Gaming Star Fox 2015 will have Traditional Controls too!

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
468px-Starfox_1280.jpg
The article states that the game can be controlled using either motion controls or the GamePad's analogue sticks

Source: http://www.gamnesia.com/news/star-fox-wii-u-will-feature-both-traditional-and-motion-controls

This in fact great news but will we be able to play it with the Wii U Pro Controller? That's still to be clarified but knowing Nintendo gives the WUPC the middle finger they might make it a GamePad-controller game unfortunately.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
This in fact great news but will we be able to play it with the Wii U Pro Controller? That's still to be clarified but knowing Nintendo gives the WUPC the middle finger they might make it a GamePad-controller game unfortunately.
I'd like this to be clarified, too. I'm all for enabling the Wii U GamePad in games while we're stuck with it, but Nintendo shouldn't neglect their other controller especially since they are still making and selling it. Whether I'll skip Star Fox or not entirely depends on this condition. Wii U Pro Controller or get lost, Miyamoto.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like this to be clarified, too. I'm all for enabling the Wii U GamePad in games while we're stuck with it, but Nintendo shouldn't neglect their other controller especially since they are still making and selling it. Whether I'll skip Star Fox or not entirely depends on this condition. Wii U Pro Controller or get lost, Miyamoto.

Why do you care about the controller so much? Gameplay and story should be what's important.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you care about the controller so much? Gameplay and story should be what's important.

The controller is part of the gameplay. It is your input for the game. If the controls aren't comfortable or unresponsive, then that can break a game. For games that don't need the second screen, there's no reason for them to not use the Wii U Pro Controller, other than slightly more development time. It wouldn't hurt to have the option, either way.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Because for long gaming sessions it's ideal that they support the Wii U Pro Controller for Player 1 due to being light-weight and ergonomic unlike the GamePad.

Let's say if Star Fox is a really long game then all the more reason to play with the WUPC as it lasts up to 80hrs in total and very rarely will you need to recharge it.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Ergonomics aside my main gripe with the Wii U GamePad is the short battery life and I have the official extended capacity battery installed. I can get about 5 hours of play time in between charges and that's not good. The normal battery gives me around 3 hours of play time. A typical gaming session may last me up to 4 hours and if I'm feeling extra adventurous, I'll go through an all-nighter.

With the Wii U Pro Controller those 12-15 hour sessions are absolutely no problem and my hands do not suffer from fatigue like with the Wii U GamePad after just 30 minutes of play time. Especially with the extended capacity battery as that makes it heavier. I'm also faster with the Wii U Pro Controller. Everything feels closer and my thumbs rest on the analog sticks at a much more comfortable angle. I very much have made it a requirement for a game to support the Wii U Pro Controller now as otherwise I'll skip it. It's that much better than the Wii U GamePad. Never have and never will use any of the second screen enhancements. I only ever try them for 15 minutes in games that make use of the Wii U GamePad, after which I just switch the controller to the Wii U Pro Controller.

I rest my case.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel the same as the person you quoted, sorry but good controls tops gameplay and the story. If the controls sucks the game sucks. here's to hoping for Pro support.

When has Nintendo released a game with sucky controls? 3rd parties yes, Nintendo no. The motion controls work well, the gamepad works well. I don't even own a Pro controller and so far haven't been given a reason to buy one. I play Smash with the gamepad and it's never been uncomfortable or unresponsive.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
When has Nintendo released a game with sucky controls? 3rd parties yes, Nintendo no. The motion controls work well, the gamepad works well. I don't even own a Pro controller and so far haven't been given a reason to buy one. I play Smash with the gamepad and it's never been uncomfortable or unresponsive.

:rolleyes:

Reactions: chavosaur

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Ergonomics aside my main gripe with the Wii U GamePad is the short battery life and I have the official extended capacity battery installed. I can get about 5 hours of play time in between charges and that's not good. The normal battery gives me around 3 hours of play time. A typical gaming session may last me up to 4 hours and if I'm feeling extra adventurous, I'll go through an all-nighter.

With the Wii U Pro Controller those 12-15 hour sessions are absolutely no problem and my hands do not suffer from fatigue like with the Wii U GamePad after just 30 minutes of play time. Especially with the extended capacity battery as that makes it heavier. I'm also faster with the Wii U Pro Controller. Everything feels closer and my thumbs rest on the analog sticks at a much more comfortable angle. I very much have made it a requirement for a game to support the Wii U Pro Controller now as otherwise I'll skip it. It's that much better than the Wii U GamePad. Never have and never will use any of the second screen enhancements. I only ever try them for 15 minutes in games that make use of the Wii U GamePad, after which I just switch the controller to the Wii U Pro Controller.

I rest my case.
A curious thing that I've noticed about all these GamePad games is that the use they have for the GamePad is make it a map and that's about it. Pretty pointless if you ask me because I'd rather see the map on the TV rather than to look down at the GamePad.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

Try Captain Toad. If you move your hands just slightly the camera will also move and yes, this counts as part of the controls too. Terrible feature that should have been absolutely optional.

Smash Wii U with the GamePad also feels like the analogue stick lags in comparison to the GameCube controller which is instant and way more comfortable (maybe not as comfy as WUPC).

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
A curious thing that I've noticed about all these GamePad games is that the use they have for the GamePad is make it a map and that's about it. Pretty pointless if you ask me because I'd rather see the map on the TV rather than to look down at the GamePad.
This.

I'm thankful Nintendo understood this when they added a map on the TV with an update to Mario Kart 8. Who in their right mind looks down on the second screen to check the map when the action is happening on the TV?

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But pilots put the map on their laps, some put them on their yokes, but they don't tape them to their HUDs.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
But pilots put the map on their laps, some put them on their yokes, but they don't tape them to their HUDs.

That's different. Let me explain my example with the 3DS vs. Wii U when playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. On the 3DS, just like with your real world example with the pilot, the main screen (or view) is very close to the second screen (or lap) and so it makes sense to have the map on the second screen. On the Wii U it feels more natural however to have the map on the TV.

Compare this with games that have continuous flow of action between the two screens, e.g. Sonic Rush on DS. Now try imagining Sonic Rush on the Wii U and you'll understand my point: the TV is often far away from the second screen (the Wii U GamePad) and due to the viewing distance, what's on the TV and what's on the second screen looks different in size. You have to adjust every time you switch between the screens. A pilot doesn't have to do that as the map on his lap is within his periphery and the "action" is right there in front of his eyes.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Would it?
I mean aren't there a few games that support wiiu pro but not classic controller???

You read me wrong. A game can support the Wii U Pro Controller, but not the Classic Controller. However, for a game to support the Classic Controller, it would also have to support the Wii U Pro Controller. The exception to the rule is Epic Mickey 2.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You read me wrong. A game can support the Wii U Pro Controller, but not the Classic Controller. However, for a game to support the Classic Controller, it would also have to support the Wii U Pro Controller. The exception to the rule is Epic Mickey 2.

OK that makes more sense.
I'm still looking for a good 3rd party wiiu pro controller as I don't like Nintendo's version

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :tpi: