Hacking Stange USB loader issue

ZachS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
OK before I start into my issue I have a ID-Data external hard drive. It is 160GB. It is plugged into the wall as well as USB. It is formatted to FAT32. I use a Mac at home so I can't tinker around with it like you can on a PC. I am running USBloader1.5 and rev10. Everything else on my wii runs fine (backup loader, wad manager, etc etc.)

Ok I plug in my external drive and start USB loader. It gets to the mounting screen (says mounting 30 sec timeout) and that is it. No error, nothing. It just stis there forever (I left it for about 40mins once to see if it would ever load) I have to power off my wii to get out (no issues occur after this the wii boots up again no problem). I have tried this on both usb slots. I have also tried powering on my drive at different times to no avail

I have searched around so many sites for a fix on this but can't find anything. Is this an issue with rev10? Should I get rev12 or rev9? Or is this an issue with USB loader 1.5 and should downgrade? I assume if it was an issue with my external drive I would get an error message and not a freeze (that is what everyone else who has incompatable drives get).

HELP!

jovanah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ZachS said:
I assume if it was an issue with my external drive I would get an error message and not a freeze (that is what everyone else who has incompatable drives get).

Ive got a Sata 2.5" drive that is incompatable with USB Loader, and i get that same problem, usb loader 1.5 wont actually show me a ret error. but if i connect my IDE drive it works fine, so i woudn't rule out the drive not been compatable. Have you tried a different Hard Drive

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't you have to have the first partition, where the games will be stored, formatted to WBFS to load games using USB Loaders?

You can't use FAT or NTFS or anything else. I didn't think.

I'm pretty sure that is your problem, you have to make that drive (or at least the first partition) dedicated to storing Wii ISOs, you can't run them off of FAT32.

jovanah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
From what i've read it shouldn't matter what format you have the drive because USB Loader will format to WBFS anyway

I've also herd that if you have a partitioned drive that the first one has to be formatted to WBFS, but ive also herd that it doesn't, anyone out there able to clarify this?
My drive is partitioned but the first part is NTFS and the second part is WBFS, I've go over 200gb of data on the NTFS part so i haven't been able to try it the other way around yet, and USB loader will not pickup the drive (unless i've loaded the drive with Geexbox first)

ZachS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Reading about cios rev12. Supposedly that adds support for more USB drives so maybe it will work after that.

Also FAT32 should be fine as the usb loader formats to WBFS anyways (I can't format to WBFS on a mac)

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You should do some tests, every HDD needs something else to get it to work:

Try with cIOSrev10 and cIOSrev12, these 2 might have a different compatbility.

Try with HDD connected and powered before you start the loader.
Try starting the loader, connect and power the HD, and then selecct mount USB.
Try starting the loader, select mount USB, connect the HDD, and then power
Try starting the loader, select mount USB, power the HDD, and then connect it

Also you need to know that from rev12 on, you only can use the bottom port for the HDD, the top one won't recognise the HDD.

PS: If you have WiiConnect24 on, test what happens if you disable it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released