Star Fox demo for the Mega Drive / Genesis created by gasega68k

Screenshot from 2023-01-05 13-24-13.png

Romhacking never ceases to amaze and surprise with the possibilities of what some really dedicated and knowledgeable developers can create compared to what was previously thought to be impossible for certain consoles, given their limitations back in the day.

gasega68k, who previously worked on a demo build for Mega Drive / Genesis of Wolfenstein 3D with its full Episode 1 working on the console with full sound, has released a demonstration video of a Star Fox build that's being worked on, with full polygons and music, with the music being downsampled and streaming at 12kHz. The demo features an intro and the 1st level and some movement / shooting from the airwing, looking quite promising for something of that scale running on a mere Mega Drive / Genesis console compared to the SNES and its reliance of the SuperFX ship for 3D effects and polygons.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Is this WITHOUT a special chip?

If there was a VDP version, the SNES version would be even more way behind.

Great work, truly.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
nobody is talking about the sound, that is awesome on this demo despite of the very different nature of the Mega Drive sound components when compared with the Super Nintendo ones. That feat is amazing.

Just take a listen ho different the sounds are:

eternal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I'm all for rom hacks, and reverse engineering stuff for folks, I wonder what the ultimate goal of this is? Moving it over to the genesis to maybe eventually be able to play it faster without the special chip? Or just because... It's going to take a lot of work to get it up to speed.
And there's no way it's going to be able to catch up (in a timely manner) to the semi recent release of the StarFox Ex romhack. Just my uninformed opinion.
StarFox Ex on youtube

edit: wow Starfox came out 30 years ago. we all getting old. 🥴

Last edited by eternal,

mrparrot2

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
nobody is talking about the sound, that is awesome on this demo despite of the very different nature of the Mega Drive sound components when compared with the Super Nintendo ones. That feat is amazing.

Just take a listen ho different the sounds are:

The sound could have been faked. There is no sound effect so it could have been copy and pasted from somewhere else.
(edit: He claims he is streaming samples at 12khz, so it explain why it sounds good. It isn't some sort of MIDI but rather an very low quality audio file)

Now, is this running without a chip? The Virtua Racing port for genesis used a special chip.

• Wow
Reactions: SylverReZ

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
While I'm all for rom hacks, and reverse engineering stuff for folks, I wonder what the ultimate goal of this is? Moving it over to the genesis to maybe eventually be able to play it faster without the special chip? Or just because... It's going to take a lot of work to get it up to speed.
And there's no way it's going to be able to catch up (in a timely manner) to the semi recent release of the StarFox Ex romhack. Just my uninformed opinion.
StarFox Ex on youtube

edit: wow Starfox came out 30 years ago. we all getting old. 🥴
This doesn't exist to replace the original game or anything. It exists just because why not. It's cool.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: