stability of wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Richardarkless, Aug 18, 2010.

Aug 18, 2010

stability of wii by Richardarkless at 2:07 PM (1,123 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Richardarkless
    OP

Member Richardarkless GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Hi im wondering if one of you experts could give me a clear answer on whether my wii is stable and wont end up having software issues down the line because Ive done something I shouldnt have

Im pretty much gonna explain from the beginning what I have done to it so far

1. I used this guide http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901 back in April 2009 to mod my 4.2 wii
    2. After that I was all set and usb loader worked fine
    3. 4.3 come out and about a month ago I upgraded to 4.3 using waninkoko's updater, there was really no reason, I knew it wouldnt have had any new features but I decided everything works I may as well go on the latest firmware just like when 4.2 came out, sure nothing was added but people started to upgrade because homebrew worked again with it
    4. The cios's I now got is

ciosx 249 with base 56, 248 with 38 and 250 using base 37
    hermes 202 is v5.1 using base 60, 222 is 38+37 v4, 223 is base 38 v4 and 224 is base 57 v5.1
    I also got cIOS236 (which is ios36 v3351 patched and put in the slot 236) and cmios v4 wiigator

5. I used pimpmywii v2.0 to updated all my ios's except cios 222 and 223 using the default options it gave me
    6. I got bootmii installed in boot2 (the latest backup was when 1.0.8 came out and got 5 more from the previous months, I deleted 2009's nand backups) and got the latest priiloader beta

I think that is everything, I know that if I ever had any problems I can just restore from a working nand but I want to use that as a last resort

As a side note, is there anything I should do to improve the wii at all, Ive got to that point where ive done pretty much everything that its starting to get pretty boring [​IMG]

2. luminalace

Member luminalace GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Nothing you have done seems especially dangerous. You have bootmii/boot2 as well and everything seems up to date!

If your Wii is running well then you have nothing to worry about.

Personally though I wouldn't have updated to 4.3 or used Waninkoko's updater but it's perfectly understandable to want your System menu to be up to date.

3. Richardarkless
    OP

United Kingdom
    ok thanks for your time and yes everything works

I wasnt worried to begin with, I just wanted an experts opinion on everything I have done with the wii and whether it was alright to go that route

Do you have any reason why you havent updated to 4.3 or are you one of those people that say if it aint broken then dont fix it, im the if everything works then why not update kinda person

4. luminalace

Australia
    I really don't think it's needed...4.3 came with ios58 (and 80 if you count the system menu) and that can be easily downloaded to any older Wii with Tantric's IOS installer. Also if some program came along (unlikely but I like playing safe) and made backup games to not work on my Wii or deleted my Homebrew Channel then I can still use bannerbomb to reinstall hbc and re-mod my Wii.

I remember when people said to stay on 4.1 but I still updated to 4.2 so I know where your coming from.

5. Richardarkless
    OP

United Kingdom
    ok I understand, do you have any recommendations on anything I should do to improve the wii experience except from themes which is a no no in my books, ive got to that stage where ive done pretty much everything that its got boring as theres nothing left to experiment with lol

maybe I can try wii linux see what thats like

6. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    if you do try wiilinux then remember oty do a NAND backup with bootmii before you procced just incase

7. Richardarkless
    OP

United Kingdom
    I thought wiilinux was just an app that is ran through hbc so why do I need to backup my nand if nothing with be written to it

8. luminalace

Australia
    You can try Sneek which is probably the next app I will mess with. You need to ask someone else about it though cause I haven't taken the plunge.

Also FYI I use the Darkwii theme on my Wii and haven't had any problems.

ASlso do you have all the emulators? How about Wiimc? What about changing themes on your USB Loader or even the new Homebrew Channel?

On my Wii I have Wii Radio and Wii Earth along with many emulators and WiiMc. Also have WiiExplorer in my apps on my SD card which is useful for updating the meta files in your hbc apps without needing a PC.

9. Richardarkless
    OP

United Kingdom
    I dont really want to try themes for the system menu as ive seen many people experience a brick because of it

yea ive done all that stuff and am up to date with all my apps including hbc

I did try sneek a while ago and it was quite slow