's similar to Tales when they didn't even have free run until Abyss (I think), which came out in 2005.

2D and 3D totally similar, yerrite.
Derp.

Symphonia had "free run" if you played Manual afair. I could be wrong but it really doesn't change anything. Your point is entirely irrelevant to begin with.

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
By free run, I mean being able to move around the battlefield instead of only sideways. Tales couldn't do that until Abyss.

Original SO1 was the only one that was actually a bit different out of the series because you didn't move them around with the directional pad if I remember right. You need to replay SO2 and 3 again if you really think their battle systems are very different. SO3 is basically an improved version SO2's.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have always had trouble getting into Star Ocean games. I tried The Last Hope and ... Uh was the ps2 one Till the End of Time? I just couldn't get past the first few hours.
/Roots around on external drive
Im pretty sure I have First Departure and Second something downloaded for the PSP too

Reactions: nxwing

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
By free run, I mean being able to move around the battlefield instead of only sideways. Tales couldn't do that until Abyss.

Original SO1 was the only one that was actually a bit different out of the series because you didn't move them around with the directional pad if I remember right. You need to replay SO2 and 3 again if you really think their battle systems are very different. SO3 is basically an improved version SO2's.

This. I love both series, but Tales took a few more notes from Star Ocean than the other way around. SO2 was doing what you're claiming way back in 1998, which is like 6 years or so before Symphonia, which doesn't have the free run at all anyways. Besides, if you want a deep and unique action RPG combat system, look at 3 rather than 4. They REALLY dumbed down 4 in comparison to 3. Also, 3 was the precursor to Xbox achievements, and Playstation trophies with it's battle trophy system. Talk about an innovative game.

That being said, Star Ocean games take a notoriously long time to get into and start being good.

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have always had trouble getting into Star Ocean games. I tried The Last Hope and ... Uh was the ps2 one Till the End of Time? I just couldn't get past the first few hours.
/Roots around on external drive
Im pretty sure I have First Departure and Second something downloaded for the PSP too

The series is more about gameplay rather than plot if you ask me. And as Apex has stated, they take quite awhile to actually start picking up because there's usually a lot of info dump at the beginning; not to mention the main characters are known to be quite annoying (except First Departure). Once you start the actual story though, the games become a lot more fun as you go around finding stuff to combine and make better gear and discover new items through the item creation process.

I don't blame you on The Last Hope and Till The End of Time though. The Last Hope was a total trainwreck despite the pretty graphics, and I'd easily consider it the worst in the series. My main gripe with it is that they went with a horrible plot that not only had a gainax ending, but also an annoying cast. It's like they stuffed this game with a whole bunch of common anime tropes, whereas the previous games didn't take them to the extreme.

As for Till The End of Time, this one IMO is probably the one that takes the longest to get into. The first planet you explore is very tedious and is mostly non-plot related. Once you actually land on the main planet of the game, it then takes another hour or two to get interesting when you're finally able to start doing Item Creation.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The series is more about gameplay rather than plot if you ask me. And as Apex has stated, they take quite awhile to actually start picking up because there's usually a lot of info dump at the beginning; not to mention the main characters are known to be quite annoying (except First Departure). Once you start the actual story though, the games become a lot more fun as you go around finding stuff to combine and make better gear and discover new items through the item creation process.

I don't blame you on The Last Hope and Till The End of Time though. The Last Hope was a total trainwreck despite the pretty graphics, and I'd easily consider it the worst in the series. My main gripe with it is that they went with a horrible plot that not only had a gainax ending, but also an annoying cast. It's like they stuffed this game with a whole bunch of common anime tropes, whereas the previous games didn't take them to the extreme.

As for Till The End of Time, this one IMO is probably the one that takes the longest to get into. The first planet you explore is very tedious and is mostly non-plot related. Once you actually land on the main planet of the game, it then takes another hour or two to get interesting when you're finally able to start doing Item Creation.

If thats true, then maybe I dont want much to do with SO. I seemed to have more fun running around getting to know the characters and watching them experience the crazy events.

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If thats true, then maybe I dont want much to do with SO. I seemed to have more fun running around getting to know the characters and watching them experience the crazy events.

It's not to say they don't have a decent/good plot per se, more like the plot is the series' weakest point because of how poorly they're executed. I mean, I like how they twist their stories; I just don't like how it make the first halves of the games feel like fillers.

For spoiler reasons I won't say why, but SO3 was the biggest offender in this regard. I mean, the first disc was literally a huge waste of time because none of it is ever touched upon again after the big reveal, except for the last part before the second disc starts. It's like the story writers changed their minds in the middle of the story and decided to end it differently than what they originally planned. At least 1 and 2, had a far more interesting start, even if they were barely relevant anymore once their plot twist kicks in.

EDIT: Oh, but the character interactions during private actions are great and can reveal more of a party member's background history if you're able to catch them before certain story events occur. Some of them are also pretty hilarious too and are well worth the watch. IMO, Second Evolution has the best.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)