Standard and service/software for setting up furniture in a house in a 3D environment

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Dear developers with too much free time on GBATemp,

I have been thinking since a couple of minutes ago about an interesting project that someone or some company could take upon.
It would be about coming up with a set of standard formats for modelling a house and furniture, so an end user could take the model from his house and models from furniture from e.g. IKEA and play some TETRIS/SOKOBAN/whatever you like in a nice 3D environment to set the house up and see how it look and how to fit everything on it before buying.
In this project the standard file format for modelling should be decided, and the idea should be to promote landlords/real-estate agencies, etc, to provide models for their buildings to the potential clients, as well as to promote companies like IKEA to provide models for their products, so that the end user can easily put all together.
The application where the user sets the parts together could be very well a web based application, or a smartphone app, etc.
Real-state agencies and furniture companies could get a boost in their sales by providing such models, as well as a reduction on returns of product and clients will sure be happier.
The development of that project could be sure funded using some of the many EU Förderung Programmes for improvement of the Quality of Life of citizens, and supported also by companies like IKEA.

As I am a lazy fuck, I haven't looked around, so I don't know if such a service already exists.
Also, again for the same reason, I would prefer if a sharp developer from around here sees a good opportunity in this idea and tries to take its development upon themselves.
But if no one is interested I suppose in time I will try to sell it as a good idea to my company and see if it is suitable to be developed using some kind of funding as the one described above, too lazy for that right now.

For the moment, I will focus on my efforts for moving into a new house, and buying and setting up the adequate furniture the old way.

Yours sincerely,
Lazy ass SarkW

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
You're essentially describing an interior design software, of which many exist.

The problem with what you're describing is, these modeling programs require a fair bit of processing power, or at least more than the average smartphone can provide, so they're mostly for PCs and they're also quite complex to use, so your average person won't know what to do with them.

I suppose someone could come up with a Sims-style "App-for-Idiots", but even then I feel like it might get a bit too complex unless you get a looooot of information from real estate places/furniture places etc to help streamline the process for the average person.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, something like that.
On the one side, an app-for-idiots.
On the other side, a standard format and a promotion to use this standard for everyone.
This way you don't have to create models, you just fetch the model from your furniture provider (e.g. IKEA provides it in their webpage), the same goes for your apartment model.
The idea in the end is to make it very easy for your average idiot to plan what to buy and how to make your house look nice with the minimal effort, I am sure this would promote purchase of furniture, so it could be viable to develop such a standard and promote that practice.

The most similar thing I found in my short search is Sweet Home 3D, but again, you can't get the model for the furniture you plan to buy from IKEA as it is now.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was tapped to be the one to let the guy from the estate agents in when one of the places I was at was being sold. Guy wandered around with a laser level/ranger and his tablet and was done before he left the place.

Another time I was fixing some computers in an estate agent and it turned out they had an online one, albeit with silverlight so I am not sure I count that as web based.
Some of those have toyed with 3d scanners and 360 cameras but that was probably more they have a bigger fondness for gadgets than myself (no mean feat).

I have been tapped to do a few things like this before. I always liked http://www.sweethome3d.com/ and it heads more into the see what your furniture looks like territory. You say you tried it but the furniture library was not for you, I would say go back and look at some of the third party ones as they were... extensive when I was playing. Likewise most people I deal with have all sorts of old and custom furniture and that would be on them to make, and trying to get the average person to do something useful in CAD/3d modelling is hard, to the point that if you can crack that then ignore this home design rubbish as you will have something far more lucrative on your hands. Likewise sweet home does allow you to set custom dimensions and colours for things, to that end you could make a brown block the size of your antique one off cupboard.
As part of all I looked to see what goes and worldwide there does not seem to be a dominant format, though as most things are rendered out as PDF brochures and images it did not matter I guess. Bonus to you though as trying to do this for more general 3d would see you going up against autocad and for CAD a handful of other players but still autocad, many others have tried and failed here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...